GDT: #20; Depth Charge. Oilers v Flames - Feb 20 - 8 PM on SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
42 goals in the last 11 games by 16 different contributors. Atta be buys!
Our depth and defense has really come through on the score board, which is considered to be impossible according to the popular wisdom about the Oilers (a two player team apparently).

The only talking point out there as to why the Oilers are a paper tiger is the goaltending. Our goalies have been better lately but I have my doubts about the consistency long term.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I posted this last night in the PGT but figured I'd repost it here since it's still very relevant.

We're seeing a real divide in the division with a top 4 and bottom 3 (Ott, Van, Cgy). In fairness to Calgary, although they got the Canucks 6 times, they haven't got to play Ottawa yet. Still the divide looks clear enough that I thought I'd take a look at the quality of schedule for the 4 playoff teams.

One of these is not like the other:

Toronto--- 12 of 18 (66%) against bottom 3 teams (7ott-3van-2cal)
Edmonton 11 of 18 (61%) against top 3 teams (4tor-4win-3mtl)
Montreal--- 9 of 15 (60%) against bottom 3 (5van-2cal-2ott)
Winnipeg-- 12 of 17 (71%) against bottom 3 teams (5ott-5cal-2van)

Edmonton has faced by far the most difficult schedule thus far of the playoff teams with only Montreal not getting to beat up on Ottawa more than us and they got the Canucks 5 times. If the goaltending can rebound to something even close to last years the Oilers should be primed to make a run when the difficulty of schedule evens out a bit more.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I posted this last night in the PGT but figured I'd repost it here since it's still very relevant.

We're seeing a real divide in the division with a top 4 and bottom 3 (Ott, Van, Cgy). In fairness to Calgary, although they got the Canucks 6 times, they haven't got to play Ottawa yet. Still the divide looks clear enough that I thought I'd take a look at the quality of schedule for the 4 playoff teams.

Edmonton has faced by far the most difficult schedule thus far of the playoff teams with only Montreal not getting to beat up on Ottawa more than us and they got the Canucks 5 times. If the goaltending can rebound to something even close to last years the Oilers should be primed to make a run when the difficulty of schedule evens out a bit more.

Overall this kind of thing probably matters very little, as its too early in the season to even be forecasting which are top/bottom clubs. The only team out of it are Ottawa. The rest are in the mix. Wasn't that long ago where teams were circling Calendar against us and we had a bad win %.

Moreso in a cap parity league there just isn't enough differentiation and dominance to posit that the who you play matters. Toronto is a difficult play. They will finish first, I had that all along. Also that Montreal isn't really that good and right now they are riding unsustainable production by Toffoli and a PPG Jeff Petry. None of these are continuing as is.

North Division is basically a top club, a bottom club, those known, and the other 5 clubs in the mix. We would differentiate as well, except for our goaltending. This season is mirroring 2005-06. We're better than other clubs most nights but goaltending being the equalizer until we got Roli.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Overall this kind of thing probably matters very little, as its too early in the season to even be forecasting which are top/bottom clubs. The only team out of it are Ottawa. The rest are in the mix. Wasn't that long ago where teams were circling Calendar against us and we had a bad win %.

Moreso in a cap parity league there just isn't enough differentiation and dominance to posit that the who you play matters. Toronto is a difficult play. They will finish first, I had that all along. Also that Montreal isn't really that good and right now they are riding unsustainable production by Toffoli and a PPG Jeff Petry. None of these are continuing as is.

North Division is basically a top club, a bottom club, those known, and the other 5 clubs in the mix. We would differentiate as well, except for our goaltending. This season is mirroring 2005-06. We're better than other clubs most nights but goaltending being the equalizer until we got Roli.
Just a note, even Roli wasn’t great in the regular season after the deadline. Team caught lightning for the playoffs though...

Reactions: RattsSSV

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

I dont think the divide for playoffs is clear yet. Only one i see is TOR at top away from rest and OTT/VAN at bottom.

If we lost last night we would be right there with CGY with them still playing OTT 5 times next month.

If we beat them tonight with Monahan and Markstrom playing then this divide is real

Reactions: Porkleaker

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
This GDT officially certified biodegradable.

Andrew Ference;
68F1A0EF-41CC-46A2-9288-0BA4BBC3E956.gif

Reactions: Cloned

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I dont think the divide for playoffs is clear yet. Only one i see is TOR at top away from rest and OTT/VAN at bottom.

If we lost last night we would be right there with CGY with them still playing OTT 5 times next month.

If we beat them tonight with Monahan and Markstrom playing then this divide is real

Yep. Montreal is also an illusion. I mean they have the best goaltending in the conference but despite that have a losing record in last 5GP and 2 of those were against Ottawa.

They did the same thing last season start out super hot and then fizzled badly. Price has help this year so they will stay in the mix but I doubt they stay in 2nd. That is pretty much up for grabs and Habs record will fall closer to the pack as season progresses. I figure the Leafs take out the Habs tonight.

Reactions: LTIR

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I remember when this was going on and its Dallas Eakins and Andrew Ference and Chiarelli and I'm like what kind of Circles of Hell is this. It was worse going through it knowing it for the shite it was. Really like the dark ages. Bring on the enlightenment.. I just wanted to FF through the bad parts. Get through the other side.

Reactions: RattsSSV and Cloned

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

Toronto is at the top because they've had a favourable schedule. Ive seen enough to know that the Canucks and Sens are the worst. Like I said it's early but it's a clear divide in GA and quality of competition. Calgary is the team that factors in the least in those percentages for everyone but Winnipeg. Im not saying the top teams dont deserve to be there Im simply pointing out that Edmonton has undoubtly had a much tougher schedule based on the current empirical data. It's not refutable. The data can change with the sample size as to the goodness and badness of each team but the past is concrete. Those bottom 3 teams are factually and statisically the worst 3 teams by a clear margin. Ill be honest this is exactly how i saw the standings likely playing out. We are a 3rd into the season.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
upload_2021-2-20_10-25-24.png

I thought that was Pulju in a life boat floating away. Holland reeled him back in just in time.

Reactions: RattsSSV

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Who was the jagoff beside Cassie guffawing about oiler depth.

Jagoff; saying the oilers have depth is ridiculous. Sure they are getting depth scoring but I don't think we can say they have actual depth.

Other guy; well they are winning games right now because of their depth scoring

Jagoff; no.

Me; ....?

Jagoff; ....just....no.

That miserable critter is Eric Francis, he’s such a miserable blow hard.

He’s trying to run Gaudreau out of town right now as well.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Toronto is at the top because they've had a favourable schedule. Ive seen enough to know that the Canucks and Sens are the worst. Like I said it's early but it's a clear divide in GA and quality of competition. Calgary is the team that factors in the least in those percentages for everyone but Winnipeg. Im not saying the top teams dont deserve to be there Im simply pointing out that Edmonton has undoubtly had a much tougher schedule based on the current empirical data. It's not refutable. The data can change with the sample size as to the goodness and badness of each team but the past is concrete. Those bottom 3 teams are factually and statisically the worst 3 teams by a clear margin. Ill be honest this is exactly how i saw the standings likely playing out.
Had the flames won last night they would have been only 1 pt back with 2 games in hand. They also play either OTT or EDM 10 more times from end of feb to end march.

Win tonight and we truly pull away. Lose and its murky again.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Toronto is at the top because they've had a favourable schedule. Ive seen enough to know that the Canucks and Sens are the worst. Like I said it's early but it's a clear divide in GA and quality of competition. Calgary is the team that factors in the least in those percentages for everyone but Winnipeg. Im not saying the top teams dont deserve to be there Im simply pointing out that Edmonton has undoubtly had a much tougher schedule based on the current empirical data. It's not refutable. The data can change with the sample size as to the goodness and badness of each team but the past is concrete. Those bottom 3 teams are factually and statisically the worst 3 teams by a clear margin. Ill be honest this is exactly how i saw the standings likely playing out. We are a 3rd into the season.

A couple things. Theres only an average 18GP elapsed so its too little to extrapolate too much on that. Factor in that there was no exhibition season and the first 5 games of the season were pretty random tosses. Any game could go anyway. Nucks have also played the most games in the NHL. While this doesn't help their positioning it sucks for them that they started out without JT Miller. They've had a tough schedule, a ton of travel. For the Nucks its the most GP, and the most travel miles. Even in an all Canada conference a ton of travel. Far more than any club if you happen to be the Nucks.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That miserable critter is Eric Francis, he’s such a miserable blow hard.

He’s trying to run Gaudreau out of town right now as well.

Seems like he's the Flames version of Jim Matheson. Also impressive (sarcasm) that Matheson has managed to frog leap Terry Jones. I mean no small task..

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
View attachment 398250

The good ship Oiler has been puttering and sputtering along the NHL ocean for 6 years now, with a small but crack crew. However the ship was small, and it lacked the depth to take on its opponents who prowled below the surface, trying to sink the Oiler day after day.

Sure, its crack crew managed to gain some victories, however if they didn't do it, no one else did.
View attachment 398251

Admiral Chiarelli tried but managed to get depth that was either too old and worn out, too inconsistent, had no gunpowder, or just did well in the preseason wargames. The crack crew was getting frustrated.

The Commander in Chief kept muttering something being in the water as to why the depth didn't ever work. Yes, something was in the water alright...the enemy! And Oiler depth that didn't work!
View attachment 398252

Year after year went by, and nothing seemed to change. However one day in 2021, in the middle of a pandemic fog, a massive large ship carrying the Oiler flag emerged out of the fog. The crew had seen nothing like it before. Admiral Chiarelli only used a one man kayak that kept tipping over.

Then one day Admiral Chiarelli was keelhauled and never heard from again. A new Admiral was hired, and spoke of finding new depth, and being patient with new recruits. He had a reputation of sailing the biggest, baddest, meanest ship of them all.

Could it be.....
View attachment 398253

YES, YES IT IS.

The new Admirals ship emerged from the fog and suddenly was seen by the crack crew in all her glory!!!

The Admiral stepped onto the Bridge and waved to the crack crew on the old ship Oiler.

It was Admiral Holland!
View attachment 398254

Music played, trumpets blasted, the King of the High Seas and Lord of the Admiralty was here!

He hailed the crack crew and said - "I bring you trained recruits, mercenaries from other teams, an elderly but wise goaltender, defence, confidence and depth! Come aboard the new ship OILER!"
View attachment 398255

The crack crew rejoiced.

They boarded the new ship OILER and let the old ship float away. It had many memories, most of them bad. It was time to make new memories on the new ship OILER with its large crew and lots of depth! They no sooner boarded then the klaxon alarm went off!!!!!

ENEMY SIGHTED AT 8 O CLOCK!!!!

Time to hunt some Flame submarine.
View attachment 398256

The new crew went right to work, locating the enemy and began furiously lobbing Pizza and Bouchard bombs into the water. One after the other after the other. The pressure was relentless, from which there was no escape.
View attachment 398257

Depth was hurled at the enemy, one after the other after the other.
View attachment 398258

The enemy tried to evade and tried to attack the OILER.

However it was the OILER depth that continued a furious assault on the enemy.

It was no use.
View attachment 398259

FINAL VICTORY WAS OURS, AND WILL BE OURS.

With DEPTH, the new ship piloted by Admiral Holland King of the Ocean and Lord of the Admiralty the OILER shall be the terror of the seas.

(zoom in to see what Rattie has to say)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:edmonton

PROJECTED LINES

RNH - McDavid - PJ
Ennis - Draisaitl - Honey Badger
Kahun - Khaira - Archi
Neal - Haas - Chaisson

Nurse - Barrie
Russell - Larsson
4K - Bouchard

Koskinen and Pray

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TEAM EVIL INCARNATE

:flames

PROJECTED LINES

Johnny Potty - Cletus Lindholm - Billy Ray Dube
Elrod Mangypane - Woody Backlund - Ratboy Tkaturtle
Jim Bob Lucic - Billy Bob Bennett - Clyde Ritchie
Billy Joe Nordstrom - Chunky Froese - Josh Lievo

Kneeordano - Augustus Andersson
Bubba Hanifin - Bodean Tanev
Bobo Mackay - Eustace Valimaki

Buck Markstrom

GD MUSIC

BISMARK by SABATON

FEARLESS PREDICTION

We send the Flames to a watery grave.

We win.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

+1 for Sabaton, hope you got to see them live when they were here before the covid times.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
+1 for Sabaton, hope you got to see them live when they were here before the covid times.

Oh yeah! Seen them a couple times now and met them backstage after one show, was supposed to go see them in Falun last year but then Covid....I wish they would play Rogers with their full set they use in Europe. Awesome show!

Reactions: North Cole
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->