Speculation: 20/21 Season Roster Talk @ Line Combos

Status
Not open for further replies.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I would imagine if we asked for Gaudreau one of our goalies would certainly be among the return

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Never going to happen, but let’s get creative.

Barzal offer sheet. Lose 4 firsts.

Gaudreau and some good picks in 22 and 23 for Seth Jones.

Josh Anderson for a good defensive right D who likes to hit.

Gaudreau - Barzal - Cam
Nyquist - PLD - Bjork
Some combination of Tex, Boone, Foligno, Nash, Wennberg, Robinson, Bemstrom, Foudy, Grigirenko for bottom 2 lines

Zach - Murray
Gav - Sav
Nuti/Kukan - new RW

2 good young goalies

Pray Murray has a mostly healthy year.

Top 2 lines are great. Bottom two lines are solid.

Defense is still good.

Don’t mortgage the future too much even though offer sheet is made because picks from Jones trade.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL

Gaudreau - Barzal - Cam
Nyquist - PLD - Bjork
Some combination of Tex, Boone, Foligno, Nash, Wennberg, Robinson, Bemstrom, Foudy, Grigirenko for bottom 2 lines

Zach - Murray
Gav - Sav
Nuti/Kukan - new RW

2 good young goalies

Defense is still good.

Don’t mortgage the future too much even though offer sheet is made because picks from Jones trade.

No desire to lose seth, but I love the outside the box idea

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Gaudreau - Barzal - Cam
Nyquist - PLD - Bjork

Zach - Murray
Gav - Sav
Nuti/Kukan - new RW

2 good young goalies

Defense is still good.

As much as I want Gaudreau, that particular deal makes us a worse team.

I'm game for Barzal OS, 4 1sts be damned.

Reactions: CPTN71

Finner

Dec 8, 2018

Gaudreau - Barzal - Cam
Nyquist - PLD - Bjork

Zach - Murray
Gav - Sav
Nuti/Kukan - new RW

2 good young goalies

Defense is still good.

Like the idea, but in NHL is only 3players who i'd take before Jones and Gaudreau isnt one of them

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
It is basically a trade of Jones for Barzal and Gaudreau. Jones and Gaudreau both only have 2 years left on their contracts, and this sort of assumes both want to go the free agent route. Jones for Gaudreau plus picks isn’t bring back 4 firsts to offset the 4 firsts for Barzal. But maybe two firsts. Or a first and a bunch of seconds. You wouldn’t need to trade Jones for a center because we’d have Barzal and PLD and a glaring need at LW. I haven’t worked through the cap implications, but you give PLD a two year bridge and then let Gaudrau walk and use his money for a PLD contract in 2 years and hopefully replace him on the top line with Foudy or Tex.

A major issue with this idea is if we offer sheet Barzal, the Islanders or someone else might offer sheet PLD. So you’d want to have a bridge deal in place with PLD. But it is also interesting to consider a scenario where we get Barzal and lose PLD. Would you trade PLD and 4 1sts for Barzal, 2 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd — and what if the firsts coming back are better than the firsts we give up (like from Buffalo).

Anyway, to really improve our forwards, it will probably take two bold moves and cost us one of Zach and Seth.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Jarmo said he wants to get PLD and Anderson signed before he starts on making any potential trades.

Guess that means a goalie or a top D-man is gone in this case. No chance he has deals for both before Tuesday so that would also eliminate their 1st round pick from being moved as well.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
So the new wrinkle that Portzline brought up in today's Athletic article and chat is that both Atkinson and Foligno were asked and have submitted their 10 team no-trade lists. Although according to CapFriendly Atkinson has a 10 team trade-TO list so I think he has that detail wrong.

I doubt either move but it's certainly notable and wise that they are exploring all options.

Reactions: thebus88

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
So the new wrinkle that Portzline brought up in today's Athletic article and chat is that both Atkinson and Foligno were asked and have submitted their 10 team no-trade lists. Although according to CapFriendly Atkinson has a 10 team trade-TO list so I think he has that detail wrong.

I doubt either move but it's certainly notable and wise that they are exploring all options.

This is good news if true. Giving up on either would be very tough since they’ve been here forever and are part of the veteran leadership, but they’re valuable trade chips who we could stand to upgrade offensively on. Leave no stone unturned. (Except Dubois, Werenski, and Jones)

Reactions: thebus88

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
This is good news if true. Giving up on either would be very tough since they’ve been here forever and are part of the veteran leadership, but they’re valuable trade chips who we could stand to upgrade offensively on. Leave no stone unturned. (Except Dubois, Werenski, and Jones)
I would trade either one of them for a good return without any sentiment. Gotta win with the better players, not loyal

Reactions: lilfedor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Does Jarmo have to ask for trade lists in the offseason if he would say, sell a player at the trade deadline? Then I think it would just be standard practice to have them, no? I think those are the guys you sell on if the team falls apart.

I really don't think we'd get enough value back to justify dealing Foligno. Cam, maybe. But not Foligno. What he provides is is not redundant in any way. He was our top defensive forward this year (got on half a dozen Selke ballots), was our top minute guy in the playoffs (and with good results), and is the glue that holds the team together and a huge leader in the community. What team is going to compensate us for losing that?

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL

I don't really think there's anything to it. Probably just common procedure for anyone that has a modified NTC (and might even be "mandatory" as part of the contract). And no reason not to. If Holland is drunk and calls Jarmo and says he's offering McDavid for Foligno, it's good to have Foligno's list without having to take the time to go through Foligno before Holland changes his mind.

Of course, that's obviously an extreme example, but for a realistic one, look at a deal like Panarin for Saad; it came together pretty quickly, and was largely driven/requested by Bowman. Imagine if Saad had a modified NTC but hadn't submitted his list to the CBJ, and it took the club a few hours to hunt him down and in the meantime Bowman changed his mind. Jarmo wasn't "looking" to trade Saad, but he was given an offer he almost couldn't refuse. You never know if some offer could quickly materialize; it's just proper due diligence.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I would think that every player with a partial NTC has to supply their lists at the beginning of every off-season, if management is looking to move them or not. As for those two specifically, I don't think we'd get anything of true value back due to their contracts. Cam would only return a comparable player on a similar contract and Foligno's will be at it's highest at the trade deadline prior to being UFA.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I would think that every player with a partial NTC has to supply their lists at the beginning of every off-season, if management is looking to move them or not. As for those two specifically, I don't think we'd get anything of true value back due to their contracts. Cam would only return a comparable player on a similar contract and Foligno's will be at it's highest at the trade deadline prior to being UFA.
I think the play would be Cam plus a DMan/picks for a another goal scoring forward.

CapFriendly

Mar 13, 2020

Hi,

We saw your post and investigated the discrepancy. We have confirmed that we had it worded incorrectly, and have now corrected the language to a 10 team no-trade list.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Couple of CBJ related nuggets dropped from Friedman's 31 Thoughts today:

Regarding Laine:
There’s a legit chance it happens. Columbus, hoping to make a major move, is in there, but is there a match? Same with Carolina. Two teams that could do it: Los Angeles and Philadelphia. I’m just not sure they would. I also wonder about the Islanders. It’s the kind of stealth move Lou Lamoriello would love. But they’ve got cap issues and it’s not like he’d give us a hint.

And goaltending:
Calgary is checking in on every available goalie. I think the Flames talked with Columbus, too, but that’s cooled down.

Gotta think Gaudreau would be the target for any deal with Calgary.

Reactions: rotsbu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad