GDT: #20; Depth Charge. Oilers v Flames - Feb 20 - 8 PM on SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Can GDTs be nominated for the Pulitzer Prize? Great work - left me in a cold sweat with all the action...have to check out the game tonight to see how this plays out.

We have to play the Flames, what, six more times? Given that, don't expect the classic version of the BoA...teams are just hungry for points.

Reactions: Porkleaker

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Seems like he's the Flames version of Jim Matheson. Also impressive (sarcasm) that Matheson has managed to frog leap Terry Jones. I mean no small task..

Its funny, I text with my buddies during the game and we said the exact same thing, that Francis was the Calgary equivalent of Matheson. Both feel that because they watch so much hockey they now know more than the players and coaches who are actually professionals in the game itself.

Francis telling a depth ex-player of a decade that he knows more about depth than said actual depth player was priceless.

Ginger Papa

Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Another great GDT @5 Mins 4 Ftg !

I’ll be along for the whole game tonight
7D3FD7D6-37BD-42CF-BC8F-CBC317B5AD00.gif

So hopefully it’s more of a typical BoA
66EB8766-F428-4E73-AED3-435C81491FF1.jpeg

May your Depth be underrated again
8AA39E8F-7062-4F0E-888A-5643720392C1.jpeg

As you start out swift and strong
ACD5AFFF-B268-4E93-A5E8-F70690411B40.gif

Don’t fall into Calgary’s dirty
952A39D0-F31A-4A68-ACFE-81C69C623FDD.gif

Deal with them accordingly
98329706-D67A-4B4E-9C92-971F559C2E28.gif

Play them physical
EA3A987C-DB66-4DBA-9510-CF38287A21D1.gif

In a way you can get away with
3257BFCC-530B-4D00-BDFB-878DB28C7B95.gif

May Koskinen make the crucial
218D49E6-6AF3-4238-B061-C383245D1064.gif

To
84E75CC6-3F46-4D5B-8DD2-7EBA2C7AED14.gif

Last edited:

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Pressure is all on Calgary tonight. I’m guessing they’re going to come out flying tonight and if they don’t that team has no balls. Oilers have to expect that and can hopefully counter. A 2 game sweep would be massive.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Not looking froward to Koski playing tonight. Going to need to score some goals. How many tips will we see go behind Koski tonight? 4?

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I think if we were to go 7D, I would sit Chiasson, but after last night that line does deserve another go.

I just want to see Jones in. It has been a long fight.

Reactions: tardigrade81

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Oh yeah! Seen them a couple times now and met them backstage after one show, was supposed to go see them in Falun last year but then Covid....I wish they would play Rogers with their full set they use in Europe. Awesome show!

Yeah that would be hype, wish they would play Carolus Rex in Swedish live, but sadly everyone in NA just wants to hear English lyrics. Nice GDT. Go Oiler!

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
A couple things. Theres only an average 18GP elapsed so its too little to extrapolate too much on that. Factor in that there was no exhibition season and the first 5 games of the season were pretty random tosses. Any game could go anyway.

That's certainly a fair point but it's got to be balanced with reality. I agree the first 5 games didn't tell a lot but they weren't irrelevant either. We've seen some consistent themes. I agree things can change but when you are essentially a 3rd into the season it's reasonable to start looking at these things. They have been the worst teams, it's a fact. I'm not saying the playoffs are set or for sure the other 3 will get worse and Edmonton better but common sense based on the current reality suggests it's likely. At this point we all know Tor, Mtl, Win are harder outs than Van, Ott. Calgary has been garbage but it's early and they've played the least. I'm not writing them off. Like I said they affect the results the least other than in relation to Winnipeg who we should all have a solid grasp on (we're better but goaltending evens it out).

Nucks have also played the most games in the NHL. While this doesn't help their positioning it sucks for them that they started out without JT Miller. They've had a tough schedule, a ton of travel. For the Nucks its the most GP, and the most travel miles. Even in an all Canada conference a ton of travel. Far more than any club if you happen to be the Nucks.

It's a tough break but the Oilers have played all of two less games. One of the inverse truths you could also take from this is that Ottawa and Vancouver have had tough schedules, and that's fair, but that's the reality of the North division and you need to survive in those games like the Oilers have (and without their co-starter or a viable backup). Vancouver is way down and they are 37.5% of the way through the season, it's a massive hill to climb. They've got the chance to go hard after us with the games remaining but with their goaltending being no better now and our team being quite frankly better everywhere else I don't see them as a massive threat. They could be, but I've seen nothing to make me think the loss of Markstrom can be filled by Demko and Holtby nor is Schmidt on his off hand as good as a HEALTHY Tanev, which he was last year. The scenario of pity you are describing only goes to show that you too agree that playing them early has been an advantage for the teams doing so.

The comparison isn't proof of anything being predictable but it is a direct correlation to actuality and that represents the best chance of providing future predictability. It's a good indication that Toronto getting to play Ottawa 7 times and Vancouver 3 is likely helping them in establishing themselves at the top. I don't know about you but I'd rather play Ottawa-Vancouver-Calgary a combined 12 times than Toronto-Winnipeg-Montreal a combined 11. That would have been true in the offseason too and that would still be true if Calgary was fighting for the division lead.

As for Calgary to me it looks like Giordano has taken a big step back and they can't replace him internally as much as they keep hoping Andersson will. They lack the star power to thrive in a division with elite talent up front as they can't shut them down nor match them offensively. I do think they've got excellent depth up front and some good players that could give them more so I am in no way stating they will certainly struggle going forward but thus far they unquestionably have. It might even get the coach fired or a big name traded here soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Oilslick941611

slapshot into the empty net...utterly irrelevant
Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I wish I could like all the compliments everyone but I am back in the sin bin for a few weeks.

Thx for all the kind words.

Lots of great GDT creators here, we have a very talented board indeed!
what do you mean where are you going

FanOfSadTeam

Dec 12, 2010
Hopefully the top 6 can get more done tonight. McDavid, despite raking up the points, seems a bit off lately. A bit sloppy (for McDavid standards) here and there.
And Drai hasn't been getting enough done 5v5. I'm guessing because Yamo is just not playing like he did last season. Just not as effective retrieving pucks. Maybe he's just been unlucky.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
The Koskinen vs Markstrom matchup has me worried, but otherwise I'm feeling good about this one. We need to get a couple past Markstrom early before he has time to gain too much confidence and rhythm.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Markstrom starting for Calgary. Koskinen will need to have a good game.

Markstrom is as over-worked as Koskinen was to start the season. Maybe more.

Last night is the first night off Markstrom has had after starting seven straight.

Not saying that makes for an easy game for the Oilers, but the workload has been showing a little on Markstrom.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Rattie and Ference just having a nice convo at the bottom of the ocean and taking on the existential challenge of today.

Whatever happened to that Ference guy? All I remember is the Oilers paying him $13 million for 32 points and him being -39 in two seasons and a handful of games for the next season. Then he was doing ads for the City telling people how to cut their grass and started some random running club.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Whatever happened to that Ference guy? All I remember is the Oilers paying him $13 million for 32 points and him being -39 in two seasons and a handful of games for the next season. Then he was doing ads for the City telling people how to cut their grass and started some random running club.

lol such a bad deal, but he's a nice guy, I went to highschool with him.

Reactions: shoop and ujju2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->