Prospect Info: 2014-15 Colorado Avalanche Junior Prospects Thread (CHL & Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Camp has a lot to do with it. His performance last year had a lot to do with it. The fact is that the other LH defenseman are better than Bigras.

Are they really though? I haven't watched much junior hockey this year outside of Bigras games and some of bleackley's but Bigras is playing remarkably well. If canada genuinely has 6 dmen who are better right now they should waltz right through this tourney.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm utterly stunned Bigras got cut... I guess the good news is I have no reason to cheer for Canada now. :yo:

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Camp has a lot to do with it. His performance last year had a lot to do with it. The fact is that the other LH defenseman are better than Bigras.

Who are the lefties left? They still have more cuts to make, don't they? Or is the roster set now?

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I was going to ask how it was. I didn't watch the game, I saw Kitchener earlier in the week and wanted to see some other teams. I saw Magyar got second star on only one assist so wondered why they gave it to him.

Lol. No way should he have got that. Other than the assist, which was a really good play, he was pretty non-existent the rest of the time like the other poster pointed out. I was rather unimpressed, unfortunately. Was really hoping to see someone better. When he was drafted there was a lot of talk about how close he was to Bleackley in talent and ceiling. But I didn't see that. The least impressive prospect I have seen in a junior game (Bleackley, Wood, Bigras, Butcher, Henley, Corbett, Martin). Really didn't even notice anything positive to build off of and get my hopes up as far as becoming an NHL player one day is concerned- Average size, average skating, average skill, average effort, he was just another guy on the ice. I probably would not have even noticed him on the ice other than the one play if I was not looking for him like a hawk the entire game. Hopefully that game was not indicative of how good he actually is or his skill set.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Are they really though? I haven't watched much junior hockey this year outside of Bigras games and some of bleackley's but Bigras is playing remarkably well. If canada genuinely has 6 dmen who are better right now they should waltz right through this tourney.

Who are the lefties left? They still have more cuts to make, don't they? Or is the roster set now?

Nurse, Morrisey, Fleury, Theodore, Heatherington, Morin, and Hicketts are all lefties I believe. Bowey is a right handed shot. Bigras is posting a great season but that's some pretty stiff competition. It sucks that he got cut since it would be valuable experience for him but I don't think it's unreasonable.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Nurse, Morrisey, Fleury, Theodore, Heatherington, Morin, and Hicketts are all lefties I believe. Bowey is a right handed shot. Bigras is posting a great season but that's some pretty stiff competition. It sucks that he got cut since it would be valuable experience for him but I don't think it's unreasonable.

Well, Bigras is a better defender than Nurse and they now have the same production. Bigras was better in the subway super series, which was just a couple weeks ago.

Fleury doesn't have anywhere near the point production, and I doubt he is as good defensively either. Sure, he has tremendous upside, but what makes him better now?

How good is Heatherington's D game? I know nothing of this guy, but his points certainly are not anywhere close to a ppg. Would he be getting awards like the best defensive Dman over Bigras?

Morin seems like another guy who is getting picked more because of his potential than current level of play. His production is a lot lower. Would he be getting awards like best defensive Dman over Bigras?

Other than size I doubt see what these guys bring to the table over Bigras.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Nurse, Mo, Theodore and Fleury would be ahead of him on the depth chart. I think he's on par with Fleury but anybody other than Avs fans would take Fleury first. I wish Bigras had to make it but I understand why he didn't.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think they want more offensive D men, or at least in the spot they cut him from. Which is funny because he tremendously upped his offensive game.

I saw some of both those scrimmages, Bigras was not bad at all, he even got an assist. I don't really get it. If they don't think his offensive game is enough then fine but they should have decided that a long time ago.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

I wouldn't say Canada has 6 D better than Bigras, but I will easily say they have 3 lefties who are better.

Canada's D is very very strong. They aren't going to waltz through the tourney but they will be very tough to beat.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Lol. No way should he have got that. Other than the assist, which was a really good play, he was pretty non-existent the rest of the time like the other poster pointed out. I was rather unimpressed, unfortunately. Was really hoping to see someone better. When he was drafted there was a lot of talk about how close he was to Bleackley in talent and ceiling. But I didn't see that. The least impressive prospect I have seen in a junior game (Bleackley, Wood, Bigras, Butcher, Henley, Corbett, Martin). Really didn't even notice anything positive to build off of and get my hopes up as far as becoming an NHL player one day is concerned- Average size, average skating, average skill, average effort, he was just another guy on the ice. I probably would not have even noticed him on the ice other than the one play if I was not looking for him like a hawk the entire game. Hopefully that game was not indicative of how good he actually is or his skill set.

What did you think of the others that you've seen?

And yeah that's about my impression too, Magyar isn't bad but isn't the most exciting either.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
It's possible Hicketts being a right shot and playing well lately is the one pushing out Bigras. If Bigras was going to make the team, it was probably playing on the right side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad