2016 NHL Draft - Part 3 - June 24th

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Recently listened to the final Sportsnet CHL podcast of the season (which I think was recorded around the combine) and Jeff Marek had a conversation with Windsor GM Warren Rychel along the lines of whether Rychel was worried about 2 of the 3 projected first rounders (Brown, Sergachev, Stanley) not being returned to the CHL next year, as if both had heard murmurings along those lines. I imagine there's similar talk every year, but still found it interesting given the reported heavy interest in Brown & Marek putting Sergachev at 5 in his mock.

Brown and Sergachev are nowhere close to NHL ready imo

cactus shake

Oct 22, 2013
Brown and Sergachev are nowhere close to NHL ready imo
Yeah it's hard to imagine anyone thinking otherwise. Wouldn't put anything past the Oilers though! (new management, I know). Before the Goligoski rights trade I was slightly worried we'd try to rush a Dman if we struck out with UFAs.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The Coyotes scouts have a great deal more credibility than in years past. If they want to stay put and pick, let them pick. DT may believe next year is a compete year but I don't see it that way. I wouldn't fritter away good picks on players that will only impact the organization a year or two.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Arizona is also exploring the option of trading down. Chayka said he received a “pretty impressive offer†last Wednesday. Conversations continue and since Chayka believes the talent in the first round starts to taper off at the Coyotes’ 20th pick, a team outside the top 20 could feel urgency to make a move.

“We’ve gone through scenarios,†he said. “We’ve talked to teams that we think have interest. It’s something that comes down to the (draft) table.â€

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...nsidering-trading-up-down-nhl-draft/86125516/

not sure if posted

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Mackenzie has Bean rated 12 and Dineen rated 72. I wonder what separates them so much because on paper they are similar. Bean's 1.75 inches taller and scored 5 more points over the season. I guess skating is a big reason for the difference but I'm really not sure.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
CAR:
7th
53rd

ARI:
13th
21st
--

DET:
20th
68th
Vitale

ARI:
16th
46th
Datsyuk
--

ANA:
37th
46th

ARI:
24th
--

13 - McAvoy
16 - Fabbro
21 - Clague
24 - Hajek

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
CAR:
7th
53rd

ARI:
13th
21st
--

DET:
20th
68th
Vitale

ARI:
16th
46th
Datsyuk
--

ANA:
37th
46th

ARI:
24th
--

13 - McAvoy
16 - Fabbro
21 - Clague
24 - Hajek

Just a tad D heavy, huh?

Honestly, if we were able to trade #7 and #53 for #13 and #21, that is all the trading that needs to get done. I think we may see something like this:

#13: BPA D (McAvoy, Fabbro, or Bean)
#20: BPA F (Gauthier, Kunin)
#21: BPA overall (Jones, Katchouk, Laberge, Clague, Johansen)
#37: BPA D

We guarantee at least 1 F, likely a C. Minimum of 2 D in first four picks, and frankly, we get real good value on both defensemen. Peeke at #68 in the 3rd round.

#13: Bean
#20: Kunin
#21: Katchouk
#37: Hajek
#68: Peeke <-- I want to keep #53 specifically for this player. He is my big-time sleeper in the 50-75 range of players.

Could easily live with that.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I'd love to get max jones later in the first, we need more physical forwards.

That is one player that I am very wishy-washy on, but we do need some physicality. Would Gauthier fit with us at #20, even though I am not certain that he is physical enough and I think he goes before #20? Right hand shots are a need going forward...

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
That is one player that I am very wishy-washy on, but we do need some physicality. Would Gauthier fit with us at #20, even though I am not certain that he is physical enough and I think he goes before #20? Right hand shots are a need going forward...

That would be nice too.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Jones and Gauthier would both be stellar picks at 20. I like Jones a lot better, but both can create a lot of space for their linemates.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
I hate to post these kind of posts because I am in no way trying to act like I have an inside source to the Coyotes, nor am I trying to gain any kind of attention from these posts, but the friend of mine who works for the Coyotes who told me about the Roadrunners, told me about the seriousness of the OEL injury, and other minor things (so far, everything he has told me has come true) just gave me more info today.

He told me that he has heard that the Coyotes are nowhere near sold on, or in love with, the seventh overall pick. His words were something along the lines of "bet on them trading it over keeping it. 60/40 odds."

I asked him if he was talking about trading down for more pics, or trading for immediate help, and he told me he hasn't heard much about that. What he has heard, is that the Coyotes were offered a "fairly decent" NHL defenseman for number 7, but not "decent" enough to sway them into trading the pick. He speculates that the Dman offered was "too old."

The last thing he could share is that he has heard rumblings that; 1) that the Coyotes pretty much view all the top defensemen available like fish in a barrel. They all offer different things that makes them special, and you can't really put one over another, so you're safe grabbing at least one of your guys, and there is no worry trying to trade for one specifically; 2) That the Coyotes really don't seem to eager to move up in the draft; 3) That the Coyotes (he speculates "especially Chayka, an OHL scout, and Tippett") really like the game of Max Jones, among others. Said that they would like to see another Shane Doan style player in our system.

But they also like his speed, shot, and playmaking ability, and they love that he is from London. They really trust that organization, supposedly.

I haven't really watched any highlights on Max Jones, so I'm about to now. What intrigues me is that maybe that hints that we teade down from 7 to gain more picks. To ensure we get a defensemen on our list, and have a better chance to grab a couple guys we really like as well.

Food for thought. You don't have to believe ANY of this, as far as you guys know I'm making this whole thing up, but my buddy is a huge fan so he's always asking questions and doing his own digging and listening, and so far, he's been pretty spot on.

It's going to be a very interesting week guys. I'm so excited.

EDIT: Really didn't have much info on Goligoski, said management has really been the only ones involved so it's hard to get info. BUT, he did say that he heard Gogo was either already on his summer vacation, or was about to go on it, and he didn't HAVE to fly to Arizona, but that he wanted to meet the brass face to face and have a good look around. I take that as a good sign. Especially if he was already on vacation.

Last edited:

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Great info Rabbit. Your source has been legit so this is all worth keeping in the back of our minds.

I'd love to get Jones and a Fabbro/McAvoy

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I hate to post these kind of posts because I am in no way trying to act like I have an inside source to the Coyotes, nor am I trying to gain any kind of attention from these posts, but the friend of mine who works for the Coyotes who told me about the Roadrunners, told me about the seriousness of the OEL injury, and other minor things (so far, everything he has told me has come true) just gave me more info today.

He told me that he has heard that the Coyotes are nowhere near sold on, or in love with, the seventh overall pick. His words were something along the lines of "bet on them trading it over keeping it. 60/40 odds."

I asked him if he was talking about trading down for more pics, or trading for immediate help, and he told me he hasn't heard much about that. What he has heard, is that the Coyotes were offered a "fairly decent" NHL defenseman for number 7, but not "decent" enough to sway them into trading the pick. He speculates that the Dman offered was "too old."

The last thing he could share is that he has heard rumblings that; 1) that the coyotes pretty much view all the top defensemen available like fish in a barrel. They all offer different things that makes them special, and you can't really put one over another, so you're safe grabbing at least one of your guys, and they is no worry trying to trade for one specifically; 2) That the Coyotes really don't seem to eager to mobe up in the draft; 3) That the Coyotes (he speculates "especially Chayka, an OHL scout, and Tippett") really like the game of Max Jones, among others. Said that they would like to see another Shane Doan style player in our system.

But they also like his speed, shot, and playmaking ability, and they love that he is from London. They really trust that organization, supposedly.

I haven't really watched any highlights on Max Jones, so I'm about to now. What intrigues me is that maybe that hints that we teade down from 7 to gain more picks. To ensure we get a defensemen on our list, and have a better chance to grab a couple guys we really like as well.

Food for thought. You don't have to believe ANY of this, as far as you guys know I'm making this whole thing up, but my buddy is a huge fan so he's always asking questions and doing his own digging and listening, and so far, he's been pretty spot on.

It's going to be a very interesting week guys. I'm so excited.

EDIT: Really didn't have much info on Goligoski, said management has really been the only ones involved so it's hard to get info. BUT, he did say that he heard Gogo was either already on his summer vacation, or was about to go on it, and he didn't HAVE to fly to Arizona, but that he wanted to meet the brass face to face and have a good look around. I take that as a good sign. Especially if he was already on vacation.

I nominate you for Coyotes poster hall of fame. I can't thank you enough for your insight.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Trading down from the first pick about 5-7 slots, picking up Jones there and then a defenseman at 20, sounds like a dream scenario. Jones is the real deal. Like most power forwards, it'll be a while before he becomes a real force offensively, but he has top line potential for sure, and he'll be a devastating forechecker in the meantime.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Sweet if we can scoop up Jones with number 20 or by trading back from 7 that would be awesome. I still really want brown but if our scouts aren't sold then pass.

RABBIT

Great info Rabbit. Your source has been legit so this is all worth keeping in the back of our minds.

I'd love to get Jones and a Fabbro/McAvoy

I nominate you for Coyotes poster hall of fame. I can't thank you enough for your insight.

Thanks guys i appreciate it. This is the most bold he has been so i hope he's right.

I would love to trade down and turn two 1st round picks into 3 or 4, and still come out of the first round with names like Jones, Fabbro, and/or McAvoy. I would be thrilled. Especially if they aren't sold on the big names at the forefront of the defensemen in this draft like Juolevi, Sergachev, and Chychrun. If they see Fabbro and McAvoy in the same class as them, i trust it. It's no secret the Coyotes want a defensemen in this draft, so might as well trade down to get one of your guys and grab another pick to get a guy like Jones and another Dman you like.

Hard to argue that when even the expert analysts can't choose between Juolevi, Sergachev, and Chychrun. Something isn't right about that.

If Chayka pulls something like that off in his first draft ever, I will be one of his newest, big fans, and will feel a lot more comfortable with the future of this franchise.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Great info, Rabbit. Interesting that we're high on London but not Juolevi.

I'd be quite happy to trade down and grab Jones and McAvoy.

RABBIT

Great info, Rabbit. Interesting that we're high on London but not Juolevi.

I'd be quite happy to trade down and grab Jones and McAvoy.

That's what I thought too. I didn't really get a chance to bring that up because he just kept going on and on, but i would imagine if we do end up keeping the seventh pick, that's who we would probably take. That's just my speculation. I woud prefer to take Brown, but who knows if he'll even still be there at 7, and again it's no secret that we are targeting a defenseman. I guess it's all about who management and scouting sees as BPA in that scenario.

I just hope the above scenario that we have been talking about is the route we take. I would be one happy fan. Especially if we ice the cake and sign Gogo as well.

Think about coming out of the draft weekend with Jones, as well as one of McAvoy or Fabbro (maybe both depending on the trades we make) and a signed Goligoski.

Then heading into free agency with money to spend, the possible Datsyuk contract to the Coyotes scenario could get us a guy like Pulks (or maybe draft picks in a deal like the ones mentioned above.)

Could be a very exciting offseason. I don't want to speak too soon, but what I have seen out of Chayka so far has been pretty promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad