2014 - 2015 Coyotes Roster Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
As far as trading for D goes, I think we're better off shopping for a 5-6 RD. Let Murphy and Stone eat the big minutes with Yandle and OEL. We don't have the assets to trade for a 22 year old 4th overall defenceman. It's been a bumpy road for Larsson in NJ but that doesn't mean they'll give him up for scraps.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
The only way I see us being in a position to sell Vermette is mid-April if we've won the jackpot. Otherwise there is simply no viable replacement for next year. We have to sign him. Do it in April before he tests the market, he might take a slight discount.

Sell Erat and Z. Both are replaceable.

Next year Henrik and Domi come in to replace Erat and Klink/Moss. Bring in McQuaid to replace Z. We can afford to pay Vermette and McQuaid market value.

That lineup will have us back to a playoff bubble team. The next year Perlini can replace Korpikoski and then we'll have finally have a skilled top nine.

Vermette/Hanzal/Gagner is not an ideal trio up the middle but they will do until Strome/Zacha/Marner is ready to carry the torch.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I would certainly say Goc is a viable replacement for Vermette that would cost significantly less. No ones going to give up anything valuable for Vermette's rights in April when the playoffs are underway

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
The only way I see us being in a position to sell Vermette is mid-April if we've won the jackpot. Otherwise there is simply no viable replacement for next year. We have to sign him. Do it in April before he tests the market, he might take a slight discount.

Sell Erat and Z. Both are replaceable.

Next year Henrik and Domi come in to replace Erat and Klink/Moss. Bring in McQuaid to replace Z. We can afford to pay Vermette and McQuaid market value.

That lineup will have us back to a playoff bubble team. The next year Perlini can replace Korpikoski and then we'll have finally have a skilled top nine.

Vermette/Hanzal/Gagner is not an ideal trio up the middle but they will do until Strome/Zacha/Marner is ready to carry the torch.

Arizona has to retain its affiliate past this season, the Portland deal only goes through this season, and there's no guarantee HS or MD end up in Glendale, did it not just take Shinnimin 3 years to get his 1st recall and that just occurred 24-48 hrs ago.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
...just go after McQuaid next off-season!

Depending on the price, I'd be interested. But what's also valuable about a guy like Luke Schenn is we can lose a contract in the process. So instead of 3M for Kopri + 4M for McQ, we can simply have Schenn at 3.5M and an open spot for a Portland guy. Let's say that's then 5M. It leaves 2M for GMDM to plug in elsewhere.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I wouldn't be surprised if MD and HS start in Portland next season but they will definitely both earn spots by January.

As for Goc vs Vermette, Vermette is better. No need to sell players if your best hope to replace them is not as good.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I wouldn't be surprised if MD and HS start in Portland next season but they will definitely both earn spots by January.

As for Goc vs Vermette, Vermette is better. No need to sell players if your best hope to replace them is not as good.

There is an absolute need to sell if Vermette prices himself out of what Maloney had in mind to resign. Letting assets walk for free is bad GMing period

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not the heavy hitting presence but would RD Larson from NJ solidify OEL's game and allow us to move Michalek?

I think Larson would be a good fit here, not sure what the Devils need or want.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I would certainly say Goc is a viable replacement for Vermette that would cost significantly less. No ones going to give up anything valuable for Vermette's rights in April when the playoffs are underway

Other than FO%, Goc would be a big downgrade from Vermette.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Other than FO%, Goc would be a big downgrade from Vermette.

Goc has speed and his defensive game is not too dissimilar from Vermette's. The major downgrade will be offensive production but that being said Goc produces fine enough for a 3C. He should maintain our depth down the middle while Strome/Zacha/Marner develop.

Personally though I think Strome/Zacha would be plug and play into 3C almost immediately.

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

Domi's not even in Portland, HS in in year 1....just like his brother in WBS.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
^ I'm aware. Domi is NHL ready right now. Tip will play send him down anyways next year with the expectation of bringing him back up as soon as possible. I'd rather see him get a shot right out of camp but Tip doesn't play that way.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Edmonton is a tire fire of incompetence. Last I checked Barkov, Monahan, and Lindholm haven't been screwed up despite playing from Day 1.

Barkov is a freak of nature. He already had two seasons against men.
Monahan already had three years of junior. Despite that, his success was a surprise.
Lindholm struggled fiercely. He has pulled through. Consider him the Boedker of the Mueller/Turris/Boedker/Tikh group.

Last edited:

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
Goc has speed and his defensive game is not too dissimilar from Vermette's. The major downgrade will be offensive production but that being said Goc produces fine enough for a 3C. He should maintain our depth down the middle while Strome/Zacha/Marner develop.

Personally though I think Strome/Zacha would be plug and play into 3C almost immediately.

I see that you picked Zacha in the mock draft forum, but I see him playing LW (if that scenario happens) at the start of his career. I have a feeling that Maloney will trade for JT Miller next month. Soderberg would be a good replacement for Vermette. Letestu could be a cheap replacement if the Coyotes have to stay within a budget, but I hope it doesn't come to that.

But trading for Eichel at the draft (hmmm, don't wake me up)...

I can see the Coyotes shopping Boedker at the draft if his price is too high.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Zacha will need plenty of development time. He's physically mature, but he plays a pretty selfish one-man show kind of game. His decision making needs a lot of work. He needs coaching. Dave Tippett isn't about to volunteer for that. I'd definitely return him to the OHL.

Strome's production is much too high to return him to juniors next season. I don't think he's ready for NHL speed. So that's a problem. He's a tough one. Probably give him limited 5v5 time with all the PP mins he can possibly eat.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Does anyone think Tip will be the coach if we get a top 2 pick? I just don't see how anybody in the organization could think that would make sense. Domi and Samuelson should be ready. A top two pick and Perlini was one of the most impressive players in camp last year. How could you go into training camp knowing that several rookies had a legitimate shot to make the roster with Tippett as coach? I'm not saying all of those guys have to make it but I sure as hell would want a coaching staff that puts in 100% effort to develop those guys and give them a real shot to help the team.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Samuelsson isn't yet too good for the AHL. I'd say it's early to predict he's ready to be a top nine NHL forward as soon as the beginning of next season.

We have to wait and see how Perlini plays once he gets back from injury. I'm excited for a Perlini-Verhaege-Ho-Sang line. If he puts up two points per game, he will be too productive to return to junior next year. If it's significantly less than that, we can certainly return him. Domi's overall game is improving drastically this season and he seems to have really benefited from the extra year. No reason that can't be the case for Perlini.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
To be fair, Tippet is scratching guys like Chip and playing some young guys so far this year

He has no choice. A coach backed into a corner will push every button and pull every lever in the hopes it turns a team around and thus saves their job. If this team is bottom five someone is going to get fired.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
To be fair, Tippet is scratching guys like Chip and playing some young guys so far this year

XX said:
He has no choice. A coach backed into a corner will push every button and pull every lever in the hopes it turns a team around and thus saves their job. If this team is bottom five someone is going to get fired.

And Dave Moss being hurt opens a spot for someone from the A.

Hopefully one day we'll get the full story on how the last off season went down. How much of it was Tip and how much was budget with DM backing himself into a corner with one-ways. Even some of them which seemed good at the time.

Remember even Gormley who really started to come on before injury was denied a spot to start. Only the defenses pathetic play the first 10 games caused change.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
...just go after McQuaid next off-season!

To partner with Gormley? Sure, maybe, it could work. If you are suggesting he play top pairing minutes with OEL then uhh... no thanks.

To loop back to the current discussion; no way in hell do you trust Tippett with the upcoming forwards. Get him out of there and someone less anachronistic in there like Ulf. I bet every assistant in the league would jump at the chance to work with a generational talent like McDavid (should the Coyotes land him), or even really put their stamp on the Coyotes rebuild. It shouldn't be hard to find a suitable replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad