Prospect Info: 2014-15 Colorado Avalanche Junior Prospects Thread (CHL & Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
Hey R.S., been doing a little research on the Avs prospects and been thinking about what they should do with Bleackley next year. Now I can only speculate so much since I don't watch Red Deer games and only have stats to go off of while you get these games first hand, so I'm looking for your input. Do you think he should stay another year in the WHL? I think he should since his squad will be hosting the Memorial Cup next year and his team should be better. I just think that he could be having a better year than he is currently production wise. I personally don't see him making the team next year with so many people already locked up at the forward spots. Another note, I think that Geertsen is eligible to play one more year there? Not sure, but I think he'll be making the jump to Lake Erie because it seems he's ready for the pros.

Siemens - Noreau
Bigras - Geertsen
Corbett - Beaupre

Those are the people still under contract next year for Lake Erie (assuming Geertsen signs). That's a lot of young blood on D, would imagine they bring a vet like Stollery or Gervais back, because one vet on D and Beaupre and Corbett don't seem to be playing much under Dean. All just speculation of course, especially since one of Bigras or Siemens might make the big club. Procrastinating for my finals at the same time.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm obviously not RS, don't know even half of what he does and like to hear his thoughts too. I can resist putting my 2 cents in though. I've watched god I think it's 28 of Bleackley's games this year. One thing you have to understand about his team is how they use their forward lines, they spread them out so evenly that it's really a committee approach. Look at Fleury's stats or even Musil, he was hot at the start of the season now he isn't putting up points much. Bleackley also seems to be playing a bit of captain's watch on the team, now he's playing with two guys they've recently traded for on his line. I noted the other week how it's funny he seems to score a lot of first goals. He did it 3x in a row lately and two less than a minute after the other team scored first. I feel like I defend him a lot but he's a fascinating player IMO that you just have to see in action, stats will never do him justice. He's not just a defensive guy, he loves to carry the puck and create and loves to just rifle the puck. He scored two goals in a game the other night so it's not like he's not doing anything. I don't think there is any way he will play for the Avs next year. To play in the Mem Cup is a huge opportunity and the Avs seem to be keen on development.

As far as the D, I generally agree with you. Hopefully they sign Geertsen. I think they should, there is no reason they should pass on him and not give him a look in pro. If they don't I'm sure he'd go back to Vancouver but if they don't sign him his rights expire. Those three on the monsters would be very exciting. I agree some vet has to be in the mix. Hopefully Noreau fits the bill, I like his game and would rather see another young guy get a shot than an obligatory AHL lifer. Corbett sees a lot of action when he's in, he just seems to be getting the rookie treatment. Beaupre I don't know, he could be an odd one out but his contract isn't up. Lauridsen seems to have improved his standing, I could see him get a one year deal. And maybe everyone's prayers will be answered and Guenin or Holden will become the AHL vet.

Last edited:

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
I'm obviously not RS, don't know even half of what he does and like to hear his thoughts too. I can resist putting my 2 cents in though. I've watched god I think it's 28 of Bleackley's games this year. One thing you have to understand about his team is how they use their forward lines, they spread them out so evenly that it's really a committee approach. Look at Fleury's stats or even Musil, he was hot at the start of the season now he isn't putting up points much. Bleackley also seems to be playing a bit of captain's watch on the team, now he's playing with two guys they've recently traded for on his line. I noted the other week how it's funny he seems to score a lot of first goals. He did it 3x in a row lately and two less than a minute after the other team scored first. I feel like I defend him a lot but he's a fascinating player IMO that you just have to see in action, stats will never do him justice. He scored two goals in a game the other night so it's not like he's not doing anything. I don't think there is any way he will play for the Avs next year. To play in the Mem Cup is a huge opportunity and the Avs seem to be keen on development.

As far as the D, I generally agree with you. Hopefully they sign Geertsen. I think they should, there is no reason they should pass on him and not give him a look in pro. If they don't I'm sure he'd go back to Vancouver but if they don't sign him his rights expire. Those three on the monsters would be very exciting. I agree some vet has to be in the mix. Hopefully Noreau fits the bill, I like his game and would rather see another young guy get a shot than an obligatory AHL lifer.

I generally agree with a lot of your posts, and I think we see eye to eye. Like I mentioned, stats are the only thing I have to go off of, but anyone who's watched him has the right to comment. They pretty much have their forwards locked up next year, so my guess is he goes back and captains them again, gets big minutes, and plays in the Mem Cup. There's virtually no room for him on the Avs. As for Geertsen, I feel like it would be a tremendous mistake to let him go, they're just in a cap crunch situation and have 49 contracts that I think they're going to wait for the summer to sign him.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Bigras will make the team next year. His game is really well suited to the NHL and he will be able to make an impact immediately. IMO Stuart would be a great partner to start him out with.

I really hope he makes the WJC, because IMO it will show how he handles pressure. Last year i'm giving him a pass, but he needs to be a leader this year and be really solid if he makes the team.

I'm not penciling him in yet, but if he has a big WJC i'll be more inclined to say he should have a spot. Until then, the AHL would probably serve him better, even if he would be an upgrade to Holden + Co.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Hey R.S., been doing a little research on the Avs prospects and been thinking about what they should do with Bleackley next year. Now I can only speculate so much since I don't watch Red Deer games and only have stats to go off of while you get these games first hand, so I'm looking for your input. Do you think he should stay another year in the WHL? I think he should since his squad will be hosting the Memorial Cup next year and his team should be better. I just think that he could be having a better year than he is currently production wise. I personally don't see him making the team next year with so many people already locked up at the forward spots. Another note, I think that Geertsen is eligible to play one more year there? Not sure, but I think he'll be making the jump to Lake Erie because it seems he's ready for the pros.

Siemens - Noreau
Bigras - Geertsen
Corbett - Beaupre

Those are the people still under contract next year for Lake Erie (assuming Geertsen signs). That's a lot of young blood on D, would imagine they bring a vet like Stollery or Gervais back, because one vet on D and Beaupre and Corbett don't seem to be playing much under Dean. All just speculation of course, especially since one of Bigras or Siemens might make the big club. Procrastinating for my finals at the same time.

- To me there is basically 0 chance of Bleackley making the Avalanche. Given Roy's apparent feelings on him and the apparent displeasure with how the team has drafted recently, Bleackley would need to come in and basically lead the team in scoring in pre-season to even have a sniff. Since that won't happen, there is no need to even speculate at this point. There's nothing wrong with him spending another year in junior. As you mentioned, Red Deer is hosting the Memorial Cup and he's the cornerstone of that team as the captain and number one centre.

- As for Geertsen, they need to sign him by June of this year (or in that ballpark at least) or give up his rights. Yes, he's eligible for another year of junior but I think he's definitely played well enough to earn a contract and to make a jump to the AHL. Hell, if Siemens doesn't continue to grow off his recent strong play, then we could even see Mason pass him on the depth chart in the next calendar year. I doubt that happens, but Geertsen is progressing nicely and will be ready to play in the AHL next year as a 6th or 7th guy.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I really hope he makes the WJC, because IMO it will show how he handles pressure. Last year i'm giving him a pass, but he needs to be a leader this year and be really solid if he makes the team.

I'm not penciling him in yet, but if he has a big WJC i'll be more inclined to say he should have a spot. Until then, the AHL would probably serve him better, even if he would be an upgrade to Holden + Co.

I think he would need to have an awful camp to not make the WJ team. I would say there's basically a 95% chance he makes it, even with some stiff competition on the blueline.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I generally agree with a lot of your posts, and I think we see eye to eye. Like I mentioned, stats are the only thing I have to go off of, but anyone who's watched him has the right to comment. They pretty much have their forwards locked up next year, so my guess is he goes back and captains them again, gets big minutes, and plays in the Mem Cup. There's virtually no room for him on the Avs. As for Geertsen, I feel like it would be a tremendous mistake to let him go, they're just in a cap crunch situation and have 49 contracts that I think they're going to wait for the summer to sign him.

They could sign Geertsen now and let his contract slide, like what they did with Martin. But there is really no need to do that unless they want to give out some signing bonus early. They'll probably wait on him like they did Bourke and give me a heart attack but will eventually get it done. If his team doesn't make the playoffs he could get a long look as an ATO on the Monsters this season. Bourke got in 15 games and that helped him quite a bit.

As far as Bigras, I think he's gotten better about being nervous, he was very good in the Super Series but true the WJC will be a big test. I dont think time in the AHL would be bad for him to start but he could impress in camp too.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It would be a mistake IMO if the Avs do not sign Geertsen.

Foote has focused all his coaching on him and Siemens a ton at the last two training camps, I think he really likes both of them.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Geertsen will get signed, but not until the contract doesn't have to slide. So basically this spring.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Yeah, there is absolutely no way they lose the rights to Geertsen. Dude is oozing potential.

At what point do we have to give Butcher an ELC? He has 2 more years in college. But I doubt we let him slip away either.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Yeah, there is absolutely no way they lose the rights to Geertsen. Dude is oozing potential.

At what point do we have to give Butcher an ELC? He has 2 more years in college. But I doubt we let him slip away either.

They have to give him a contract by August after he graduates i'm pretty sure.

And its starting to look like Geertsen might become what they hoped Siemens would develop into.

Kyle Wood is another interesting draft choice. I know he had a rough camp and is along way out, but he's got 9 goals already. And there was some talk of him picking it up quite a bit after he came back from injury last season.

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois

I was also thinking this too. He seems to developing well also and I think that he spends another year at Denver to be on the top pairing with guys like Didier and LaLeggia graduating, he will see his role increased and likely be on the top pairing playing in all situations. So my guess is one more year then, they'll take a look to see if he's ready to jump to the pros.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Might as well use the extra years they have on Butcher to let him develop there. I'd say at least another year but what point does it have to have him leave college early just to go to the AHL. I bet he finishes 4 years and graduates first.

In some ways I do see Geertsen as more physical than Siemens. I did not see Siemens in junior so it's not really fair to compare. Geertsen is just such a physical force, he's a bit untamed sometimes. RS said something on twitter about him being a wild animal and that's pretty accurate. I'm not really worried they won't sign him but it still needs to happen.

Wood is another interesting one, he definitely needs time. His game looks smoother to me than it did earlier in the year. He usually scores on his big bombs or wrist shots but yesterday the other team ignored him and he took the puck all the way to the net and deked the goalie then put it in around him, I'd never seen Wood try that before. He plays on the best defensive team in the OHL, top 4 and top PP guy. He focus on his defense the most but he really goes for it on the PP. Will be interesting to see where he is at the end of next year.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You think having 2 rookies on defence is going to result in making the playoffs?

Right. Not to mention the negative impacts that rushing a kid above where they can succeed, especially with defensemen, as we've seen with Elliott. I hope that next season Siemens can establish himself as a full time NHLer as the season wears on, and he wrestles the third pairing job next to Redmond/Elliott/Noreau away from Holden/Guenin; and Bigras can establish himself enough in the AHL to get a serious call up later in the year. It shouldn't be until the 2015-2016 that we see both on the big league club for most of the season.

All we need as an adequate EJ partner to let us be patient with these two great young talents. And I really hope we are because I think very highly of both Siemens and Bigras.

better than holden+guenin no? people put too much emphasis on age and not the actual talent of the player. do I think they'd make the playoffs for sure? no but they'd be a better team with them

Maybe, may not. Bigras could very easily not be physically ready to battle men yet in the NHL, and so get pushed around and lose his confidence like Elliott did leading him to be not just worse than Holden/Guenin, if their heads are out of their *****, but also stagnate and spoil his development. The avs haven't had too many defensive prospects with this much talent, so lets not waste them by getting impatient and rushing them.
- To me there is basically 0 chance of Bleackley making the Avalanche. Given Roy's apparent feelings on him and the apparent displeasure with how the team has drafted recently, Bleackley would need to come in and basically lead the team in scoring in pre-season to even have a sniff. Since that won't happen, there is no need to even speculate at this point. There's nothing wrong with him spending another year in junior. As you mentioned, Red Deer is hosting the Memorial Cup and he's the cornerstone of that team as the captain and number one centre.

- As for Geertsen, they need to sign him by June of this year (or in that ballpark at least) or give up his rights. Yes, he's eligible for another year of junior but I think he's definitely played well enough to earn a contract and to make a jump to the AHL. Hell, if Siemens doesn't continue to grow off his recent strong play, then we could even see Mason pass him on the depth chart in the next calendar year. I doubt that happens, but Geertsen is progressing nicely and will be ready to play in the AHL next year as a 6th or 7th guy.

Weren't Roy's complaints with Bleacks about his conditioning rather than his play/talent? Not saying he'll make the avs, just that...unless I'm misremembering...you're comment makes it seem like Roy is more displeased with him than I think he actually is based off of what he said.

I also think those comments where meant to fire Bleackley and Bigras up for this season, and both seem to be responding well.

Last edited:

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Right. Not to mention the negative impacts that rushing a kid above where they can succeed, especially with defensemen, as we've seen with Elliott. I hope that next season Siemens can establish himself as a full time NHLer as the season wears on, and he wrestles the third pairing job next to Redmond/Elliott/Noreau away from Holden/Guenin; and Bigras can establish himself enough in the AHL to get a serious call up later in the year. It shouldn't be until the 2015-2016 that we see both on the big league club for most of the season.

All we need as an adequate EJ partner to let us be patient with these two great young talents. And I really hope we are because I think very highly of both Siemens and Bigras.

Maybe, may not. Bigras could very easily not be physically ready to battle men yet in the NHL, and so get pushed around and lose his confidence like Elliott did leading him to be not just worse than Holden/Guenin, if their heads are out of their *****, but also stagnate and spoil his development. The avs haven't had too many defensive prospects with this much talent, so lets not waste them by getting impatient and rushing them.

Weren't Roy's complaints with Bleacks about his conditioning rather than his play/talent? Not saying he'll make the avs, just that...unless I'm misremembering...you're comment makes it seem like Roy is more displeased with him than I think he actually is based off of what he said.

I also think those comments where meant to fire Bleackley and Bigras up for this season, and both seem to be responding well.
There were also reports at times that Bleackley was the best looking of all the prospects in the earlier scrimmages. I think I remembered hearing about him getting wrecked quite a bit in pre-season games though.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
There were also reports at times that Bleackley was the best looking of all the prospects in the earlier scrimmages. I think I remembered hearing about him getting wrecked quite a bit in pre-season games though.
I don't think he looked that good in the scrimmages. He did score on a nice shot at one point, but conditioning was a visible problem as he looked exhausted early in shifts. He got smoked quite a few times, and I think poor conditioning had something to do with it, as he was putting himself in poor places on the ice.

I have to admit his numbers in the WHL this year are kind of underwhelming. I'm personally not expecting him to be a big scorer at the next level, but I still would like to see an improvement on his numbers from his draft year. I understand there are probably other circumstances that play a role in his numbers as well, though.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I expect him to be better in next year's camp and he certainly got a lesson on expectations. In my eyes he didn't have a bad camp though. I thought he battled hard and he never gave up on a play. He was always going for second and third efforts in drills when most guys would stop. He also scored in a scrimmage and in the B/W shootout, to me the ability to score in pressure situations (just like how he scored in the Super Series too) even if ultimately meaningless is big. I'd been thinking but one thing that could have hurt him was Red Deer sat him (and Fleury) out of all exhibition games whereas all the other junior players had seen action, that probably didn't help the game shape situation. I don't think he's comfortable at RW get either. But like I said, it's on him to have an impressive camp next year and I think he will.

I explained a bit about his role the other day. They have spread the talent out quite a bit and Bleackley has had to play with the new guys on the team. Other high profile guys like Fleury and Musil haven't put up big points. I don't know if he will get more points than his draft year or not but I think it will be in the same ballpark, he's roughly a PPG player. I think he can score at the next level, he has an NHL quality shot, I guess it depends on the role he's given but if he gets a scoring opportunity he can bury it.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I do but I also didn't see Siemens in junior to compare and I understand one is in junior and one is playing pro right now so it's not exactly fair to either guy. But I absolutely think Geertsen could become the type of player that Siemens is and become that type of prospect for us.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
IMO Siemens was better defensively at the same point compared to Geertsen. Not by a huge margin, but noticeable. Siemens is also a better skater. Geertsen is better offensively, but I don't think the offense will translate to the NHL for Siemens or Geertsen. If I had to choose between the two I would still take Siemens, but I think it is closer than some might expect.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
So whats the deal with Geertsen ? Reading the posts I get the impression some of youse think he's as good as Siemens

Definitely not the case. My comment meant that if Siemens doesn't continue his current strides than Geertsen could surpass him. All that means is that Geertsen is improving at a quicker rate than Siemens is. Which isn't exactly fair considering one is playing pro, the other is still in junior.

As for the comparisons of them at the same age, Siemens was still a large step ahead as a 19 year old compared to where Geertsen is now. Siemens played great hockey as a 19 year old and was arguably a top 3-4 pure defensive guy in the WHL that year. Not sure Geertsen is quite at that level.

Both are mean but Siemens skating/stick/sense were definitely superior.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Definitely not the case. My comment meant that if Siemens doesn't continue his current strides than Geertsen could surpass him. All that means is that Geertsen is improving at a quicker rate than Siemens is. Which isn't exactly fair considering one is playing pro, the other is still in junior.

As for the comparisons of them at the same age, Siemens was still a large step ahead as a 19 year old compared to where Geertsen is now. Siemens played great hockey as a 19 year old and was arguably a top 3-4 pure defensive guy in the WHL that year. Not sure Geertsen is quite at that level.

Both are mean but Siemens skating/stick/sense were definitely superior.

Don't think this can be stated enough. Can't really compare the two, or their development because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad