Speculation: 20/21 Season Roster Talk @ Line Combos

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think it was second half of the season though, he just could not score in the first half. I do think Avs fans still liked his effort.

He was so good at pushing play forward though, worth his salary before he scores a goal.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I see him as in between the Gagner/Duclair tier and the Beerman/Lilja tier...I think he'll be apart of the big squad with no AHL time, but I don't see him putting up a ton of points. He needs to earn Torts trust to get more ice time and maybe a longer leash to try to be creative.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Portzline did his Columbus target predictions for wingers but was basically names thrown around on here already.

Trades
Laine- Lebrun said today the Jackets expressed interest to the Jets. Apparently there were whispers coming out the last few days. I had no idea. He said Jets need defense. Suggested Savard but also said would also need 2 or 3 more pieces whether it's players, prospects, or picks.

Ehlers
Gaudreau
Puljujarvi
Killorn

Free agents
Hoffman
Dadonov
Hall
Toffoli

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Best base scenario: Dadonov
Worst case scenario: Nichushkin
Florida fan (checking in to see if we can steal a D ;)), but I would not want Dady if I'm CBJ: his numbers are not so great away from Huberdeau and Barkov. He goes from ~2.5pp/60 min to 1.75pp/60 min. Good player but I got to think if he isn't on Florida, he's going to be paid as if he can produce on his own :)

Also are there are any D's we could take off your hand? ;)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Florida fan (checking in to see if we can steal a D ;)), but I would not want Dady if I'm CBJ: his numbers are not so great away from Huberdeau and Barkov. He goes from ~2.5pp/60 min to 1.75pp/60 min. Good player but I got to think if he isn't on Florida, he's going to be paid as if he can produce on his own :)

Also are there are any D's we could take off your hand? ;)

You still basically need a leftside shutdown guy you can pair with Ekblad?

Sounds like Gavrikov. He also happens to be close friends with Bob.

He'd be costly. I could tell you about more affordable guys: Murray, Kukan, Nuti, but they can't really do that job.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
You still basically need a leftside shutdown guy you can pair with Ekblad?

Sounds like Gavrikov. He also happens to be close friends with Bob.

He'd be costly. I could tell you about more affordable guys: Murray, Kukan, Nuti, but they can't really do that job.
Anyone that could play say top 4 defensively is appreciated. We have our guy to play next to Ekblad in Weegar, really we need someone to play shutdown with Stralman, so we can drop Stillman next to Yandle.

What would be the Gavrikov cost? Would you want futures? I could Florida paying a premium to make Bob feel more comfortable...which I why I'm targetting CBJ.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What would be the Gavrikov cost? Would you want futures? I could Florida paying a premium to make Bob feel more comfortable...which I why I'm targetting CBJ.

I personally would do it for the 13th pick if my guy is there on draft day. But you'll also find plenty of Jackets fans that aren't willing to take futures. We have loads of young players. A lot of quantity. I'm not sure what else Florida can spare, the lineup looks to be thinner at the moment.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I personally would do it for the 13th pick if my guy is there on draft day. But you'll also find plenty of Jackets fans that aren't willing to take futures. We have loads of young players. A lot of quantity. I'm not sure what else Florida can spare, the lineup looks to be thinner at the moment.
Yep. That was my worry: last season I could have seen a swap. I guess we would do like the 12th+Connolly or something, but I agree there's a problem here. Maybe a three way works.

On the note of your team, I'd target Hoffman if you're going big: he can drive a line with offense and is a killer point shot for the PP.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I’m all in for a Wennberg buyout. It’s possible he will go somewhere else and be ok; but I don’t see Columbus as where he will change his fortunes.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Center is a massive need now, more than ever.

Assuming the Wennberg buyout happens, yeah, and while I love Texier, I am not ready for the answer at C to be "move Tex to C full-time". I'd be OK with, say, adding Cirelli (or if you're a budget move, T Johnson) type who's a time-share at C to play with Tex, but that also assumes that that player is a good fit with him. The other alternatives would be to play Tex with Foudy and hope one of them gets it done or (and no one's gonna like this) but play him with Foligno who has done some centering in the past and had some success with Tex in the 2019 Tampa series.

tl;dr - agree with CBJW that we need a center

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Assuming the Wennberg buyout happens, yeah, and while I love Texier, I am not ready for the answer at C to be "move Tex to C full-time". I'd be OK with, say, adding Cirelli (or if you're a budget move, T Johnson) type who's a time-share at C to play with Tex, but that also assumes that that player is a good fit with him. The other alternatives would be to play Tex with Foudy and hope one of them gets it done or (and no one's gonna like this) but play him with Foligno who has done some centering in the past and had some success with Tex in the 2019 Tampa series.

tl;dr - agree with CBJW that we need a center

I'd be comfortable with Foligno playing sherpa in a Texier center transition. I don't think we'd get better results paying Tyler Johnson to do it. He strikes me as even more of a wing these days, same with a lot of supposed center fixes.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think they bite the bullet and buy out Wennberg before the window closes, though I wouldn't rule out a last minute trade with retention. You don't want that 900k hit dragging the team in years 4-6. I think Wennberg would be more valuable to some clubs other than the Jackets that need a defensive 3C. Not $4.9m valuable in any case.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'd be comfortable with Foligno playing sherpa in a Texier center transition. I don't think we'd get better results paying Tyler Johnson to do it. He strikes me as even more of a wing these days, same with a lot of supposed center fixes.

I suppose Grigs could be viewed the same way, despite his recent play being at wing.

And I get what you're saying about Foligno - I would be OK swith that scenario too, just acknowledging that many won't because it means the captain is in the top six (nominally).

I know I keep bringing up TJ, and I'm going to end up sounding like some superfan or his agent or that I think he'd be a great add or some kind of answer... or I'll come across as advocating that any add is better than no add... but I don't see bringing him in as an either-or with Foligno at center-wing. I'm just saying it's possible both/all three players could be better. Also, I'm mostly using TJ as an example of a kind of player that could be beneficial, although I think he is that kind of player.

He wouldn't have to be better than Foligno to be a benefit to the lineup. It depends on what else happens.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
If we’re looking for in-house solutions as our answer, we’re looking at a bubble team as the result.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I suppose Grigs could be viewed the same way, despite his recent play being at wing.

And I get what you're saying about Foligno - I would be OK swith that scenario too, just acknowledging that many won't because it means the captain is in the top six (nominally).

Yeah that's hilarious. Foligno is a beast, just got on a good number of Selke ballots, produces at the same 5v5 rate as Stastny and many other "upgrades", was just leading all NHL forwards in ice time until our playoff exit, and will surely be among our top 5 forwards in ice time next year no matter who we acquire.

I'll take care to keep writing his line in the third row though so the haters won't get mad. :laugh:

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Is Wenny really worth buyout? No one wants him for anything? Btw i love this thread coming alive

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Because of his webbed feet, I would acknowledge that Daffy Duck probably could not keep up with Wennberg on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad