2014 - 2015 Coyotes Roster Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
This is when Donnie has to do his mother ****ing job and trade Vermette at a high price and go get us some centers.

I don't want a deal similar to the Spezza one. We don't want to be in that position where Vermette wants out and other teams know they can underpay for him.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
There's always the option of trading Vermette and still signing him again in the summer should he become a free agent. Though I don't see us going that route.

This team has no business signing a 32 year old Vermette to the AAV and term he is going to command. If Don was weirded out by Vrbata, I can't imagine what he'll do when Vermette opens somewhere near $6m.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This team has no business signing a 32 year old Vermette to the AAV and term he is going to command. If Don was weirded out by Vrbata, I can't imagine what he'll do when Vermette opens somewhere near $6m.

Yup, your right. Sell high.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ

Exactly...Vermette is going to command over $5m+, because the only centers on the open market are Ribs, Richards and Vermette, he's going to get paid.

...and I'm with XX, I don't want to pay him that type of money, because he's our #1 center, but he's not A #1 center. Let's go get a late 1st rounder or upcoming prospect and then Donnie has got to get busy.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Brett Connolly is ripe for the taking.

Sounds like Tampa is not getting the production from him to keep him in the NHL. He probably will be waived, or sold to the highest bidder (which won't be much since he will be picked up on waivers) We have room for him immediately. Lets take a chance. He is an coming RFA so he will be playing to stay with a team. If worse comes to worse we can send him down as he is sure to be claimed.

4th for Connolly and we probably wont be outbid. Move number one.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He hasn't shown anything in 100 games. He is what he is - a guy that is a dime a dozen. A skill player that can't contribute outside the top 6. Wouldn't give up anything for him.

If Tampa wants to change him out for a usable body like Chip or Klink, by all means.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
He hasn't shown anything in 100 games. He is what he is - a guy that is a dime a dozen. A skill player that can't contribute outside the top 6. Wouldn't give up anything for him.

If Tampa wants to change him out for a usable body like Chip or Klink, by all means.

But we have room for him on the top 6. I haven't watched him this year so you very well could be right, that he is not able to produce in the NHL. But why not give it a try. I wouldn't be as inclined if he wasn't an upcoming RFA.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'd trade our 4th rounder for Connolly. He's got an expiring two-way deal. If he sucks we can waive him, assign him, and let him walk in the summer. He's a right shooting goal scorer, though. It's worth a mid rounder to see if he can just happen to work out here.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I'd absolutely give up a mid round pick for Connolly. That's a pretty low risk move that can end up reaping a nice reward, esp since he addresses a positional need.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'm not against the idea of selling Vermette for a first. That would be fantastic. I'm skeptical that we could get that and I just want to see us with equal or better options at C next year. Preferably without trading Yandle or OEL.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I don't think we'll get a first(at least not for Vermette alone) based on how highly this draft is being valued. But a couple assets like a solid prospect + a 2nd I think could be had.

Money wise I don't think we are replacing him equally short of a massive hometown discount or a Uncle Gary backed McJeebus thing. Maybe there is some other sell low player out there to be had at the deadline like Vermette was.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I'm expecting a 2nd + a B/B+ prospect for Vermette, but I absolutely think Maloney should able to get a 1st out of him. Will likely be a conditional 1st, but it'd still be a 1st. Chicago and Anaheim would be the two most obvious fits.

Too bad Scott Howson isn't a GM anywhere - we could use another one of Maloney's fleecings of him right now.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I'm not against the idea of selling Vermette for a first. That would be fantastic. I'm skeptical that we could get that and I just want to see us with equal or better options at C next year. Preferably without trading Yandle or OEL.

Honestly the bounty we get from Vermette could make it very easy to acquire Mike Richards. L.A is going to be riding the cap again. Try for a 1st/2nd and a C+ / B forward prospect and then we have an extra second to send towards L.A and a couple forward prospects they may be interested in. He isn't a 1C but he would be a fine replacement for the time being. We get a higher pick this year and a center that could replace Vermette next season without getting rid of Yandle/OEL.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I'd rather keep Vermette at $5m+ than get Mike Richards, who is getting paid $7m this year, $6m next year, $5.5m the year after that, and then he becomes affordable at $3m for the last 2 years of the contract.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I'd rather keep Vermette at $5m+ than get Mike Richards, who is getting paid $7m this year, $6m next year, $5.5m the year after that, and then he becomes affordable at $3m for the last 2 years of the contract.

What if we can get 30% retention?

$4.9, 4.5, 3.85. Not much less than Vermette at $5+ but he could also be traded as I imagine Vermette is going to get a NTC or at least a limited one.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Maybe there is some other sell low player out there to be had at the deadline like Vermette was.

Two I can think of are Berglund and Anisimov. Anisimov is probably a non-starter due to the Russian Factor. Berglund (and I know DesertDawg has been pumping his tires) is no Vermette and is better suited to wing than at center - and LW along with LHD is pretty much the least of our positional worries.

I'm not outright against kicking the tires on Richards. But spending 6M on him next season does make me blanch. For that money we can probably get 2 decent UFA forwards.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Two I can think of are Berglund and Anisimov. Anisimov is probably a non-starter due to the Russian Factor. Berglund (and I know DesertDawg has been pumping his tires) is no Vermette and is better suited to wing than at center - and LW along with LHD is pretty much the least of our positional worries.

I'm not outright against kicking the tires on Richards. But spending 6M on him next season does make me blanch. For that money we can probably get 2 decent UFA forwards.

Yeah I just took another look at Richards numbers. He makes too much. That wouldn't even be a lateral movement unless there was 50% retained, which I just don't see happening.

I really like Berglund if we can ditch Korpi. I like that he could be that cog that switches to center if there are injuries. I also really lie B. Sutter, but dont know how easy it would be to grab him. However, neither of these are the 1C we desperately need.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
With all the center depth post-Vermette conversations we've been having, are we thinking that Gags shifts to wing full-time next season? Obviously Gags isn't a formidable presence down the middle but he's been solid enough defensively and his faceoff numbers so far this season have been close to his career best. Rieder - Gags - Doan has also been pretty much our only forward line w/ any type of offensive presence over the past dozen games (although something like Rieder - Hanzal - Gags could also work pretty well - it'd be like the reverse Prime Line lol).

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah I just took another look at Richards numbers. He makes too much. That wouldn't even be a lateral movement unless there was 50% retained, which I just don't see happening.

I really like Berglund if we can ditch Korpi. I like that he could be that cog that switches to center if there are injuries. I also really lie B. Sutter, but dont know how easy it would be to grab him. However, neither of these are the 1C we desperately need.

Only way we're getting the 1C is either through the draft (doing daily prayers for McJeebus) or by trading OEL. Gotta try to find a 2C/3C who can possibly overachieve for us.

I'd be really interested in Mark Letestu next off-season - guy is kinda underrated in the same way as Peverley was. Can play both center and wing, and adding another right shot to our Top 9 never hurts.

Last edited:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Hextall seems desperate for a deal. I hope there is a deal to be had involving Brayden Schenn. Some of the feedback from Philly this year is that he has looked better at LW than C, but he'd still be the most offensively dynamic C on this team. There is certainly potential that he becomes a 1C too, and quickly -- like what Dallas did with Seguin.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Hextall seems desperate for a deal. I hope there is a deal to be had involving Brayden Schenn. Some of the feedback from Philly this year is that he has looked better at LW than C, but he'd still be the most offensively dynamic C on this team. There is certainly potential that he becomes a 1C too, and quickly -- like what Dallas did with Seguin.

Not as sure of a thing as Seguin but I'd be interested. Problem is I don't know how we could get him with Philly's cap issues unless we take a dump back, which we can't really afford. I also don't know what his value would be. Gagner and Stone seems like an overpayment. Stone and Gormely seems fair but destroys our depth.

ibroce

Jul 11, 2014
Not as sure of a thing as Seguin but I'd be interested. Problem is I don't know how we could get him with Philly's cap issues unless we take a dump back, which we can't really afford. I also don't know what his value would be. Gagner and Stone seems like an overpayment. Stone and Gormely seems fair but destroys our depth.

I would never move two of our young D without getting a D back. If we sent both stone AND Gormley I would expect two Schenns, not one. We add.

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
So is Boedker a UFA or RFA? He's got the 7 years requirement! May have to ditch him too.

...Soderberg, we need more Swedes

response from capgeek

"Six accrued seasons including 2014-15 — he’ll be an RFA. You may want to check the CBA for the definition of an accrued season. Hope that helps."

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Honestly the bounty we get from Vermette could make it very easy to acquire Mike Richards. L.A is going to be riding the cap again. Try for a 1st/2nd and a C+ / B forward prospect and then we have an extra second to send towards L.A and a couple forward prospects they may be interested in. He isn't a 1C but he would be a fine replacement for the time being. We get a higher pick this year and a center that could replace Vermette next season without getting rid of Yandle/OEL.

No on Richards. I thought I read somewhere that part of the reason for Richards drop in production was his partying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad