2014 - 2015 Coyotes Roster Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Oilers waive Joensuu. I thought I remembered hearing good things about him in the preseason. Good size and a RW. Anyone know more about him? How would he fit with McMillan and Vitale?

ibroce

Jul 11, 2014
I would actually be upset if Maloney doesn't at least consider claiming him. Though with Moss coming back I don't see it. He's an upgrade over moss chip and klink but then what do we do with those guys? Nothing for another two weeks.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
True. The more I think about it, the math doesn't work to claim Joensuu. I hope at some point that GMDM can jettison the likes of Klink, Moss, and BJC like he did Steve Sullivan and Matt Lombardi. We thought those guys were worthless but Maloney still got some value for them. I'd add Chip to this list but he has another year left so I suspect he'd be more difficult to deal.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
We need to sell Vermette.

He's 32. Why stick around for a re-building team? Or a budget team. He is probably going to want to go to a contender or sign a big deal. He will be a premier FA. He would really have to like it here to sign.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
We've got too many crappy forwards with one way deals as it is. Moss, Crombeen, Klinkhammer and Chipchura.

He's strong on the forecheck. He's pretty much Klinkhammer. We don't need to add bottom six guys at this point, even if he's better than Crombeen.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
We need to sell Vermette.

He's 32. Why stick around for a re-building team? Or a budget team. He is probably going to want to go to a contender or sign a big deal. He will be a premier FA. He would really have to like it here to sign.

If we don't re-sign Vermette, or draft McEichel, or trade Yandle then our centres will be worse next year than they already are. I'd like to just re-sign Vermette.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If we don't re-sign Vermette, or draft McEichel, or trade Yandle then our centres will be worse next year than they already are. I'd like to just re-sign Vermette.

At what price? I think the best Vermette could do as a UFA is 5.5 mil per, with term of 4 or 5 years. Pretty much the same deal we gave Ribeiro.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
At what price? I think the best Vermette could do as a UFA is 5.5 mil per, with term of 4 or 5 years. Pretty much the same deal we gave Ribeiro.

Vermette might be worth more to other teams than ours. If we can get a first rounder or a second and a good prospect I would pull the trigger. He is 32 and well past his prime.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm all for dealing him as well. He's a classic example of selling high on a player to return some assets and not be locked into some future restrictive contract. I like Vermette quite a bit, but he's a 2C and he'll immediately lose value with a decent raise in UFA.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Vermette might be worth more to other teams than ours. If we can get a first rounder or a second and a good prospect I would pull the trigger. He is 32 and well past his prime.

He's not well past his prime. I hate it when people say that about guys in their early 30s that are still contributing. Sure he's struggling like the rest of the team, but I'd imagine he's just hitting the end of his productive years with 2-3 left, not done as of year end last year.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I'm all for dealing him as well. He's a classic example of selling high on a player to return some assets and not be locked into some future restrictive contract. I like Vermette quite a bit, but he's a 2C and he'll immediately lose value with a decent raise in UFA.

We essentially have three 2/3C on the team. We lose Vermtte next season and it means we must bring in a 1C or we will be a bottom feeder again. Maloney didn't perform well this offseason when he tied his hands by buying out Ribiero and not resigning Vrbata. I don't think he makes that mistake twice. You trade Vermette and you begin preparing the day he leaves for what you will do in the offseason to get a top center. This may mean you have to trade Yandle/OEL.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
He's not well past his prime. I hate it when people say that about guys in their early 30s that are still contributing. Sure he's struggling like the rest of the team, but I'd imagine he's just hitting the end of his productive years with 2-3 left, not done as of year end last year.

He isn't going to improve his production either. You will be resigning a 2/3C for 5+ million and 4-5 years probably with a limited move clause. He is an excellent two-way center who will be producing 40-50 points for the next two years. Than could be producing in the 30 point range for the last years on that contract.

We could also try to get a younger center who is about to enter their prime like Eller or Sutter that replaces Vermette.

It's a shame that the Islanders have solved their defensive woes because they are stocked full of players we could use.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
There's always the option of trading Vermette and still signing him again in the summer should he become a free agent. Though I don't see us going that route.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

He's not past his prime, but is hitting the end of his productive years? Like I said, he is past his prime. Time to move to younger players with our rebuild.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
This is when Donnie has to do his mother ****ing job and trade Vermette at a high price and go get us some centers.

Whether we luck out with McDavid or fall far enough to finish 2nd and pick up Eichel, Donnie has to go out and make trades or RFA pick ups to get us some center depth.

We can't sign Vermette for $5m+ because then we won't be able to spend anything to improve our club. He's got to go get someone that maybe is not as good as Vermette, but he's got to go play moneyball and do it in the aggregate.

He messed up with Smith and now it's hamstringing us to the point where we couldn't resign Vrbata, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad