OT: 2016 Rio Summer Olympics

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
In Canada maybe. As a security guard in dangerous Rio? I can't say I could tell them they overreacted.

I agree, while it seems like a complete overreaction to us, it probably is much more common place down there. Didn't a police officer just get shot in his vehicle for going through the wrong area of the city in Rio?

We are very fortunate to live where we do, in many other areas of the world things are handled quite differently. When traveling abroad its best to keep your wits about you so that you can avoid situations like what happened to the American swimmers.

Not to say I neccessarily agree with charging $10k to pay for the damages, but its a different country with a different set of rules and as a non citizen you are likely not afforded anywhere near the same luxury's. I would think that a number of those swimmers learned a very hard but valuable lesson.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I agree, while it seems like a complete overreaction to us, it probably is much more common place down there. Didn't a police officer just get shot in his vehicle for going through the wrong area of the city in Rio?

We are very fortunate to live where we do, in many other areas of the world things are handled quite differently. When traveling abroad its best to keep your wits about you so that you can avoid situations like what happened to the American swimmers.

Not to say I neccessarily agree with charging $10k to pay for the damages, but its a different country with a different set of rules and as a non citizen you are likely not afforded anywhere near the same luxury's. I would think that a number of those swimmers learned a very hard but valuable lesson.

Maybe. Not right but it can be. BUT coming from US or Canada and knowing that's it's dangerous down there wouldn't someone pulling a gun and demanding money seem like robbery then by that same token? No one is arguing the swimmers were dumb and put themselves in a bad spot. But too much is being made of this and there's too much politics to attack the swimmers or security too much.

What's not being talked about the overreaction of the Brazilians. Confiscating PASSPORTS for a minor vandalism case? That's a horrendous overreaction by the government. All sides from the swimmers to security to the Brazilian government have made mistakes in this.

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
Maybe. Not right but it can be. BUT coming from US or Canada and knowing that's it's dangerous down there wouldn't someone pulling a gun and demanding money seem like robbery then by that same token? No one is arguing the swimmers were dumb and put themselves in a bad spot.

What's not being talked about the overreaction of the Brazilians. Confiscating PASSPORTS for a minor vandalism case? That's a horrendous overreaction by the government.

I agree 100%

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Maybe. Not right but it can be. BUT coming from US or Canada and knowing that's it's dangerous down there wouldn't someone pulling a gun and demanding money seem like robbery then by that same token?

If we are looking at it from the American perspective than yes I can understand how they might interpret it as such depending on how much was demanded from them, although at the same time paying for damages shouldn't be a foreign concept to them given how litigation happy the US is.

How much of what we perceived as overreaction have occurred if Lochte hadn't gone on national TV with his story. I imagine no athletes would have had their passports seized and his teammates wouldn't have had to pay the fine had he exercised better judgement when going forward with his story.

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
If we are looking at it from the American perspective than yes I can understand how they might interpret it as such depending on how much was demanded from them, although at the same time paying for damages shouldn't be a foreign concept to them given how litigation happy the US is.

They were drinking and doing stupid things! So foreign concept in that state, yes!

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
If you guys get another gold you'll pass us on the weighted table. Pls don't.

Your young pole vaulter did well tonight.
This is the best we've done since I can remember, one more medal ties Atlanta games, four golds is lots too.

Last edited:

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Your young pole vaulter did well tonight.

Yeah that was a nice surprise! Same for the bloke in the shot put. Biggest surprise medal so far was a silver in shooting. Hoping Lydia Ko wins in the golf next.

London was our best to date, and now we're beating it by 3. We got 8 golds in LA though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00