Speculation: 20/21 Season Roster Talk @ Line Combos

Status
Not open for further replies.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
That’s one way to look at it. We would have paid a first round draft pick. Now let’s compare that to where we are now. We’re talking about Possibly bundling a first round pick with additional players to acquire a potential 1C or 2C Who may be no better than Duchene.....I’m not saying Duchene is the greatest, but would I trade now for Duchene for the cost of a first round pick? You bet.
Duchene has one of the worst contracts in the league...pass

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Killorn is 100% gone. But I haven't heard any reason to think TJ is waiving, or anyone else is waiving.

I just tried out the Lightning puzzle on CapFriendly's Armchair GM feature, and if

1) no one waives their NTC

2) they sign Sergachev (I've heard he's a higher priority than Cirelli)

3) and assuming that Vasi and Point are untouchable

then there is absolutely no way to keep Cirelli. I let Cernak go and filled out the team with minimum salary players, took nothing back for Killorn, re-signed Sergachev at $4m, and still ended up with nothing left for Cirelli.

But I think if they don't get NTCs to waive, they'll know it's impossible to keep him, and just trade Cirelli for ELC players who can help the roster now. I don't see them waiting until offer sheets because they can't wait on draft picks. They'll try and get some team to cough up a Texier type guy (I probably wouldn't trade Tex but definitely Bemstrom or Foudy.)

I've just read that Sergachev's agent is asking for a whole lot. If he isn't giving Tampa their customary discount then they might have to move him.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I've just read that Sergachev's agent is asking for a whole lot. If he isn't giving Tampa their customary discount then they might have to move him.

I get the theory but all leverage is with TB. I 'm pretty sure they'll keep him.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
With that contract, they ought to be paying us to take him.

No way we pay anything significant to take Duchene.

That's the way I look at it too. Nashville needs $$$/Cap relief. I see his contract as a negative, especially thinking about a 2020-21 season with likely limited fans again.
I would see it as more of a Panarin type trade that we give them a less expensive piece back, or a mid-level (3rd-4th round) pick or prospect.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I get the theory but all leverage is with TB. I 'm pretty sure they'll keep him.

If Sergachev wants to get paid more he can just wait until the offer sheets come in. We had several attempted offer sheets last summer (and one signing in Aho) so I think the taboo has broken down officially, and in this case Tampa very clearly can't match a $6.5m offer (the highest for a 1st+3rd compensation). I'd be excited to see Sergachev move on, though it would probably mean Cirelli will be unavailable.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That's the way I look at it too. Nashville needs $$$/Cap relief. I see his contract as a negative, especially thinking about a 2020-21 season with likely limited fans again.
I would see it as more of a Panarin type trade that we give them a less expensive piece back, or a mid-level (3rd-4th round) pick or prospect.

I could see it more like we send them in return another big contract on an underwhelming player. Nyquist for Duchene.

Then again, Nyquists contract would be up in three years and we'd have to pay Duchene $8m per for three years after that, into his mid thirties. I'm not sure I'd accept that.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If Sergachev wants to get paid more he can just wait until the offer sheets come in. We had several attempted offer sheets last summer (and one signing in Aho) so I think the taboo has broken down officially, and in this case Tampa very clearly can't match a $6.5m offer (the highest for a 1st+3rd compensation). I'd be excited to see Sergachev move on, though it would probably mean Cirelli will be unavailable.

Oops. Forgot the offer sheet aspect. TB is in cap hell for sure.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Jarmo probably just doing his job by looking at all situations to improve the team but Portzline said he just said he isn't ruling out offer sheets but also said you have to be very careful. Maybe he wants to get all his Rfa's done so teams can't be like, well he did it so we can do it to Columbus or as he said earlier, he wants to see how much money they have after the contracts so maybe he wants to see if he has enough for an offer sheet. If the rumor last year was true about Marner, things could get interesting. Go after Barzal. Weaken a divisional rival (although the picks/players drafted in the future could one day help NY but can't think about the future) and Barzal would solve their number 2 center problem. Although between Barzal and Dubois, who is 1 and 2 and would 2 be upset for not being the number 1 center?

With teams possibly having an internal cap, would be interesting if one of those teams are the ones who gets hit with an offer sheet. Will they be able to match it? If they do, do they have to trade away their other players just to reach their team cap? Is it worth it to trade away others, just to keep 1 player? Then have to look for players to replace the players traded away?

Think he also said expects more trades to happen after the draft. I would have thought more trades before the draft so teams could acquire this years picks.

Last edited:

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH
While Cirelli would be good here, he's going to be more expensive to acquire. I would love to see Killorn here, he seems tailor made to this club. Plays in all situations, hits, blocks shots, a Torts type of player. Tell him he can ride his jet ski up and down the Scioto.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Well it does look like there are numerous ways Jarmo could go. He could even add a couple of pieces like Laine and Killorn or Cirelli. I would give up Benstrum or Foudy in almost all of these trade scenarios.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Friedman said.....
1)mentioned this in the Anderson thread but they wanted long term but Columbus didn't. Trying to figure out what kind of contract they can agree to.

2)had talks with Calgary. Assuming about the goalies but talk stopped.

3)in on Laine but feel the ask will be Werenski and Columbus will say no.

4)proceeded to say Murray is out there and thinks Florida would be interested.

5)Columbus, really interesting team to watch, he just doesn't know where there's a match so far.

Mostly old news but interesting that he feels Florida would be interested in Murray. Any realistic things Florida has that we would want?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
While Cirelli would be good here, he's going to be more expensive to acquire. I would love to see Killorn here, he seems tailor made to this club. Plays in all situations, hits, blocks shots, a Torts type of player. Tell him he can ride his jet ski up and down the Scioto.

Well it does look like there are numerous ways Jarmo could go. He could even add a couple of pieces like Laine and Killorn or Cirelli. I would give up Benstrum or Foudy in almost all of these trade scenarios.

One of those is not like the others. Killorn fits the Blue Jackets in the sense that he'd be redundant here, he's like Boone Jenner, a bit better with the puck but just as slow. He's already a slow player and he's in his 30s, I could see him being a 35 pt guy if he was in Columbus. Not sure I'd take his $4.5m x 3 for free.

Friedman said.....
1)mentioned this in the Anderson thread but they wanted long term but Columbus didn't. Trying to figure out what kind of contract they can agree to.

2)had talks with Calgary. Assuming about the goalies but talk stopped.

3)in on Laine but feel the ask will be Werenski and Columbus will say no.

4)proceeded to say Murray is out there and thinks Florida would be interested.

5)Columbus, really interesting team to watch, he just doesn't know where there's a match so far.

Mostly old news but interesting that he feels Florida would be interested in Murray. Any realistic things Florida has that we would want?

Friedman seems to know "who is talking" but can't say what they're talking about. Like he got records from the phone company or something. Just putting two and two together - Lavoie says Gaudreau will be traded, almost like a deal is done, so I'm wondering if that might have been the subject of the conversation with Jarmo.

Florida just shipped out another D in Josh Brown, so I do think they're looking at D and Zito might want Murray. Two of the Panthers top wingers are heading to the UFA market though, so it's hard to say what they would actually send to Columbus. I think with Murray a complex package of conditional 2nds and 3rds would make the most sense, they can reward us well if he actually plays a lot of games for them. Zito is too smart to pay more than that for Murray.

I wouldn't rule out Gavrikov being the guy Zito is targeting. He's one of Bob's best friends, and can handle a lot of shutdown minutes. They don't have anyone shutdown caliber like him. Some Panthers fans would move pick #12 for Gavrikov, which is great value and worthy of some consideration if that pick does happen to be on the table and Jarmo can get his guy at that draft slot.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Trade with Florida? There is 2 players in that dumpsterfire. Barkov and Huberdeau.

I would love to take either of them but again price will be huge. PLD and Barkov as 1C and 2C oooh.

Lets still play a game.

Murray + Bem + 1st + prospect for Barkov

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Trade with Florida? There is 2 players in that dumpsterfire. Barkov and Huberdeau.

I would love to take either of them but again price will be huge. PLD and Barkov as 1C and 2C oooh.

Lets still play a game.

Murray + Bem + 1st + prospect for Barkov

Barkov would cost Werenski+, minimum.

(They'd ask for Jones, but we're not doing that.)

Huberdeau is on a great contract with term, and I doubt theres much appetite to move him.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018

Huberdeau is on a great contract with term, and I doubt theres much appetite to move him.

Yep i know Barkov costs more but i would not trade Z,J,PLD if return isnt McDavid, McKinnon level

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Huberdeau is the guy that Panthers fans keep mentioning is maybe not going to stay long term with them. They've heard better things about Barkov and Ekblad's willingness to stick long term, and absent anything encouraging from Huberdeau they want to move him for a long term asset or assets sometime in the next year or so.

Reactions: Fro

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Killorn is like Nick Foligno. We don’t need two (I’m not sure we even need one at this point)

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I don’t hate the idea on paper. But I’m not sure that I see Jarmo addressing the top 6 forward hole via free agency so I’m not sure I’d go after the rights to anyone for negotiating time for a few days, especially if they’re just planning on heading to market.

I kind of echo the sentiment that Huberdeau and Barkov would be the only two targets I would be going after, and Barkov isn’t going anywhere.

I’m open to the idea of sending them players for picks though.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Wonder if something could be done around Murray for Borgstrom, that could make moving Foudy/Texier in a package for Laine/Gaudreau more appetizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad