Speculation: 20/21 Season Roster Talk @ Line Combos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
What do you think next seasons lines will look like? We will have a plethora of bubble guys imo.

Foudy, Berni, TFW, Stenlund, Kukan, Peeke, Harrington, Nutivaara, Robinson, Matteau, Gerbe, Lilja

A lot of tweeners to choose from.

Nyquist-Dubois-Bjorkstrand -> 60 Goals
Foligno-Texier-Anderson -> 35 Goals
Bemstrom-Wennberg-Atkinson -> 35 G
Foudy-Jenner-Nash -> 20 Goals
Robinson
Werenski-Jones -> 25 Goals
Gavrikov-Savard -> 5 Goals
Murray-Peeke -> 5 Goals
Kukan
Korpisalo
Merzlinkins

Need more scoring ability

Last edited:
Reactions: rotsbu

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
What do you think next seasons lines will look like? We will have a plethora of bubble guys imo.

Foudy, Berni, TFW, Stenlund, Kukan, Peeke, Harrington, Nutivaara, Robinson, Matteau, Gerbe, Lilja

A lot of tweeners to choose from.
Well, similar issue to this season. At forward, this team has a lot of bottom 6 NHL guys, but not very many elite scorers/playmakers.

There's also a bit of a logjam on the blue line, so I suspect...as nice it was to have the luxury to be ~10 deep on defense and ~18 deep at forward or whatever it was...that Jarmo tries to pull off a "depth for talent" trade, preferably a top 6 C or LW. The right side is actually set up really nicely with Bjorkstrand, Atkinson, Bemstrom, and Anderson if they can work out a deal (re-watching the Tampa series - they absolutely should!).

Given Torts' recent comments on Texier, I imagine he'll get a chance to play in the middle again. I can see a battle between him and Foudy for a center spot, and the "loser" so to speak moving to LW.

But yeah, hard to project at this point because of guys with contract status up in the air and rumors (Anderson) as well as, like you said, just a logjam of bubble guys. I might give it a go later.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Well, I would still like to see some things more solidified before guessing on the roster - namely Anderson and if Jarmo goes depth for talent on the trade front. Anderson - there's been *a lot* of smoke for a few months now and his name was linked to a possible trade for Trocheck. So I remain, sadly, skeptical about both sides agreeing to a middle-ish/long-ish term agreement here. As for a trade, it's pretty obvious we have a lot of bottom 6 forwards and a lot of bottom pair D we could package together for a top 6 forward - ideally center, but those cost more. Then again, this has been true for awhile and no deal has been made of this nature yet.

FA / newly acquired LW - PLD - Bjorkstrand
Nyquist - Texier/Foudy - Atkinson
Foudy/Texier - Jenner - Anderson
Foligno-Nash-Bemstrom
Robinson

Werenski-Jones
Gavrikov-Savard
Nutivaara-Peeke

Elvis (1a)
Korpisalo (1b)

I think Murray goes LTIRetired or I'm just counting on him being injured by the time the season starts. And I think we include Wennberg with Kukan or Harrington and maybe another depth player to acquire a top 6 LW. Wasn't sure what to do with all the RWs - maybe swap the loser of the Texier/Foudy center battle with Bemstrom?

I'm probably wrong on all those counts. But it's obvious that this team has some decisions to make. A blue liner with one year remaining (Savard) plus a bunch of bottom pair guys, as many as five - Peeke, Nutivaara, Kukan, Harrington, Murray - and that's writing off Gabe Carlsson. And then there's just an influx of bottom six forwards as well - Nash, Robinson, Stenlund, Gerbe, Lilja, Matteau, Foudy, Shore, MacInnis, etc. This doesn't even include Grigorenko or TFW.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Well, I would still like to see some things more solidified before guessing on the roster - namely Anderson and if Jarmo goes depth for talent on the trade front. Anderson - there's been *a lot* of smoke for a few months now and his name was linked to a possible trade for Trocheck. So I remain, sadly, skeptical about both sides agreeing to a middle-ish/long-ish term agreement here. As for a trade, it's pretty obvious we have a lot of bottom 6 forwards and a lot of bottom pair D we could package together for a top 6 forward - ideally center, but those cost more. Then again, this has been true for awhile and no deal has been made of this nature yet.

Robinson-Nash-Bemstrom
Werenski-Jones
Gavrikov-Savard
Nutivaara-Peeke
Elvis (1a)
Korpisalo (1b)

I think Murray goes LTIRetired or I'm just counting on him being injured by the time the season starts. And I think we include Wennberg with Kukan or Harrington and maybe another depth player to acquire a top 6 LW. Wasn't sure what to do with all the RWs - maybe swap the loser of the Texier/Foudy center battle with Bemstrom?

I'm probably wrong on all those counts. But it's obvious that this team has some decisions to make. A blue liner with one year remaining (Savard) plus a bunch of bottom pair guys, as many as five - Peeke, Nutivaara, Kukan, Harrington, Murray - and that's writing off Gabe Carlsson. And then there's just an influx of bottom six forwards as well - Nash, Robinson, Stenlund, Gerbe, Lilja, Matteau, Foudy, Shore, MacInnis, etc. This doesn't even include Grigorenko or TFW.

Or Nick Foligno.

Sorry to point that out. The post is solid and I agree with most of your observations.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Who in their right mind will trade us a top 6 F for a bottom 6 F and a bottom 6 D?

I don't think Murray will be LITRetired but who knows? If he is not then I think either he or Savard needs to be in a deal for a top 6 forward but even then I don't know if we have the chips to get one.

A better pipe dream imo is to sign a UFA like Mike Hoffman or Dadonov. Galchenyuk might be worth a flyer. And then there is Hall who probably costs too much.

I missed the Grigorenko signing and that could be a sleeper.

Reactions: Cowumbus

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Who in their right mind will trade us a top 6 F for a bottom 6 F and a bottom 6 D?

Well, first off, I said it would be two forwards, one of whom would be Wennberg. Unsaid is that we'd probably have to sweeten the deal with a pick or prospect. But, uh, those deals happen a lot. A team that needs to dump cap. A team that needs to upgrade its depth. Etc.

I also said I'm likely to be wrong. :)

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I would really like them to give MacInnis a good look at 4th line center and see if he can improve with time in Columbus. In Cleveland, he has improved each year. He is solid everywhere they put him, be it even strength, PP, or the PK. He had 30 points in 45 games, and is a solid defender. He might be a guy that needs to play at a certain level and improve as he goes. He wasn't too good in his first AHL season, but has improved each year. I think he would fit the 4th line well.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
I would really like them to give MacInnis a good look at 4th line center and see if he can improve with time in Columbus. In Cleveland, he has improved each year. He is solid everywhere they put him, be it even strength, PP, or the PK. He had 30 points in 45 games, and is a solid defender. He might be a guy that needs to play at a certain level and improve as he goes. He wasn't too good in his first AHL season, but has improved each year. I think he would fit the 4th line well.
MacInnis is not NHL quality, sorry to say it. Rather have Stenlund, Lilja or Matteau.

Texier PLD Bjorkstrand
Nyquist Wennberg Atkinson
Foligno Jenner Anderson
Bemstrom Nash Grigorenko

I think a couple forwards get moved, Anderson seems probable.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Foligno-Dubois-Bjorkstrand
Nyquist-Texier-Atkinson
Bemstrom-Wennberg-Anderson
Grigorenko-Jenner-Nash
Gerbe

Werenski-Jones
Gavrikov-Savard
Murray-Nutivaara
Kukan, Harrington

Elvis
Korpi

Some points:

1. Shore, Matteau, Stenlund, and others obviously to the minors. Had a hard time deciding between Shore and Gerbe for the extra forward, went with Gerbe because of personal preference.

2. Could easily see Kukan, Harrington, Nutivaara, or Murray getting traded for forward help in the offseason. It's hard to factor in trades in this equation.

3. The goal of this offseason needs to be getting another winger. Foligno doesn't belong in anybodies top 6.

4. Texier is going to be getting a full time trial as 2C. The need for center is still there though, as we can try to get an established 2C to push Texier down, and move Wennberg out.

5. Foudy needs a year in the minors. Isn't worth playing him 4th line minutes and they didn't sign Grigorenko to go to Cleveland. Foudy will be full time after next year, maybe even replacing Wennberg.

6. Obviously Anderson's situation will need addressing. Hopefully they keep him.

7. This roster is two pieces away from being a contender. A top 6 winger and center.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
MacInnis is not NHL quality, sorry to say it. Rather have Stenlund, Lilja or Matteau.

