2016 NHL Draft - Part 3 - June 24th

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't care really. If he's good enough to take at 67 and you like him, might as well have him at 53. If not, whatevs. I want to start moving very distant futures and quantity for nearer term quality anyway.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibur
I just figured we'd do something like trade back in the 3rd to pick up a 4th. Devils, Ducks and Hawks have multiple 4th round picks.
67 for 76 + 104
67 for 84 +114
67 for 82 + 112

Ok...well let me ask you this. How about a trade straight with Philly?

67 for 81 +108...then you send the 108 right back to us.

It fits exactly what you would be doing anyways, it just becomes a straight deal between our teams. It's not like you were keeping the later pick anyways.

Thoughts?

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
He's 20, not 18, and when he was 18, quite a few teams thought highly enough of him to have him rated late in the 1st round. A 20-year-old first rounder is almost certainly closer to being ready for the NHL than an 18-year-old 2nd rounder.

So there's that.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
He's 20, not 18, and when he was 18, quite a few teams thought highly enough of him to have him rated late in the 1st round. A 20-year-old first rounder is almost certainly closer to being ready for the NHL than an 18-year-old 2nd rounder.

So there's that.

And even if he didn't make it to the NHL, he would probably be a good addition to Tucson (with occasional call-ups)

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If we sign Bleakley, where does he fit next year? Third line center in Tuscon behind Dauphin and MacInnis? Potentially fourth line if Dvorak is in the AHL?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Ok. I've fought the fight forBrown as BPA.

Let's talk about the D.

If we are set on taking a D at 7, what's the best option for this team?

Do we believe Juloevi is Maata part two? Or is he byproduct of a dominant forward group in a powerhouse London squad? I always go back to our drafting of Knyzev in 1999 as he was named top D at WJC as well. Never played a game in NHL.

I absolutely do not want Chychrun at 7. I'm on record about hockey sense issues and concerns about durability given his shoulder surgery last summer. Jovo part 2 for me. Bad Jovo as well.

Fabbro I love and I get you need to overpay or possibly reach to get a top 4 RD but 7!!! I'm expecting impact player at 7. Not 4D. Rt and I argued about Murphy for a decade and I suspect it would be hard to justify 7 just because a guy is right handed.

Sergachev has the body and the offense. Plays RD but is left shooting. Passport will be an issue at some point. Flight risk or premium paid to keep in North America. Can he play the defensive game that keeps him out of Tippetts doghouse. Could be the best package though. Theirs a BPA argument here even at 7.

McAvoy. Wish I saw more of him. But he's in the mix. And some have him as the 1D in the draft. Rd as well. Great development program as well.

Jake Bean. He's Yandlesque in play. Great offensive instincts. He's a legitimate candidate to duplicate Yandles career progression.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Let's talk about the D.

Do we believe Juloevi is Maata part two? Or is he byproduct of a dominant forward group in a powerhouse London squad? I always go back to our drafting of Knyzev in 1999 as he was named top D at WJC as well. Never played a game in NHL.

I absolutely do not want Chychrun at 7. I'm on record about hockey sense issues and concerns about durability given his shoulder surgery last summer. Jovo part 2 for me. Bad Jovo as well.

Fabbro I love and I get you need to overpay or possibly reach to get a top 4 RD but 7!!! I'm expecting impact player at 7. Not 4D. Rt and I argued about Murphy for a decade and I suspect it would be hard to justify 7 just because a guy is right handed.

Sergachev has the body and the offense. Plays RD but is left shooting. Passport will be an issue at some point. Flight risk or premium paid to keep in North America. Can he play the defensive game that keeps him out of Tippetts doghouse. Could be the best package though. Theirs a BPA argument here even at 7.

McAvoy. Wish I saw more of him. But he's in the mix. And some have him as the 1D in the draft. Rd as well. Great development program as well.

Jake Bean. He's Yandlesque in play. Great offensive instincts. He's a legitimate candidate to duplicate Yandles career progression.

I really like Bean and I don't know why he isn't getting more attention. I would love to move up from #20 to get him. I'm not sure if any D is worthy of #7 at this moment.

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Trade 20 + 53 for 15. Minnesota replaces their 2nd round pick and we should be in range to take one of Fabbro or McAvoy. Coming away with Brown and Fabbro on day one would be sweet.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Let's talk about the D.

Great questions and information on the D in this draft.

My honest hope is that there is so little separation on our draft board between the top ranked defenseman and Bean, McAvoy, or Fabbro that it makes sense to trade back. My fear is that we would not be able to get an impact D in general and then to potentially reach on one at 7 makes for a tough decision.

I don't mind getting someone like Chychrun or Sergachev between 10-15, and at that point, McAvoy, Bean or Fabbro might be neck and neck in rankings on the board. Still thinking that it is more prudent to move back from #7 to the 10-16 range than it will be to move up from #20.

Also, if Wood is progressing nicely and Stone and Murphy continue with their play, a right handed D may not be the first thing that is needed. I will be somewhat disappointed if within our first 5 picks, we don't get at least one RH and one LH D, but that will likely be a very small disappointment.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Great questions and information on the D in this draft.

My honest hope is that there is so little separation on our draft board between the top ranked defenseman and Bean, McAvoy, or Fabbro that it makes sense to trade back. My fear is that we would not be able to get an impact D in general and then to potentially reach on one at 7 makes for a tough decision.

I don't mind getting someone like Chychrun or Sergachev between 10-15, and at that point, McAvoy, Bean or Fabbro might be neck and neck in rankings on the board. Still thinking that it is more prudent to move back from #7 to the 10-16 range than it will be to move up from #20.

What are you going to get to make it worthwhile?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
What are you going to get to make it worthwhile?

Probably a 3rd round pick or D/RW prospect. Maybe even a bottom 6 forward to plug in - depends on if we need to add something. Send #7 to New Jersey for #11 and Devante Smith-Pelly? Might need to add something to get that done, like a late round 2017 pick?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I go back and forth between Juolevi and Chychrun at 7. I feel Juolevi has the higher floor but Chychrun has a far higher ceiling. I like both players better than Sergachev. I like all 3 players better than the next group of D.

Best case scenario for me is Tkachuk falls to 7 and we don't have to make the Juolevi/Chychrun decision. Then get McAvoy or Fabbro at 20. Second-best scenario is trading the 7OV outright (and more) for an NHL roster D like Barrie or Trouba. Third-best option is drafting a D at 7.

In short:

1) Hope Tkachuk falls to 7. Address D at 20.
2) Trade 7 for immediate D (Barrie, etc).
3) Draft Chychrun or Juolevi

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
If we sign Bleakley, where does he fit next year? Third line center in Tuscon behind Dauphin and MacInnis? Potentially fourth line if Dvorak is in the AHL?

This is part of why I'd let Bleackley walk. You've also probably got Gaudet down there. Those guys have varying offensive abilities, but they're all plenty responsible in their own zone, and I'd expect them to add a veteran center or two on top of that mix (perhaps MacInnis and Dvorak start on the wing). Bleackley doesn't really bring anything unique to the table.

Let's talk about the D.

I wouldn't touch Bean in the first round. I don't see the elite skating or hockey sense that he'd need to make an impact like Yandle. I think a Michael Del Zotto sort of career is more likely, and given the kinks he'll need to work out of his game, I don't see him even getting there before he's waiver-eligible. He's the player I'm most fearful about the Coyotes reaching for at 7, even more so than McLeod. Even 20 is too early.

I'm repeating myself now, but I see McAvoy turning out to be the best defenseman in this draft. It blows my mind that he's so slept on, given his production this year. Give him another year at BU with this incoming class (Keller, Bellows, et al), then maybe a year in the AHL, and he'll be ready to step into a top four role. He's got top pairing potential long term. Does it all.

Fabbro is my second best defensemen. Not flashy, but extremely heady. All the good things people say about Juolevi seem to apply more to Fabbro.

I've still got Chychrun third on my list of defensemen. I understand the concerns, but I've seen enough good stuff from him to not be worried about his hockey sense. The shoulder is a much bigger red flag to me, but that seems to be in solid shape.

Sergachev is the next guy on my list. I'd have him ahead of Chychrun if he were a little more consistent, but his effort level in the defensive zone came and went. Stupidly high upside though. Subban-esque skill set.

Juolevi is fifth for me. I just don't see the upside. Positionally sound and all that, but just not dynamic enough with the puck on his stick. He seems like a safe bet to be a second pairing guy, but I don't see how he turns into much more than that. I'd like someone with upside higher than Karl Alzner or Kevin Klein.

McAvoy is the only guy I wouldn't be disappointed to take at 7, though there's a few other guys who should be there that I'd rather have (namely Jost and Keller). A few other guys I'd take ahead of Bean (probably not as early as 20, but definitely at 37 if they're still there) include Kale Clague, Sean Day, Libor Hajek, Dennis Cholowski, Cam Dineen and Frederic Allard. I see no reason to reach for a defenseman at 7 or even 20, but if they can grab one in their first three picks, I'll be happy.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I think BPA at 7 is a forward. The main risers are forwards as well. We could very well see a string of Defense drafted in succession around our 2nd pick. I hope we can get Fabbro or MacAvoy with the NYR pick.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I think BPA at 7 is a forward. The main risers are forwards as well. We could very well see a string of Defense drafted in succession around our 2nd pick. I hope we can get Fabbro or MacAvoy with the NYR pick.

Pretty much my mindset right now.

Draft Brown (or other forward)

Draft MacAvoy or Fabbor with the second first rounder we have. I'd be very happy with this.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Then again, if we pick Brown or another forward at 7 and then all of Juolevi, Sergachev, Chychrun, Bean, McAvoy and Fabbro go between 8 and 19, we're looking at taking a forward at 20. Probably a good one, if all of those other guys went, but even if it's Brown and Gauthier or Bellows or Kunin, I think we're still all going to be thinking "damn, that's a lot of forwards in the pool.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Then again, if we pick Brown or another forward at 7 and then all of Juolevi, Sergachev, Chychrun, Bean, McAvoy and Fabbro go between 8 and 19, we're looking at taking a forward at 20. Probably a good one, if all of those other guys went, but even if it's Brown and Gauthier or Bellows or Kunin, I think we're still all going to be thinking "damn, that's a lot of forwards in the pool.

Anyone they take at 7 is at least a year away. Anyone they take at 20 is probably at least two years away. That's plenty of time to sort things out.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

This is my exact reason as to why it will be easier to trade back from #7 instead of up from #20. Seems likely that all 6 of those D prospects wind up going somewhere in the range of #8 and #19.

Plus, there are going to be a few other teams with the same mindset as us in terms of moving up. Let's say we take Brown at #7 and 4 of the next 5 or 6 picks are defensemen. Now there are two left (likely from the 2nd tier, but who knows?) between 14 and 19 and what is that price to move up and do the Coyotes want to commit to that? Carolina and Philly have 2 or 3 3rd round picks to move up from 21 and 18 respectively, if that is desired. We don't have a 4th round pick and even acquiring one may mean sending it to Philly anyhow.

I am totally fine with trading back, then picking up either McAvoy/Fabbro and then getting Kunin or Gauthier at #20. If by dealing back, we can acquire another pick in the top 70 picks or so, we leave a ton of options. Carolina has those 3 3rd rounders:

AZ: #7 OA and #127 OA
CAR: #13 OA, #66 OA, and #74 OA

Use those 2nd and 3rd rounders to re-stock the defense and if any forward slips, we have that opportunity to take him. One of those additional 3rd rounders could be moved back for the 4th that we owe Philadelphia as well.

#13: D McAvoy
#20: C Kunin
#37: C/RW Bastian
#53: D Peeke
#66: D Josh Anderson
#67: LW Kopacka
#74: C Bleackley??? <-- Kind of joking, but kind of not if he easily represents BPA there. Could also trade and acquire that 4th rounder to move to PHL

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I agree. Logically. I still think if it happens we're all going to be feeling a little uneasy.

Not all of us. ;)

Especially if they grab a defenseman in the 2nd round. I expect there'd be at least a few guys available there who would immediately be a top two or three defenseman in the current prospect pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad