GDT: #20; Depth Charge. Oilers v Flames - Feb 20 - 8 PM on SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Smith has only been bad for 21 minutes this year.

and despite giving up 4 goals in that time, he still has very good stats.
And I would suggest that 3 out of those 4 goals in that game were grade AAA chances. But the muff really stood out since it was the 4th one.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Smith also looks dialed in so far, the way he consistently stabs the puck out of the air with his glove rather than just hoping it hits him like koskinen

Reactions: Porkleaker

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
Is Markstrom pulled anytime this season?

giphy (31).gif

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
If Monahan remains out and Bennett still pouting/fighting with his coach, I would like McDavid and Draisaitl to take better advantage of their match-ups, especially since Tippett has last change.

The key matchup last night was Backlund on McDavid. That Flamers line were dominant. Can't believe it will happen again.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Huh. No wonder Tippett hates the fun, high-scoring games.

Goes to show with Edmonton’s goaltending, our best chance to win is tight checking clean defensive games. Run and gun exposes our goaltending liabilities, and our guys have enough skill to muster at least a few goals out of low event affairs.

Reactions: ujju2

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Yep. Montreal is also an illusion. I mean they have the best goaltending in the conference but despite that have a losing record in last 5GP and 2 of those were against Ottawa.

They did the same thing last season start out super hot and then fizzled badly. Price has help this year so they will stay in the mix but I doubt they stay in 2nd. That is pretty much up for grabs and Habs record will fall closer to the pack as season progresses. I figure the Leafs take out the Habs tonight.

I don't know how long you can go with Jeff Petry and Tyler Toffoli as your highest (15) point getters.

It appears unsustainable.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Another fun stat with the Oilers this year is that they’ve managed to have a lead or at least be tied in 17 of 19 games and 15 straight games.

Their current record is somewhat unfortunate in that some of those losses likely deserved at least a point in the standings.

Reactions: Oilhawks

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Do you even read the things I write? Literally nothing I wrote is being refuted by this comment and specifically your last two sentences. What you are doing is called a straw man argument, you are arguing a point that I'm not making but is only superficially related. I haven't chosen the standings they are a reflection of reality and the results represent the very purpose of playing the game. A more reasonable person should consider addressing the point I made regarding Calgary's influence in those stats if they are to provide an actual constructive rebuttal. I'm arguing very little in regards to the Flames and their quality and how it's affected the standings. It's far more centered around the poorness of the Canucks and Sens. I have made numerous concessions and caveats regarding the Flames and how these numbers relate to them and without prompt in the OP. They've played the Canucks a ton, they've played the least diverse schedule, and they haven't got the Sens. I agree this doesn't show the full picture for them, in fact it says the least about them, although it doesn't paint a brighter future either. The Flames I expect to push for a playoff spot but fall short but I'm also not excluding the possibility that at .500 they can't be better and establish themselves in the top 4. Nothing I said or pointed out indicated that. Read more closely please.

It's early but a 3rd of the season isn't THAT early. It really says more to me about Toronto-Montreal-Winnipeg and the difficulty they've had to face. Toronto for example has literally played 2 games against a playoff team other than us (Montreal). They haven't played the Jets or Flames. I expect them to have difficulty with beating the Jets and Canadiens and would imagine those 3 teams either split their games against one another or a modest edge is gained, this will help the Oilers who have been largely splitting their games with the playoff teams (as is necessary). These other top 3 teams can't all keep winning when they start playing each other as it's obviously not possible. They'll either split, like Edmonton has been doing, or one of them will likely rise or fall. It's not the end all be all but it's an obvious edge for the Oilers so why not acknowledge it? I saw it as good news so I decided to share it, that's all. I would have thought people would take it for what it is not try to deconstruct it as an exercise in cynicism.
Thats a whole lot of words.

Lets summarize: I said there is no clear divide because had the flames won they would have been 1 pt back with 2 games in hand AND 7 games vs OTT coming up.

This was in response to this by you:
"We're seeing a real divide in the division with a top 4 and bottom 3 (Ott, Van, Cgy). In fairness to Calgary, although they got the Canucks 6 times, they haven't got to play Ottawa yet. Still the divide looks clear enough that I thought I'd take a look at the quality of schedule for the 4 playoff teams."

We are.all in agreement if you dont lump CGY with OTT and VAN.

Oilers or even the Flames may not even win the season series vs Nucks. Way too early right now.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If Monahan remains out and Bennett still pouting/fighting with his coach, I would like McDavid and Draisaitl to take better advantage of their match-ups, especially since Tippett has last change.
I would put Drai and McDavid on the same line because we now have the depth.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I wonder who is banged up. Please don't be Haas. It's like he plays one game and then is gone. Comes back. Gone. Wouldn't be shocked if it was Drai. Guy has looked off and slow for a while.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
I wonder who is banged up. Please don't be Haas. It's like he plays one game and then is gone. Comes back. Gone. Wouldn't be shocked if it was Drai. Guy has looked off and slow for a while.

Yeah, he looked totally off last night, good thing we've got depth!!! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad