2014 - 2015 Coyotes Roster Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It was a round or two early. It was clearly influenced by his dad. If we had spent a first I would have been livid, but on the second, if they convinced themselves he was BPA, then I can live with that.

ibroce

Jul 11, 2014
It was a round or two early. It was clearly influenced by his dad. If we had spent a first I would have been livid, but on the second, if they convinced themselves he was BPA, then I can live with that.

He could still easily end up in the NHL as a third/fourth liner. He has been above average in that capacity in Finland's top league. .42 PPG as a 20 year old.

The only 2 names after his in the draft that are big time misses for us are William Karlsson and, obviously, Kucherov. Otherwise, we got Lesso a few picks later and it was a pretty ****** draft post round-2. A ton of good picks before ours in the second though. A ton.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

His dad excused himself during that discussion. Once again a Keith Gretzky led initiative. keith was canned because of his lack of a poker face/ inability to gauge the draft and where other teams slotted players. read the Art of Scouting book. Everyone knew we were taking OEL. To the point the Kings jokingly said to Gretzky at 5 that OEL was their pick just to see the look on his face.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Is Reider the player that Coyote fans are expecting Boedker to be?

At what point can we say that the notion that Tippet/Coyotes are uncapable of developing forward talent has been destroyed?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

At what point can we say that the notion that Tippet/Coyotes are uncapable of developing forward talent has been destroyed?

Clearly after half a dozen games watching Reider play in the NHL we can put that notion to bed:sarcasm:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
His dad excused himself during that discussion. Once again a Keith Gretzky led initiative.

I know his dad didn't make the decision, but you don't think there was a nod to his dad in that pick? If Christian didn't work here at the time, would we have made that selection with that pick or waited a round or two? I still think he's alright and that he'll see the NHL, so I wasn't too bent out of shape at the selection. We'll see.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

I was re-watching the shorties and the second one Reider looks exactly like Boeds coming down the ice. The difference is as he begins to turn in front of the goalie he realizes he doesn't have much more space/time he shoots. Boeds would keep angling off and try to pass or dump it. I hope Boeds can take a cue from this and begin shooting more. Reider could be a very good influence on him.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
After really watching Rieder over the past dozen games I actually don't think Vrby is all that great of a comparison for him. Rieder has similar hockey sense, but he's far more aggressive in driving the play himself in the offensive zone and battling along the boards. If anything, Rieder's overall package reminds me of Zach Parise-lite.

Glad he's panning out for us so far. We could definitely use as many Rieders in our forward group as possible.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
MacT stated Eberle is available. Wonder how low he will go? Do we need another winger under 6 feet?

Brett Connolly had a two goal night. Maybe Tampa will be more willing to move him if he can continue to increase his value. I'm know he is being outplayed and they don't really have room for him in the top 6 where he probably belongs so maybe they can address a need for him now.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Rangers fan here. I come in peace.

I was looking to find out what your organizational needs are.

I'm specifically looking for a Left Dman, preferably one who can handle 2nd pair minutes somewhat competently. Puckmoving abilities are a plus. Could be a roster player, or a prospect blocked by depth.

I know that OEL is a non-starter, and Yandle is probably a stretch at best.

Any ideas?

The Rangers are strong on the wings, a little thin down the middle, and have a couple promising D prospects that aren't quite ready for the big show.

Once I know a little more about your needs, we could talk specific players...

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
MacT stated Eberle is available. Wonder how low he will go? Do we need another winger under 6 feet?

I think the issue with us acquiring Eberle is that we don't have the type of assets we would trade for him. To me Yandle is flat out better so I wouldn't do it. After that it's either futures we want to keep or flat out better assets like OEL. Then there's the whole what do we do with a 6M player when we can't afford to call-up a few players :laugh:

Most of our sellable stuff is more interesting to a bubble team. Vermette and the like.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I think the issue with us acquiring Eberle is that we don't have the type of assets we would trade for him. To me Yandle is flat out better so I wouldn't do it. After that it's either futures we want to keep or flat out better assets like OEL. Then there's the whole what do we do with a 6M player when we can't afford to call-up a few players :laugh:

Most of our sellable stuff is more interesting to a bubble team. Vermette and the like.

Yeah I haven't been able to think of a scenario that works. Unless it was something around Gormely. But I highly doubt that EDM would be interested, even though he did have his best game in Rextall. It's a shame he has been injured. Also, I didn't even consider the budget. Someone will probably get him for a steal though.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Gormley and Smith for Eberle and Scrivens.

Over payment. We rid ourselves of smith but id take Gormley over Eberle 10/10 times.

Murphy 2nd smith for (I'd prefer fasth over scrivens) Fasth and Eberle

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Rangers fan here. I come in peace.

I was looking to find out what your organizational needs are.

I'm specifically looking for a Left Dman, preferably one who can handle 2nd pair minutes somewhat competently. Puckmoving abilities are a plus. Could be a roster player, or a prospect blocked by depth.

I know that OEL is a non-starter, and Yandle is probably a stretch at best.

Any ideas?

The Rangers are strong on the wings, a little thin down the middle, and have a couple promising D prospects that aren't quite ready for the big show.

Once I know a little more about your needs, we could talk specific players...

Well, we don't really have many prospects left in the system. What we do have on the left side are Stone, Schlemko, and Summers, and Stone is a guy I'd like to hold onto.

Schlemko is an offensive D with some good shooting instincts. Something of a mess defensively but maybe if he had a solid SAH partner it wouldn't matter much. He'd be the best of the two candidates; problem is, he was already waived this year and nobody bit.

Organizationally, we need in no particular order a veteran stay-at-home defenseman with some grit; a reliable scoring forward; a fourth-line forward who has legitimate grit and edge but who can be counted on to play an authentic shift; and a first-line center.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I know his dad didn't make the decision, but you don't think there was a nod to his dad in that pick? If Christian didn't work here at the time, would we have made that selection with that pick or waited a round or two? I still think he's alright and that he'll see the NHL, so I wasn't too bent out of shape at the selection. We'll see.

His dad quit right after the draft so unless this was an attempt to bridge a gap in philosophical differences / attempt to keep him as part of the organization it was what I would classify as simply a scouting error. In the grand scheme of things there are going to be misses every draft. We want to hit 3 players per draft. We have one in Murphy and Reider/Kessey is two. Lessio has potential to make it three.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think I'm fine without any more ex-Edmonton forwards.

This. I don't want to hope Eberle can learn defense at $6M a year. The Oilers' post game interviews don't make me want to touch any of the potential "mopers". If he was cheaper, sure, it'd be worth a chance. He's extremely talented, no doubt. At full salary and the cost of Gormley? Not remotely interested.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Well, we don't really have many prospects left in the system. What we do have on the left side are Stone, Schlemko, and Summers, and Stone is a guy I'd like to hold onto.

Stone is a RHD. I think you've mixed him up with Gormley (LHD).

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Gormley and Smith for Eberle and Scrivens.
I'm fine moving Smith and reverting to the "pot luck" goaltending game ... LOL, Ochocinco, Griess, Montoya, G'affe ... but Scrivens is like the worst of both worlds. Not a #1 but not cheap either. This trade, we take on money and get worse on defense and get worse in goal. No thanks.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
His dad quit right after the draft so unless this was an attempt to bridge a gap in philosophical differences / attempt to keep him as part of the organization it was what I would classify as simply a scouting error. In the grand scheme of things there are going to be misses every draft. We want to hit 3 players per draft. We have one in Murphy and Reider/Kessey is two. Lessio has potential to make it three.

So would Ruuttu... ;)

And that staff is largely replaced now, so I'm not as interested in the score for that draft outside of how it impacts the franchise.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
His dad quit right after the draft so unless this was an attempt to bridge a gap in philosophical differences / attempt to keep him as part of the organization it was what I would classify as simply a scouting error.

I considered it a bit of "cheating" on the scouting side - something that Maloney tends to do on the trade side as well. I'll give Maloney the benefit of the doubt and say that perhaps the scouting resources were hamstrung by the bankruptcy, so he picked the devil he knew rather than spend more money and resources investigating more prospects. Kind of what he does in trades - talks to the GMs he's pals with or signing/trading for players he personally knows more about rather than doing the full due diligence.

Shortcuts are fine when you have to take them. I just wish Maloney would have a better scouting infrastructure and that he'd use it. As it stands, too many drafts and personnel moves over the past few years have smacked to me of the Moneyball movie scene of the scouts' meeting before Billy showed up with Pete in tow to change the culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad