OT: 2016 Rio Summer Olympics

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Lol at the idea that agreeing to pay nearly $11,000 for petty vandalism at gun point isn't shady.
The swimmers acted irresponsibly and likely illegally. They should be treated by public opinion accordingly.

However let's not pretend what took place is above board.
As I said earlier, the swimmers should have paid the entire cost of the repairs, nothing more. Certainly not simply emptying their wallets.
In Canada this would be considered a robbery.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Lol at the idea that agreeing to pay nearly $11,000 for petty vandalism at gun point isn't shady.
The swimmers acted irresponsibly and likely illegally. They should be treated by public opinion accordingly.

However let's not pretend what took place is above board.
As I said earlier, the swimmers should have paid the entire cost of the repairs, nothing more. Certainly not simply emptying their wallets.
In Canada this would be considered a robbery.

Travelling in foreign countries, people need to be smart, not stupid. Try chewing gum in Singapore, or being caught with dope in Indonesia, you'll be lucky to ever get outve jail. This isn't Canada. Those ignorant swimmers got what they deserved.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
You're in a foreign country, representing your country in the highest profile sporting event in the World, and you do this............WTF?

Completely clueless.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Travelling in foreign countries, people need to be smart, not stupid. Try chewing gum in Singapore, or being caught with dope in Indonesia, you'll be lucky to ever get outve jail. This isn't Canada. Those ignorant swimmers got what they deserved.

I had a longer post, but ultimately this thread should focus on the athletics, I think.
We'll have to agree to disagree.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Bishop in 800m final, relay shortly after. Will be a good night. What other medal chances are left? A few in kayak tomorrow plus taekwando? Any bmx medal chance?

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Darn, Japanese protest and now win after Canada won protest, no bronze in the walk.

Ok that's just weird. Japanese appeal to the same body that accepted the Canadian protest (based on careful review I would imagine) and now IOC have overturned their own decision based on the Japanese protest.

Weird but coming from the IOC, its more important what country you come from (and its prestige) than what the correct decision is.

Villert

Dec 29, 2009
Ok that's just weird. Japanese appeal to the same body that accepted the Canadian protest (based on careful review I would imagine) and now IOC have overturned their own decision based on the Japanese protest.

Weird but coming from the IOC, its more important what country you come from (and its prestige) than what the correct decision is.

Yeah, that's my thought as well. Any extended detail is pretty sparse right now. CBC headlines and news regarding the re-appeal are pretty much non-existent right now.

Probably just some garbage IOC protocol regarding protests and appeals, or almost comically more likely - corruption by the IAAF. :laugh:

Last edited:

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France

I don't think much protest was involved, but I'm sure prestige had something to do with the USA ladies being able to re-run the 4x100m. Would have surely been a DQ for most other countries.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't think much protest was involved, but I'm sure prestige had something to do with the USA ladies being able to re-run the 4x100m. Would have surely been a DQ for most other countries.

Things like this is why I have a hard time truly taking the Olympics seriously. There is way too much corruption and differing standards depending on what country you are.

These games have been a disaster with regards to attendance and already a couple of scandals that I hope it prompts serious change going forward. The country of Brazil is going to lose a bucket load of cash on these games.

Also given the dwindling number of cities that actually want to foot the bill of money losing endeavor and the Olympics could be on life support in another decade barring serious a serious overhaul.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
No. Not unless all other avenues have been exhausted and they were exhibiting behaviour that indicated they were going to cause physical harm to the security guards or other patrons of the service station.

This pull first ask questions later type of attitude has violent riots going on in the US right now, so I don't think you are right that public sentiment would be behind security guards.

No one is defending Lochte and the guys behaviour. They were being idiots. Particularly in a foreign country.

But getting a gun pulled on you for a minor vandalism is excessive. I'd probably think it's robbery as well. It's not asking for repayment for the damage, it's extortion. Keep the swimmers in the store until police arrive. Talk to the swimmers. There is 1000x other ways to handle that rather than pulling a gun on them and demanding money. Then to seize people's passports and demand 11K in damage for a minor vandalism. Come on. Let's not paint the Brazilians as completely innocent here.

In Canada maybe. As a security guard in dangerous Rio? I can't say I could tell them they overreacted.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Women's field hockey gold went to shootout, interesting how it works, can shoot from spot or you can get 8 sec and start further back and come in on breakaway, get full 8 sec and can put in rebounds

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00