Texier PLD Bjorkstrand
Nyquist Wennberg Atkinson
Foligno Jenner Anderson
Bemstrom Nash Grigorenko

I think a couple forwards get moved, Anderson seems probable.
I guess so. It is interesting though, that MacInnis outplayed all three of the guys you would rather have, in Cleveland. He may not be NHL material, but he isn't worse than those three.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Foligno-Dubois-Bjorkstrand
Nyquist-Texier-Atkinson
Bemstrom-Wennberg-Anderson
Grigorenko-Jenner-Nash
Gerbe

Werenski-Jones
Gavrikov-Savard
Murray-Nutivaara
Kukan, Harrington

Elvis
Korpi

Some points:

1. Shore, Matteau, Stenlund, and others obviously to the minors. Had a hard time deciding between Shore and Gerbe for the extra forward, went with Gerbe because of personal preference.

2. Could easily see Kukan, Harrington, Nutivaara, or Murray getting traded for forward help in the offseason. It's hard to factor in trades in this equation.

3. The goal of this offseason needs to be getting another winger. Foligno doesn't belong in anybodies top 6.

4. Texier is going to be getting a full time trial as 2C. The need for center is still there though, as we can try to get an established 2C to push Texier down, and move Wennberg out.

5. Foudy needs a year in the minors. Isn't worth playing him 4th line minutes and they didn't sign Grigorenko to go to Cleveland. Foudy will be full time after next year, maybe even replacing Wennberg.

6. Obviously Anderson's situation will need addressing. Hopefully they keep him.

7. This roster is two pieces away from being a contender. A top 6 winger and center.
Top 6 winger could be had through free agency, although I don’t know that Hall is worth what he is going to want. Agree with the Foligno point.

Murray + Anderson/Wennberg for Domi/Nylander could be an option to get a C.

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020

Foligno-Nash-Bemstrom
Robinson

Werenski-Jones
Gavrikov-Savard
Nutivaara-Peeke

Elvis (1a)
Korpisalo (1b)

Good post...agree with most. But wondering if you're undervaluing some of the D-men...not sure Nativara, Kukan, Peeke, and (pipe dream I know) a healthy Murray are all 5th or 6th D-men.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Good post...agree with most. But wondering if you're undervaluing some of the D-men...not sure Nativara, Kukan, Peeke, and (pipe dream I know) a healthy Murray are all 5th or 6th D-men.

True. I just meant Werenski-Jones and Gavrikov-Savard block any from a top 4 spot on this roster. A healthy Murray is certainly top 4...but is he ever really healthy? Concerning reports this season about his back. I think Nuti and Kukan could play up a pair and Peeke has potential to do so in the future.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
It's probably too early to tell with Peeke, but Nuti and Kukan need to be better. Especially Kukan. He is way too inconsistent. He will be a 5 or 6 until he can put a solid game together on a night in and night out basis. I really like Kukan, he can play good defense, and also step up offensively, but he needs to be better.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Top 6 winger could be had through free agency, although I don’t know that Hall is worth what he is going to want. Agree with the Foligno point.

The free agent class this year is...not great.
Hoffman, Hall, Dadonov, Toffoli are the only UFA forwards with a point per game pace of 0.6 or better this season.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
My point is that it's not a 2019 free agent class. At least, not at forward.

Toffoli has had one 50+ point season and it was in '15-'16.

He has 44 in 68 so far this year so he could hit 50 if season plays out. But your point is taken. I don't think he is the answer to our needs at LW. I'd like the Jackets to sign Hoffman,assuming the price, and more importantly the term, is right

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
He has 44 in 68 so far this year so he could hit 50 if season plays out. But your point is taken. I don't think he is the answer to our needs at LW. I'd like the Jackets to sign Hoffman,assuming the price, and more importantly the term, is right
Do you know if the Kings are a defense 1st type of team? Because once he got traded to the Canucks, he had an offensive explosion. I wouldn't mind him but I think any team who signs him might over pay for him(yeah most UFA's are). One thing that might be appealing about Toffoli is he's only 27 compared to Hoffman (30), Dadonov (31).

Reactions: Cowumbus

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Jarmos big deal - PLD - Björk

Nyquist - Grigorenko - Cam

Bemström - Wenny - Tex

Boone - Nash - Foligno

Jones - Zach

Savard - Gavrikov

Nuti/Peeke - Murray

Korpi/Elvis

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Anderson gone?
Grigorenko at C?
Switch Texier and Grigorenko.
What to do about our $4.9M albatross Wennberg? I'm at my wits end and we still have three years to pay him. We got very little for Milano and will get even less if we trade Wennberg. I read somewhere the CBJ are going to give Tex a strong look at center so I'm to the point I would try Wennberg out at the D position. He wouldn't be perfect, but he has to be better than he is at center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad