OT: 2016 Rio Summer Olympics

DownunderJet

May 31, 2016
Mackay, Queensland
I've never agreed with the medal count based upon gold medals earned. It's silly to think a country could have two gold medals and nothing more, being held in higher regard than a country with, say 1 gold medal, 6 silver medals and 9 bronze medals.

If you take into account the entire medal count for each country, at this very moment, Canada would be ranked 11th overall, which isn't all that bad really.

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
^ I think Team Canada's goal was to be in the top 12. Hopefully they can keep it up.

Great race by Degrasse. I think we are just seeing the start of something great for this kid!

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Brazil is a mess. You know, at one time people argued that Brazil and Argentina would turn out wealthier than the USA.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
Awesome run by DeGrasse. Beautiful second half. Here's hoping it's bumped up to a silver when all of Gatlin's medals are stripped.

Gutsy if unsuccessful semi-final from Winnipegger Sifuentes before that, too. They had talked about how slow the earlier heat was, so I was hoping seventh would do it. Nice fight to get there, even if it was fruitless.

Medals for Canada in nine straight days. Beats the previous record of eight. Started on day one, too.

Black has always been our sporting colour. We haven't competed in the colours of our flag in god knows how long, if ever. Seeing a Canadian compete in a kit that isn't predominantly red and white is far less common.

We actually had a flag referendum a few months ago and some of the most popular designs were black but the NZ Rugby Union put its foot down on the simple silver fern design. We voted to keep out old design too which is good because without getting too political, the whole process was the most undemocratic farce and the new option was very much a beach towel design.

Anywho.

Hopefully we get some more medals on the water today. It's been a pretty underwhelming games so far.

Well, I had always assumed that it started as just the rugby team and the rest of Kiwi sports had just followed the All Blacks. Similarly, I feel that all Canadians would wear light blue if cycling was the most popular sport here.

I know about the unpopular flag referendum but I figured the only reason it wasn't a white (silver) fern on a black field had to do with the white-on-black flag of the brutal, nationless regime that popped up recently. It's weird that the rugby union shot it down. As much as hockey's a powerful sport in Canada I think if Hockey Canada tried to tell the federal government what they could and couldn't put on the flag they would be told to politely go **** themselves.

Poor Abel, two fourth place finishes in these games.

Yeah, a real heartbreaker.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I know about the unpopular flag referendum but I figured the only reason it wasn't a white (silver) fern on a black field had to do with the white-on-black flag of the brutal, nationless regime that popped up recently. It's weird that the rugby union shot it down. As much as hockey's a powerful sport in Canada I think if Hockey Canada tried to tell the federal government what they could and couldn't put on the flag they would be told to politely go **** themselves.

Which is precisely why copyright and trademark law exist...
The All Blacks have a silver fern on a black background trademarked (I assume), for the very purpose of being able to determine who can use that image. If they did allow it to appear on the flag their trademark would lose is "distinctiveness" (that image would be literally everywhere) which could mean they lose their valuable TM protection.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Which is precisely why copyright and trademark law exist...
The All Blacks have a silver fern on a black background trademarked (I assume), for the very purpose of being able to determine who can use that image. If they did allow it to appear on the flag their trademark would lose is "distinctiveness" (that image would be literally everywhere) which could mean they lose their valuable TM protection.

Yep. And brand All Blacks will do everything they can to protect the megabux. Their brand and revenue singlehandedly props up the rest of the sport here. The jersey is sacred, it's amazing how long they got to keep sponsorship off it. Hell, there was an article in the paper whinging about including the men's sevens team under the All Blacks moniker after their abysmal performance in Rio. We did have three silver fern options to choose from in the referendum but none of them their plain fern on black.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Now that was a win by the volleyball team! If Brazil wins tonight we get second in pool and face Russia! Anything can happen, Brazil loses and they're out and they're world number one. Vb team reminds me of women's soccer last olympics, one more win and play for medal

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Now that was a win by the volleyball team! If Brazil wins tonight we get second in pool and face Russia! Anything can happen, Brazil loses and they're out and they're world number one. Vb team reminds me of women's soccer last olympics, one more win and play for medal

Italy had already qualified in first in the pool. Probably rested their starters.

Canada is going to be in real tough in the quarters.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
So in the Hammer throw today a Polish woman threw 82.29. So far in the 2016 the longest a man has thrown 81.87. The men's olympic record is 84.80, world record 86.74. That's stunning. The silver medalist threw 76.75. That 82.29 would have won gold in the 2012 Olympics...among the men.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Italy had already qualified in first in the pool. Probably rested their starters.

Canada is going to be in real tough in the quarters.

Their big guns were in there, but they played their bench too. Well take that break, beating USA earlier gave them a chance. No reason why they can't beat Russia. Poland would be much tougher if they got third. Second in pool after coach said they were just happy to be there is great for the program, watching Gavin Schmitt is the best.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Their big guns were in there, but they played their bench too. Well take that break, beating USA earlier gave them a chance. No reason why they can't beat Russia. Poland would be much tougher if they got third. Second in pool after coach said they were just happy to be there is great for the program, watching Gavin Schmitt is the best.

Canada will be 4th in the pool.

Last edited:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I thought the first tie-breaker was head-to-head, no?

No. Even if it was it's going to be a 3way tie. France and Brazil are both 2-2 and play later. I am wrong though.

US, Canada, France/Brazil will be 3-2.

Tiebreaks
Number of matches won
Match points
Set ratio
Setpoint ratio
Results between tied teams (head-to-head record)

Canada does have best set ratio it looks like. They are ahead of US 100%. They will be 3rd if France 3-0's Brazil. They will be 2nd in any other case. I think.

So yeah 2nd is pretty good.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I thought during the broadcast they mentioned Canada was looking at second, couldn't recall how they got there.

Too bad to see Barber perform below his ability.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
They're second now. If Brazil wins they stay there, France wins they get third. That's if France wins in less than five sets, less PTS for five setter. I'd take fourth and play Argentina but we won't get fourth, Poland is who u wanna avoid.

France needs a 3-0 to pass Canada. A 3-1 puts them at set ratio of 10-7, worse than Canada's 11-7. So as long as Brazil wins one set Canada finishes second and plays world #3 Russia.

I was wrong. I thought the first tiebreak would be points ratio, which would rank Canada last among the 3-2 teams. It is in fact set ratio which ranks them likely 2nd.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
So Canada just locked up second?

I think so.

In the end it looks like it doesn't matter. According to wikipedia teams in 2nd and 3rd in both pools are entered into a draw for the quarters. So Poland, Russia, Canada and France/US/Brazil will be entered into a draw for the spots.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Sure, or maybe he was one of the athletes contributing to the Tinder spike at the Olympic village and spent too much time "pole vaulting" the previous night and just didn't have the energy for it.

:laugh::help: That's TERRIBLE.

NZ with only a couple of medal hope left. Hope our women's hockey team can pull through their semi and make some noise in the final.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad