Prospect Info: 2014-15 Colorado Avalanche Junior Prospects Thread (CHL & Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Geertsen's team has a good chance to miss the playoffs, I'd love for it if he got a long ATO look with the Monsters like Bourke did last year.

That we are even having this discussion is a credit to Geertsen and how well he has developed thus far. I'm not one of those that's worried about Siemens, I still think he's a good prospect but more is always nice.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Siemens and Geertsen's development seem closer because Duncan has gone through a lot of up and downs while Mason's stock has been a lot like Enron's without the crash and all of that. The Blades knew they were hosting the Memorial Cup quite early and had a ton of expectation to do well in this tournament, but they never met any of those expectations.

You can say they are the San Jose Sharks of the dub, always competitive, but something was never right. Even when they got Brayden Schenn who dominated the junior hockey, I believe they got swept in the 1st round (and they gave up so much for him). I think all this failed expectations effected everyone including Siemens, which made him stagnate after he was drafted. IMO he was trying to do too besides, including being captain instead of playing a simple game.

I will echo some of the comments here, that Siemens skating and defensive IQ is better. But this isn't a fault with Geertsen, I think he reads the game at an NHL level. Just that, he hasn't faced the adversity that Siemens has. That is my two cents on this subject.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Definitely not the case. My comment meant that if Siemens doesn't continue his current strides than Geertsen could surpass him. All that means is that Geertsen is improving at a quicker rate than Siemens is. Which isn't exactly fair considering one is playing pro, the other is still in junior.

As for the comparisons of them at the same age, Siemens was still a large step ahead as a 19 year old compared to where Geertsen is now. Siemens played great hockey as a 19 year old and was arguably a top 3-4 pure defensive guy in the WHL that year. Not sure Geertsen is quite at that level.

Both are mean but Siemens skating/stick/sense were definitely superior.

Cool. Thanks

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Few things:

Wood in the top 5 plays of the week...on both ends of the ice.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/video/index/id/4c1bd5c7b09985ee4914a7eb45e2d4c5

Bleackley two goals last night (that makes four in last three games)

http://www.reddeerrebels.com/video/46312

I wouldn't normally put this here but nice article on Colin Smith

http://theahl.com/smith-s-work-ethic-paying-off-for-lake-erie-p195282

Thanks for posting! Bleackley starting to get going! Has he been playing at center still?

Can't wait to have his shot on the Avs.

Any video of Nantel out there? I have tried to watch a few games but haven't caught much. He just seems to keep adding up points though.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Just an FYi for those with the NHL network, Nick Magyar and the Kitchener Rangers will be playing tonight at 5 MST.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Thanks for the heads up, I never have any idea who is on actual TV. Funny how they decide which ones to do. The way Kitchener plays drives me crazy but it IS entertaining.

I never could find video from Nantel's latest 2 goal game. It seems just like the AHL that the home team is responsible for uploading the highlights. A shame because the shorty he scored in that one was ridiculous. But here is one from a 1G 2A night in a tilt with Halifax. The goal he scored in this one is pretty indicative of a lot of the kinds of goals he scores.

http://www.huskies.qc.ca/video/45320

Yes, Bleackley is still at center. They've been a much better team since they put him back there so I imagine it will continue for a while.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Thanks for the heads up, I never have any idea who is on actual TV. Funny how they decide which ones to do. The way Kitchener plays drives me crazy but it IS entertaining.

I never could find video from Nantel's latest 2 goal game. It seems just like the AHL that the home team is responsible for uploading the highlights. A shame because the shorty he scored in that one was ridiculous. But here is one from a 1G 2A night in a tilt with Halifax. The goal he scored in this one is pretty indicative of a lot of the kinds of goals he scores.

http://www.huskies.qc.ca/video/45320

Yes, Bleackley is still at center. They've been a much better team since they put him back there so I imagine it will continue for a while.

No problem. Yeah, they kind of just randomly show AHL and CHL games. If there is some sort of pattern I have not figured it out yet. And no idea how they pick which games to air. You would think they would show a matchup between top teams, but the Rangers are struggling, rant they? About the only thing that can be counted on is that they will re-air the special events like the memorial cup and world juniors the next day. I really wish they would play more AHL/CHL games though, especially since most nights they don't even show live NHL games.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Kitchener is decent, they are currently a middle tier playoff team. I think their record is a bit better than they are but they just keep winning. They just ended an absurd streak of something like 16 games in a row with at least a point. They play this chaotic style but it works because they usually suck the other team into playing it with them. They beat Erie the other day and that one was pretty entertaining and Erie was so pissed. :laugh:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Bigras has been paired with Morin at the first two Team Canada practices. Ability to play on the right side should help him.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Haydn Fleury is having a really rough year statistically for Red Deer Rebels. Points per game is down to 0.44 compared to 0.66 a year ago and he's a -9 on the year.

Still, he was drafted top 10 and has a good reputation so it might help him to make Team Canada.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Fleury is a good player but he doesn't have the resume others do, it might be tough for him to make the team. I think he's a better player than Sanheim though. Fleury's numbers are mostly indicative of the way their offense is structured, which is why I say Bleackley's numbers are actually pretty good. I almost think he's in the wrong team, his game is much more finesse. The -9 is a bit rough, it would be better if he had more points.

Last edited:

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I went to the DU game tonight. Butcher is a lot better defensively than I expected. He's pretty strong for a small guy and is usually in the right position. Everyone knows about his offensive instincts already. He's probably going to have to work on his skating to get to the NHL level.

umdieecke*

I didn't see the end but I saw most of the Sarnia-Kithchener game last night. Magyar had a really nice play that created his teams first goal. But other than that, I thought he was kind of quiet. Sabrina's goalie was really on his game too though. De Angelo really stood out also. Korostelev had a nice goal on a booming shot. He was kind of quiet too though.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I didn't see the end but I saw most of the Sarnia-Kithchener game last night. Magyar had a really nice play that created his teams first goal. But other than that, I thought he was kind of quiet. Sabrina's goalie was really on his game too though. De Angelo really stood out also. Korostelev had a nice goal on a booming shot. He was kind of quiet too though.

I was going to ask how it was. I didn't watch the game, I saw Kitchener earlier in the week and wanted to see some other teams. I saw Magyar got second star on only one assist so wondered why they gave it to him.

umdieecke*

I was going to ask how it was. I didn't watch the game, I saw Kitchener earlier in the week and wanted to see some other teams. I saw Magyar got second star on only one assist so wondered why they gave it to him.

Dupuis, the Sarnia goalie, was insanely good. Shortly before Kitcheners goal, he made an unreal flurry of saves. It was seeming like it was going to be impossible to get something by him. But then, in a fleeting moment, Magyar was going strong down the right side with his the puck on his stick and a defenseman on his hip. It seemed like he may pass it shoot it but he took it strong behind the net (und used the goal to shake the defender who was on his left). Instead of doing a wraparound he skated along the blue line and put a nice pass in front of the goal for an easy one. And then after that, Dupuis went back to stopping everything. But it was a goal created by a forceful, yet poised, move and a really nice pass.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Saw a few of you mention it on twitter but should be said here Geertsen had a fantastic weekend, 1G 1A last night, 2G 1A tonight and named first star in both games. Seems the new coach is getting him to QB the PP and shoot more on it. The offense will probably be inconsistent but he's always a presence physically and defensively.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/1...ts-were-no-joke-winning-their-sixth-straight/

Mason Geertsen was a monster for the Giants Saturday, scoring a pair of power-play goals on point blasts and picking up an assist. He also had two or three break-ups of dangerous looking Victoria rushes.

It was one of the best games I can remember from a Giants defenceman at the Pacific Coliseum. And some Giants staffers were saying that the Colorado Avalanche draft pick was even better Friday night in the 6-3 win in Victoria.

He was voted first star in both games.

“I would say that I’ve been playing differently better,” Geertsen explained of how things have changed with him under Noel. “I’ve been more aggressive. I’ve been able to pinch up a little bit more, too.”

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
The development of Geertsen and Butcher will be really important for our future. When the Avs had Elliott and Barrie, we basically had all our hopes on Elliott and Barrie, none of our other defenders seemed to develop at all. With this recent batch, Siemens is progressing slowly in the AHL, Bigras has taken a big step, Geertsen also developing well, Butcher working on his defensive game. It doesn't seem like we have any attention grabbing prospects, but that is when we seem to develop our players the best.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Canada is expected to make some cuts today. Bobby Mac's take on the defense:

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
I'd say 4 D spots sewn up: Morrissey-Bowey; Nurse-Theodore. Capt Obvious there. Morrissey/Nurse scratched both games. MB/ST played 1 each.

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
IF, and I say if, Hicketts 3rd RD with top 4 as mentioned, 2 spots up for grabs from group of Bigras, Fleury, Morin, Heatherington, Sanheim.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
They don't track shots every game, but Geertsen had 8 shots in the game this Friday and he had 2 goals yesterday and his team had 51 shots, so he probably kept shooting that game too.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I respect Bob's knowledge a lot but he's had Bigras off his list from the beginning. And he says this after Bigras played with Morin as the top pair 2 games in a row (some of the locks sat), was one of two to wear a letter and used in all situations.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
McKenzie thinks Bigras had a disappointing camp, probably because that's what DP wrote. That's why he's been down on him for months. That's what you get with beat writers who can't understand context or tone and decides to sensationalize everything.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Bigras has been cut.

Mark Masters @markhmasters
Canada cuts Chris Bigras... had been one of seven returning players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad