puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Real good day for Canada.

1g
1S
2B

Congrats to all the meddle winners.

What a day! If the pole vaulter wouldn't have faultered we would have medals each day.
Great Olympiad! Can't wait for the relay, that will be epic, would be great if degrasse bolt got batons near same time.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
So it appears that one of the swimmers admitted than someone committed an act of vandalism. That's the missing piece I was looking for.

****'em.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I told you he made it up. One day, you guys will figure out that I am right about all this ****.

You do have a nose for it. I think you lean on your dad for inside info though :naughty:

:sarcasm:

Last edited:

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
You do have a nose for it. I think you lean on your dad for inside info though :naughty:

:sarcasm:

I use him to confirm my suspicions. Most of the sleuthing I do on my own, when I have reached a conclusion...we talk about it. Sometimes he points out something I missed, but our minds generally work the same way so its not often that I do.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/two-u-...ter-robbery-scandal-third-pays-fine-1.3035191

Two American Olympic swimmers were on their way home Friday after being pulled off a plane a day earlier to testify about an alleged robbery at the Rio Olympics that Brazilian police said was made up. The lawyer for a third U.S. swimmer said he would make a $10,800 payment and leave Brazil later in the day.

"We apologize to our hosts in Rio and the people of Brazil for this distracting ordeal in the midst of what should rightly be a celebration of excellence," the U.S. Olympic Committee said.

That's an expensive door they busted. As it turns out, under Brazilian law, a donation can be made to avoid criminal prosecution for minor offenses.

This is what happens when you hang out with a guy who once had a TV show called.. “What Would Ryan Do?”.

Well, if I was the guy who went from paying a $50 fine to the security guard and disappearing into the night and everyone forgetting about the incident.....to paying a $10,800 fine because you fled the country and opened your big mouth trying to make out like some hero in some event that never happened... I would find you and kick $10,800 out of your punk ass.

So, what is the Olympic record time for leaving the country and throwing your buddies under the bus?

Last edited:

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/two-u-...ter-robbery-scandal-third-pays-fine-1.3035191

Two American Olympic swimmers were on their way home Friday after being pulled off a plane a day earlier to testify about an alleged robbery at the Rio Olympics that Brazilian police said was made up. The lawyer for a third U.S. swimmer said he would make a $10,800 payment and leave Brazil later in the day.

"We apologize to our hosts in Rio and the people of Brazil for this distracting ordeal in the midst of what should rightly be a celebration of excellence," the U.S. Olympic Committee said.

Hope his accomplices split the 10k charge

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Hmm, if this incident had occurred in the United States, and four large South American males exhibited drunken, destructive and allegedly aggressive behaviour at a gas station at 5am, would security guards be justified in drawing their weapons?

What would the public sentiment be? Probably that that the guards were justified in attempting to detain them. Heck in the States they probably could have shot them, if they felt the situation was potentially explosive, and then claimed self-defense.

This was not a robbery. If so, these are among the worst robbers in the world. How not to become a successful robber:

- Get a job as a manager and/or security guard at a franchised gas station in a busy part of town
- Make sure this gas station has closed circuit television surveillance and is well-lit
- Perform your robberies during the high-profile Olympic games, while Rio is under careful scrutiny and crackdown
- Lure the targets in with the promise of a bathroom. Keep it locked though.
- Choose 4 large, fit men as your targets. Wouldn't surprise me if the swimmers were the biggest men at the station at the time
- In addition to the CCTV recording things, make sure there are cabbies and other witnesses around to help you out. Use a passerby as a translator. Sure you might have to split the gains from this, but oh well.
- Don't take real valuable things, like phones and watches
- Also, call the cops (they arrived late in this case)
- After all is done, you get to split the massive $50 haul between the manager, one or more cabbies, the translator guy, and the cops.
- Get the door, mirror, and soap dispenser fixed, rinse and repeat towards riches.

Worst robbers ever, lol!

Let's face it...getting drunk to the point where you are pissing in public, vandalizing a bathroom, and being made to pay for it, is an embarrassing story to tell your mom. The only 'cool' part of the story is that someone pulled a gun.

People often lie because it's much simpler and easier than telling an uncomfortable truth. Everyone has told a story from their past in a way that made them look 'better', even believing it a little themselves. That fight I won. The fish I caught. That time I was wronged. Shortened, lacking detail, twisted and exaggerated.

The problem here is that Lochte (who is 32 years old) told his mom a fish tale, instead of a complicated, somewhat embarrassing truth. He used the most notable part of it (the 'wow they got guns bro!' part) as the basis for a quick story that fit the hot, convenient, and believable 'Rio is dangerous' narrative. Mic drop and done, right? Maybe add that story into an autobiography someday bro. :) Needs to be even scarier though.

But then his mom repeated it to the news. Once this happened Lochte couldn't back down from it, perhaps even convincing himself it was 'mostly true'. Cue international scandal. Oh Ryan. :laugh:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Half a55ed apology too from lochte. You know it's traumatizing being out late at night in a foreign country and have someone pull out a gun. Here is a novel idea, don't Vandalize in foreign countries. He couldn't just apologize, still plays victim, doesn't once mention vandalism.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I turned it off with 5k left, he was in fourth, how did he get third? Two guys get bronze?

He hung in & eventually made a run at third. Passed Japanese walker who passed him back and shoved him on way by. Canadian totally lost stride, threw his hands up in disgust, and immediately dropped way off. Crashed and hauled off by wheelchair at finish line. Protested & Japanese walker disqualified

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Hmm, if this incident had occurred in the United States, and four large South American males exhibited drunken, destructive and allegedly aggressive behaviour at a gas station at 5am, would security guards be justified in drawing their weapons?

What would the public sentiment be? Probably that that the guards were justified in attempting to detain them. Heck in the States they probably could have shot them, if they felt the situation was potentially explosive, and then claimed self-defense.

This was not a robbery. If so, these are among the worst robbers in the world. How not to become a successful robber:

- Get a job as a manager and/or security guard at a franchised gas station in a busy part of town
- Make sure this gas station has closed circuit television surveillance and is well-lit
- Perform your robberies during the high-profile Olympic games, while Rio is under careful scrutiny and crackdown
- Lure the targets in with the promise of a bathroom. Keep it locked though.
- Choose 4 large, fit men as your targets. Wouldn't surprise me if the swimmers were the biggest men at the station at the time
- In addition to the CCTV recording things, make sure there are cabbies and other witnesses around to help you out. Use a passerby as a translator. Sure you might have to split the gains from this, but oh well.
- Don't take real valuable things, like phones and watches
- Also, call the cops (they arrived late in this case)
- After all is done, you get to split the massive $50 haul between the manager, one or more cabbies, the translator guy, and the cops.
- Get the door, mirror, and soap dispenser fixed, rinse and repeat towards riches.

Worst robbers ever, lol!

Let's face it...getting drunk to the point where you are pissing in public, vandalizing a bathroom, and being made to pay for it, is an embarrassing story to tell your mom. The only 'cool' part of the story is that someone pulled a gun.

People often lie because it's much simpler and easier than telling an uncomfortable truth. Everyone has told a story from their past in a way that made them look 'better', even believing it a little themselves. That fight I won. The fish I caught. That time I was wronged. Shortened, lacking detail, twisted and exaggerated.

The problem here is that Lochte (who is 32 years old) told his mom a fish tale, instead of a complicated, somewhat embarrassing truth. He used the most notable part of it (the 'wow they got guns bro!' part) as the basis for a quick story that fit the hot, convenient, and believable 'Rio is dangerous' narrative. Mic drop and done, right? Maybe add that story into an autobiography someday bro. :) Needs to be even scarier though.

But then his mom repeated it to the news. Once this happened Lochte couldn't back down from it, perhaps even convincing himself it was 'mostly true'. Cue international scandal. Oh Ryan. :laugh:

No. Not unless all other avenues have been exhausted and they were exhibiting behaviour that indicated they were going to cause physical harm to the security guards or other patrons of the service station.

This pull first ask questions later type of attitude has violent riots going on in the US right now, so I don't think you are right that public sentiment would be behind security guards.

No one is defending Lochte and the guys behaviour. They were being idiots. Particularly in a foreign country.

But getting a gun pulled on you for a minor vandalism is excessive. I'd probably think it's robbery as well. It's not asking for repayment for the damage, it's extortion. Keep the swimmers in the store until police arrive. Talk to the swimmers. There is 1000x other ways to handle that rather than pulling a gun on them and demanding money. Then to seize people's passports and demand 11K in damage for a minor vandalism. Come on. Let's not paint the Brazilians as completely innocent here.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Wow, intense finish! Great bronze for soccer ladies. They went to equastrian jump off to soon tho, show the celly especially with equestrian already on tsn, seriously

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad