Speculation: 20/21 Season Roster Talk @ Line Combos

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I think they bite the bullet and buy out Wennberg before the window closes, though I wouldn't rule out a last minute trade with retention. You don't want that 900k hit dragging the team in years 4-6. I think Wennberg would be more valuable to some clubs other than the Jackets that need a defensive 3C. Not $4.9m valuable in any case.

$900k is a rounding error considering the $ you save not paying him $4.9m the next three years. It's also only $442k for 3 years, then $892k the three years after that since he's younger than 26.

You absolutely do it if you can't find a team to dump him to for, like, a 6th rounder.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
$900k is a rounding error considering the $ you save not paying him $4.9m the next three years. It's also only $442k for 3 years, then $892k the three years after that since he's younger than 26.

You absolutely do it if you can't find a team to dump him to for, like, a 6th rounder.

I'm not arguing against a buyout, but we'd be paying in total 33% of his salary and that is not a rounding error. I was thinking it might be better to retain $1.25m for three years than to pay Wennberg in total $5m to play for a different team.

If I'm Sakic I want a player like Wennberg at 3C, but I'm also willing to wait and hope to get him as a cheap post-buyout UFA rather than acquiring him in a retained salary trade. Especially now that this news is out.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
I think this Wennberg buyout news was intentionally leaked to try to drum up interest.

Sure, they might buy him out but then teams are competing against 30 other teams to sign him. Jarmo could be saying how about you work with us on a trade with some retention involved and we'll guarantee you get this guy for 3 years for say, a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick.

Of course the problem with that strategy is teams will likely call his bluff and take their chances. In that case, they buy him out and move on.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I think this Wennberg buyout news was intentionally leaked to try to drum up interest.

Sure, they might buy him out but then teams are competing against 30 other teams to sign him.

You might be right about this.

And forget “30 other teams”, with Wenny you should throw in Europe and Russia.

Or really, only a few NHL teams if were honest.

2020 Offseason: The Wennberg Sweepstakes

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Doesn’t the NHL have to change some rule for the 1/3 buyout to happen due to the dates?

The NHLPA won’t let the buyout happen unless they get some other concession from the NHL. The NHL won’t give anything up to the union so 1 team can save a few million.

But Portzline gonna Portzline.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Doesn’t the NHL have to change some rule for the 1/3 buyout to happen due to the dates?

The NHLPA won’t let the buyout happen unless they get some other concession from the NHL. The NHL won’t give anything up to the union so 1 team can save a few million.

Portzline clarified that they are using the age as of June, as if this buyout window is still happening in June. What do you mean Portzline gonna Portzline? He did the research and presented it. I guess that's what it means.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
What do you mean Portzline gonna Portzline?

Didn’t read the article because I don’t have any interest in paying for what the Athletic offers. But I would define Portzlining as writing an article about the CBJ like you have inside knowledge as to what they are considering doing even though you don’t.

Reactions: CPTN71

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Didn’t read the article because I don’t have any interest in paying for what the Athletic offers. But I would define Portzlining as writing an article about the CBJ like you have inside knowledge as to what they are considering doing even though you don’t.

Okay, I've seen him do that plenty of times. It's annoying. He's not doing that here and I don't know how you'd know that if you're not reading him.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Finner

Dec 8, 2018

Okay so we are getting some big name. 90% sure its a winger and Laine is on the rumours, i want to put my spoon in this soup. Jaden Schwartz from St.Louis. One of Jarmo's discovery and god Jarmo likes that guy. Schwartz is much cheaper than Laine so Z/Jones/PLD stays untouchable. But still Schwartz is update for offence.

Schwartz - PLD - Bjorky

Okay i could go with that 1st line but
still second like looks too thin for contender material. 2big trades and MG from free agenzy.

Schwartz - PLD - Laine

Cam - MG - Bjork

Nyquist - Grigorenko - Foudy

Foligno - Nash - Jenner

Jones - ?? ( if Laine costs Zach?

Savard - Gavrikov

Peeke - Kukan

Trade pieces

Zach
Tex
Andy
Murray
Wenny
Stenlund
VV

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Okay so we are getting some big name. 90% sure its a winger and Laine is on the rumours, i want to put my spoon in this soup. Jaden Schwartz from St.Louis. One of Jarmo's discovery and god Jarmo likes that guy. Schwartz is much cheaper than Laine so Z/Jones/PLD stays untouchable. But still Schwartz is update for offence.

Schwartz - PLD - Bjorky

Okay i could go with that 1st line but
still second like looks too thin for contender material. 2big trades and MG from free agenzy.

Schwartz - PLD - Laine

Cam - MG - Bjork

Nyquist - Grigorenko - Foudy

Foligno - Nash - Jenner

Jones - ?? ( if Laine costs Zach?

Savard - Gavrikov

Peeke - Kukan

Trade pieces

Zach
Tex
Andy
Murray
Wenny
Stenlund
VV
We fix our poor center depth with 2 players who have shown no ability to be NHL centers? Makes sense. Also willing to bet Werenski is in a CBJ sweater next year

Reactions: majormajor

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH

It's all in the MOU released by the NHL and NHLPA in July. You can read it for yourself on the NHL Player's Association Website. It's really not that hard to do the research yourself either.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Not a rumor but a suggestion by Eric Duhatschek but would you guys do Jack Roslovic for Ryan Murray(20% retained)? He said Columbus has enough grit up front but need more skill. Winnipeg needs D and even if it's 1 year rental, it's to see if he's a fit and then try to sign him.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Not a rumor but a suggestion by Eric Duhatschek but would you guys do Jack Roslovic for Ryan Murray(20% retained)? He said Columbus has enough grit up front but need more skill. Winnipeg needs D and even if it's 1 year rental, it's to see if he's a fit and then try to sign him.

I think it’s be great to have Ros here, but he’d have to become what was hoped instead of what he is for him to add to the skill up front for the Jackets. Murray, despite being a regular on IR, is more valuable.

Edit: lol, or what CBJW posted.

Last edited:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
In my eyes Roslovic is a 3rd line guy and not a top tier one at that. Adding another bottom 6 player Isn’t that appealing as we have enough of them now - it’s just that some of them are currently playing top 6 roles.

Reactions: rotsbu

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I say the value is about right, but I'm skeptical of the fit. The Jets gave Roslovic a long look at 2C this year and he didn't elevate his game to fit the job. And we're not short on 3C's.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I would do it in a heart beat. Murray is going to struggle to stay healthy and in the lineup until the time comes where a team won't take chances on him any more or he finally decides to hang it up. I can't see Winnipeg doing it unless they completely ignore medical history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad