OT: 2016 Rio Summer Olympics

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Yeah that was a nice surprise! Same for the bloke in the shot put. Biggest surprise medal so far was a silver in shooting. Hoping Lydia Ko wins in the golf next.

London was our best to date, and now we're beating it by 3. We got 8 golds in LA though.

Everyone set record highs in LA though. No USSR and few others made medaling alot easier.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Dq'd because baton was handed from runner to runner past the hand off line

It was actually handed off early, before the zone.

The pass begins when the baton first touches the lead runners hand and is completed when it is only in the lead runners hand. The position of the baton is what they judge, not the runners feet. The pass must occur entirely inside the handoff zone. The US began the first pass too early

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
It was actually handed off early, before the zone.

The pass begins when the baton first touches the lead runners hand and is completed when it is only in the lead runners hand. The position of the baton is what they judge, not the runners feet. The pass must occur entirely inside the handoff zone. The US began the first pass too early

They protested and lost. Interesting that last four olympucs, they drop baton twice, in London medals stripped cause gay was caught drugging, now this, only fitting with two cheaters on the squad.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
No disrespect to Gord Downie and the Hip but this is a little hard to watch as in not so good!

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Didn't think I was going to enjoy these Olympics but I was so wrong. They have been great and outstanding performances and results keep piling in.

Highlight for me so far has been the Canadian Women's Soccer team going back to back bronze. Fell short of Gold but Bronze is better than Silver in my opinion in a team sport because you win your last game.

Big shout-out to Winnipeg's own Desiree Scott (love that girl and her pink bandana)

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Didn't think I was going to enjoy these Olympics but I was so wrong. They have been great and outstanding performances and results keep piling in.

Highlight for me so far has been the Canadian Women's Soccer team going back to back bronze. Fell short of Gold but Bronze is better than Silver in my opinion in a team sport because you win your last game.

Big shout-out to Winnipeg's own Desiree Scott (love that girl and her pink bandana)

I understand the sentiment, I really do. But I dunno, that seems like something you tell kids so they feel better. I'll take a silver every day

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I understand the sentiment, I really do. But I dunno, that seems like something you tell kids so they feel better. I'll take a silver every day

Dunno. I'm of the opinion that you lose to get silver, win to get bronze. Both suck. Just taking my kids opinion on it for the most part though. Gold, bronze, silver at volleyball nationals last three years. Latter two suck and silver seemed to suck more.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road

I guess for me once the crushing dissapointment of losing the game that would've sent you to the Gold medal match is over you get a chance at redemption to win the next game (even though it pales in comparison to winning the gold). You go out on a happier note, while a Silver means your heart is just ripped out at the last moment.

So in one scenario you have elation followed by sorrow (silver)
or
sorrow followed by elation (bronze)

basically I just think if you go to the gold medal game you better damn well win it.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Dunno. I'm of the opinion that you lose to get silver, win to get bronze. Both suck. Just taking my kids opinion on it for the most part though. Gold, bronze, silver at volleyball nationals last three years. Latter two suck and silver seemed to suck more.

I think it all comes down to expectations of athlete or team vs performance. If we saw the expressions change on the men's 4 x 100 team when they went from 4th to bronze it would indicate bronze medal can be amazing. To win an Olympic medal of any kind would be amazing IMO. Now I do get losing a game can be gutting so I understand why a favorite that ended up with Silver could feel crushed in defeat and disappointed they missed Gold so there probably isn't one right answer to this question.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
I guess for me once the crushing dissapointment of losing the game that would've sent you to the Gold medal match is over you get a chance at redemption to win the next game (even though it pales in comparison to winning the gold). You go out on a happier note, while a Silver means your heart is just ripped out at the last moment.

I think it all comes down to expectations of athlete or team vs performance.
I might not have believed bronze> silver until this until last year, but I experienced it vicariously. And expectations vs performance played a big part.
My son was on a university varsity team that was very young and not expected to be near a championship. They lost to the Ultimate national champions in the semifinal, then beat an excellent team to win bronze. He said that victory was the sweetest moment of his sports career.

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
I booked a 10 day vacation in the states during the Olympics. NBC's coverage was brutal and their app required a a cable login to watch. I had to request USA basketball games in 2 different sports bars. Olympic coverage is amazing in Canada by comparison.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I booked a 10 day vacation in the states during the Olympics. NBC's coverage was brutal and their app required a a cable login to watch. I had to request USA basketball games in 2 different sports bars. Olympic coverage is amazing in Canada by comparison.

For me the most disappointing thing about these olympics was the coverage of some of the events. I'm not sure who the commentators were for a lot of those events but they had no clue who the Canadians were & made no mention of them. All the long distance men's events at least were commented like that - on & on about how great the American team were doing on a Canadian network. Disgusting really.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria

So in one scenario you have elation followed by sorrow (silver)
or
sorrow followed by elation (bronze)

basically I just think if you go to the gold medal game you better damn well win it.

That's spectator's logic. Most athletes have emotion tied to years of training and performances ... not just the one event you watched them in ... and would see the higher placing as a greater accomplishment. Silver > Bronze

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
That's spectator's logic. Most athletes have emotion tied to years of training and performances ... not just the one event you watched them in ... and would see the higher placing as a greater accomplishment. Silver > Bronze

As times goes by (and I'm only referring to a team sport, not individual sports) I'm sure they look back and appreciate the higher placing but not in the immediate aftermath of losing the gold medal game when they have to settle for silver whereas the bronze medal winning team is celebrating a final victory. I would think as the tournament wraps up and the medals are handed out on the final day of the tournament bronze feels better than silver at that time. Anyway believe it or not I am not an elite Athlete (seriously I'm not) so yeah probably just spectator logic but I would hunch this is how they feel right after the games are played.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad