2016 NHL Draft - Part 3 - June 24th

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Juolevi, McAvoy, Bitten, Steel is a nice haul comma but ...

Does anyone have video of Juolevi skating hard? Paolo Maldini was a famous Italian soccer defender, and if you look at his highlights, it's never him lunging in and making dramatic tackles -- it's all just him casually intercepting passes because his positioning was perfect.

There's a real nonchalance to Juolevi's game, to a point where I think I only saw him skating hard like twice the entire Memorial Cup. My point: is it possible Joulevi is Brandon Gormley 2.0? Great in juniors but the physical tools might not translate? Or am I completely nuts? Serious question.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I'm starting to really hope we go hard for the 3rd OA. From Marek's article it really sounds like they want/need a center. One of Brown/Keller/Jost will be there at 7. I'd be thrilled to come out of this with a sure bet NHL RW with massive upside and then slide up to 16 via DET to grab a McAvoy/Fabbro/Bean. That would be a hell of a draft and really wrap up a rebuild.

I took a look at Marek's 15 mock. Interesting notes, had Hanafin going 4, Barzal at 9 and Merkely at 15.
"Merkley has one of the rarest skillsets in the draft – a playmaking winger. The Flames love the way Merkley moves on the ice and his pass-first mentality fits in with the young finishers this team has."

What do we add to 7 to get 3, and to 20 to get to 16? It would be amazing to walk away with pulju and one of mcavoy or fabbro I just don't see it happening without it costing way too much. Maybe chayka is a wizard though.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Very bullish on Joulevi for this exact reason. With such a stacked London team I wonder about his true offensive upside. If he is a Oli Matta clone it wouldn't be s bad piece to add at 7. I just really like the idea of a drafting a defenseman at 20 and moving the 7th or trading up to 3 or 4.

My preference on the big name defensemen this draft is
Sergachev (could be a grandslam)
Joulevi (safe, but think floor and ceiling is middle pairing)
Chychrun (too high of a ceilingto rank lower but too risky at 7)
McAvoy
Bean
Fabbro

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
What do we add to 7 to get 3, and to 20 to get to 16? It would be amazing to walk away with pulju and one of mcavoy or fabbro I just don't see it happening without it costing way too much. Maybe chayka is a wizard though.

16 would involve taking Pavel's contract. So like rt said something around 20 for 16 and some additional picks from both sides.

Columbus needs centers, would 7, McInnis and 53 do it?

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
They probably intended to trade 2 firsts for the 4th overall and then draft Juolevi. Because Coyotes.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Rumor running around that Chayka offered both firsts to the Oilers for their #4.

Saw the rumour too but I doubt its validity. This is an offer that happens on the draft floor. As far as we know, whoever we're targeting at 4 could very well be available at 7, so no reason to trade up a week in advance and also burn the 20 OV.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
16 would involve taking Pavel's contract. So like rt said something around 20 for 16 and some additional picks from both sides.

Columbus needs centers, would 7, McInnis and 53 do it?

Taking dats back may be enough, I think we'd have to offer significantly more for the 3rd overall though. Anyone have an example of a team trading into the top 3 from a similar spot? It just seems like we'd have to give up another big piece like next years first or a pretty good prospect.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Saw the rumour too but I doubt its validity. This is an offer that happens on the draft floor. As far as we know, whoever we're targeting at 4 could very well be available at 7, so no reason to trade up a week in advance and also burn the 20 OV.

Interesting rumour. I wonder if the scouts are really high on Dubois? Or, after watching Brown elevate his game all year - on the same team as Fischer - that they really want him and worry he wont be available at 7?

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Interesting rumour. I wonder if the scouts are really high on Dubois? Or, after watching Brown elevate his game all year - on the same team as Fischer - that they really want him and worry he wont be available at 7?
or the first "domino to fall" in hopes of moving to 3OA or even 1OA???

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Damien Cox's final mock draft. He also had us taking Tkachuk and Jones at 7 and 20.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/damien-coxs-2016-nhl-mock-draft/

Hmmm. Okay, I know next to nothing about mock drafts (or most of the prospects), but here are my general thoughts on that list:

I'd say the Coyotes should draft Brown over Juolevi (at #7) and Fabbro over Jones (at #20)

I'm pretty sure the Avs would draft Bean before Stanley

I don't see the Lightning drafting a goalie in the first round with Thompson still on the board, since they'll need a big center in a few years (Boyle will most likely sign elsewhere after next season). Also, most of the Centers in their system are around 5'11-6'1 and they have a decent depth at goalie already (Bishop 29, Vasilevskiy 21, Gudlevskis 23, and Wilcox 23)

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Juolevi, not Tkachuk. He has Tkachuk going to EDM at 4

Typo. London on the mind. :laugh:

I'm still hung up on Juolevi vs. Sergachev. And not really sure if Chychrun is in the same category at this point.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
If we sign Goligoski to a long term deal, I hope we draft Brown.

I don't follow or know any of these players well enough to make a prediction on who we should take. I do think we should draft BPA at 7 and 20. The guy we take at 7 is likely not going to help us or make the club this year or next. In 3 years, it is hard to project what are needs will be, so I would take the player that might not be the best prospect today but will be in 3 years.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Just listened to Bobby Mac on TSN radio, promoting his draft show tonight. He said a few interesting tidbits:

- Matthews is consensus #1

- Big 3 - all scouts have only those three as top three (Matthews and the Finns)

- Next "layer" is "interchangeable" but clearly defined above the rest which is again, the "consensus"- Tkachuk, Dubois, Nylander, and Juolevi

- Juolevi is "best all around D in draft" (that's the consensus)

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Just listened to Bobby Mac on TSN radio, promoting his draft show tonight. He said a few interesting tidbits:

- Matthews is consensus #1

- Big 3 - all scouts have only those three as top three (Matthews and the Finns)

- Next layer is interchangeable but clearly defined above the rest - Tkachuk, Dubois, Nylander, and Juolevi

- Juolevi is best all around D in draft (that's the consensus)
Juolevi's footspeed kinda scares me. From what i've seen he gets beat wide quite a bit

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Juolevi's footspeed kinda scares me. From what i've seen he gets beat wide quite a bit

I've only seen him in 5-6 games or so. He's never struck me as particularly impressive. If he was a mid first or later ranked guy, I could get excited. He doesn't look like a top ten pick to me. Not like Tkachuk, Puljujarvi, Laine and Matthews. Those guys look like the real thing. I've found Nylander even less impressive than Juolevi, honestly.

So if the consensus among scouts is that Juolevi and Nylander are a cut above the likes of Chychrun, Sergachev, Jost, Brown and Keller (each of whom Bob all called out by name as part of a consensus 8-14 third "layer" of players) than I don't think that layer is really very impressive either.

Good year to trade up or trade out.

cactus shake

Oct 22, 2013
Recently listened to the final Sportsnet CHL podcast of the season (which I think was recorded around the combine) and Jeff Marek had a conversation with Windsor GM Warren Rychel along the lines of whether Rychel was worried about 2 of the 3 projected first rounders (Brown, Sergachev, Stanley) not being returned to the CHL next year, as if both had heard murmurings along those lines. I imagine there's similar talk every year, but still found it interesting given the reported heavy interest in Brown & Marek putting Sergachev at 5 in his mock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad