Prospect Info: 2014-15 Colorado Avalanche Junior Prospects Thread (CHL & Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Is there a good chance he gets traded by the giants before the deadline with them not doing well this year and looking towards the future?

I wouldn't call it a good chance.

It's possible, depending on how things go in Vancouver over the next few weeks. There's a good chance this is his final WHL year and the Giants have struggled so far this season. With that being said, he's been there anchor back there. He logs a ton of minutes.

With a new coach in place they'll have a couple of weeks to turn things around before really needing to make a decision. If they think they can make the playoffs, no chance they deal him.

I would say there would only be a 25% chance he gets dealt at this point in time. Maybe less, even.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
With Pracey no longer around, I wonder what becomes of Michael Schumacher at the end of the year. I've always been a fan of his and am convinced that he'd get a 2 year entry level this summer, but haven't thought about the fact that he was a Pracey project. I think he had NHL potential but i don't know about his future now.

Why would you say he was a Pracey guy? He was never a draft pick, I don't know that it was Pracey's job to fill out the AHL club. I think his usage and performance would be more indicative than anything. He's got everything Roy loves, especially size and he's been playing well. I think he's right up there in leading the team in scoring. I would think he's a candidate and also Kenny Ryan might deserve a NHL contract after this year.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I was a big fan of Schu's, but it's more of a gut feeling that he'll be passed by Roy's guys, assuming next summer Roy goes after some more Henley/Everberg/Rendulic types.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Schumacher joined LEM last season, when Roy and Sakic were in charge. I would think there is some sort of understanding that he'll get a NHL contract if he earns one.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Schumacher joined LEM last season, when Roy and Sakic were in charge. I would think there is some sort of understanding that he'll get a NHL contract if he earns one.

Yeah, but was Schu brought in by somebody Patty and Joe had already picked for the job? Or is it still one of Sherm and Pracey's people that made that move?

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
Yeah, but was Schu brought in by somebody Patty and Joe had already picked for the job? Or is it still one of Sherm and Pracey's people that made that move?

Exactly my reasoning. It would be a shame to see him go since Praceys gone because he's one of my favorite low key prospects.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Exactly my reasoning. It would be a shame to see him go since Praceys gone because he's one of my favorite low key prospects.

I like him to but everberg is a better skater, rendulic is a better talent, and henley is a better bottom 6 from his playing style. So if he leaves because patrick and joe bring in more guys like that trio, I'll be happy.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Schumi started the year with the Cutthroats last year, whoever decided to sign him was a pretty low level decision. The Avs may not even care that much about who gets signed to AHL contracts or only offer approval and not offer suggestions. The fact that he stayed up, got another contract and Dean hadn't put him in the doghouse is a good sign. He's tied with the team scoring lead, I think they know he's worth keeping. Kenny Ryan is rather decent too, the Leafs shouldn't have let him go either. Whoever is responsible for brining in new guys to the AHL team is doing a good job. Henley might be my favorite Monster, I love everything about his game. He might not be the best "prospect" but whoever suggested signing him needs a raise.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Schumi started the year with the Cutthroats last year, whoever decided to sign him was a pretty low level decision. The Avs may not even care that much about who gets signed to AHL contracts or only offer approval and not offer suggestions. The fact that he stayed up, got another contract and Dean hadn't put him in the doghouse is a good sign. He's tied with the team scoring lead, I think they know he's worth keeping. Kenny Ryan is rather decent too, the Leafs shouldn't have let him go either. Whoever is responsible for brining in new guys to the AHL team is doing a good job. Henley might be my favorite Monster, I love everything about his game. He might not be the best "prospect" but whoever suggested signing him needs a raise.

I would really hope that they care! It all goes hand in hand with creating a winning culture with the Monsters as well. If you don't give a crap about what's going on, I don't see how you can do that.

I would bet the recommendation for Henley came from either Roy or Tourigny.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Maybe care isn't the right word but not their decision since those players can't get called up. Hopefully they communicate and work together but the AHL franchise has to do things in their best interest too.

I know looking at the Q is mostly thought of as them just going with what they are familiar with but Henley was a very solid signing and Nantel as a 7th rounder at the time thought of as oh Tourigny just throwing a bone to one of his kids leads our prospects in scoring. There might be some advantages to gain by them knowing the Q so well. I know it isn't as heavily scoured and especially those small markets both those players came from.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Good news, we have 1 good prospect in our system !

Le Sigh.

Was going to mention Bigras with the others after the weekend but he's done now, won't be back to the OHL for a while. Was a great night for him, he was really on fire and not just the points. He's playing with so much confidence right now and he's doing everything. One on one battles, throwing a great hip check on the boards, EJ style coast to coast rushes. I remember last year when people said he didn't have a great shot and didn't like to use it. I heard him say that he worked on his shot over the summer and it's definitely paid off. The goal he scored last night was a straight snipe, he also made two great passing plays for primary assists, one cross ice for a backdoor play and the other took a hit in the corner to set someone up right in front of the goalie. He's second in OHL scoring and in goals for defensemen, which is remarkable because he's in the conversation with guys like DeAngelo and Subban. It's fun for me to listen to games where our prospects are the away team to see the perception of them from the other team's media, the other night the broadcasters called him an "offensive juggernaut".

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Le Sigh.

Was going to mention Bigras with the others after the weekend but he's done now, won't be back to the OHL for a while. Was a great night for him, he was really on fire and not just the points. He's playing with so much confidence right now and he's doing everything. One on one battles, throwing a great hip check on the boards, EJ style coast to coast rushes. I remember last year when people said he didn't have a great shot and didn't like to use it. I heard him say that he worked on his shot over the summer and it's definitely paid off. The goal he scored last night was a straight snipe, he also made two great passing plays for primary assists, one cross ice for a backdoor play and the other took a hit in the corner to set someone up right in front of the goalie. He's second in OHL scoring and in goals for defensemen, which is remarkable because he's in the conversation with guys like DeAngelo and Subban. It's fun for me to listen to games where our prospects are the away team to see the perception of them from the other team's media, the other night the broadcasters called him an "offensive juggernaut".

All good news. We need him.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Bigras certainly has seemed to take a step in his development this year. I wonder how much of that is due to Roy being a little less thrilled with his camp than last years.

If so, that's the response I'm sure Roy was hoping for. Hope he keeps playing with that offensive chip on his shoulder.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The reason to be optimistic about Bigras is that he's stronger defensively than offensively, unlike Barrie/Elliott were when coming out of junior hockey. He's also got a very high hockey IQ. Good reads and his gap control/defensive stick work is excellent.

I think he'll be in the NHL next year and play well, but obviously there will be a learning curve.

FoppaForsberg*

I was just going to make a point that Bigras is a year older, but they're the same age wow. Bigras must've been one of the younger draft picks last year

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Bigras will make the team next year. His game is really well suited to the NHL and he will be able to make an impact immediately. IMO Stuart would be a great partner to start him out with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad