GDT: “Whatever It Takes” (McDavid Injury Documentary) • Friday January 24 • After the Skills Comp • SNET

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Struds and Rishaug talking about Connor's knee issue on 1260 now. They said he was close to missing the entire 2019/20 season if he chose surgery and that it would significantly have affected the way his knee worked and howw he would skate. He went to seek 3 other options and chose rehab over surgery. FU** Giordano!!

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Total pipe dream here...but I hope against hope that this news serves as a wake-up call to the NHL, and that Connor starts getting the protection that he deserves. (And that Calgary starts getting picked on more by the rest of the league.)

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Oh man, i just hope there's not many issues with the choice he made with rehab or how much more prone to reinjury he might be. My guess with the surgery and why it would have affected his skating might be because of the loss of the rotational and medial/lateral flexibilty and ability of that injured knee.

Hockey players coil and rotate a lot to generate speed. There's a lot of counter forces with the upper body rotating against the hips rotating and there's some knee rotation and valgus force at the knee to "spring" and "coil" for explosive speed as the blade pushes off hard laterally. That surgery would have significantly affected his explosiveness, speed and agility.

Last edited:

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
I hate Gio even more now. I now he wasn't trying to harm him obviously, but what a reckless player

Reactions: ujju2

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
I also do not know what the organization gets out of airing all of this and even making that documentary. I don't think it makes them look positive. Not saying negative, but kind of weird.

Like, what is the point in pushing this all out there so much. Why not just continue the season and just shut up about it.

Reactions: Aerchon

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
I also do not know what the organization gets out of airing all of this and even making that documentary. I don't think it makes them look positive. Not saying negative, but kind of weird.

Like, what is the point in pushing this all out there so much. Why not just continue the season and just shut up about it.
I'm thinking that he has fully or near fully recovered and it's like a "McDavid is a demi god" kinda thing. Otherwise I wouldn't see the point either

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
****ing run Knee-o. Run him.
giphy.gif

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Just proof that Rishag is the ultimate hack. Where was this story all summer? Instead of ranting about some 4th liner hes mad at and worshipping Mike Smith, actual reporting maybe Ryan?

In all fairness this is a story as a team that you just dont get out.

We were in on some decent free agent talks this year, and signed some cheap quality depth guys. Neal wanted to come here for McDavid.

None of this happens if a rumour slips that he might not play. Imagine what it would do to the already hurting ticket sales?

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
I still can't believe he would have missed the whole year and it was that serious. What a bummer this season would have been.

Maybe the Oilers think releasing this kind of stuff could help Connor in terms of how the league and refs view him.... Only thing I can think of.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
According to this tweet , his PCL healed?
Sounds like it. I am sure there will be more information once we get to see the whole documentary on Friday night.

A quick Google search seems to say it is possible for it to heal itself, it just takes much longer due to poor blood flow in that area and requires intense rehabilitation for stabilization, strength, etc.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
According to this tweet , his PCL healed?

Heal is such a subjective term for injuries. How has it healed? Is there a lot of rigid scar tissue? Is it and will it be as strong as before or is he very prone to reinjure it? Does it affect the alignment of other structures in his knee and the strength of those structures (ACL, MCL, PCL, meniscus etc)? Will it be very prone to swelling through a season and cause issues? All these things makes me so mad at Giordano in a nothing game making a stupid dangerous play like that.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Also, I know there are still conspiracy theorists out there, but I don't see much the Oilers did wrong.

Connor doesn't like talking at the best of times, there's no way he wanted his detailed medical history known. If anything, it shows the Oilers don't have too many leaks if they don't want something out.

They got lots of opinions and in the end Connor is the only one that gets to decide which route he wants to take.

The kids works his ass off that's for sure.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Lets be honest here, is there anyone outside of Edmonton who thinks what Gio did was dirty? I don't think I have ever seen it called that except by some people here.

I'm not even calling it dirty. It may have been intentional but we would never know.

What everyone should know is that it was a dumb and unessasary play in a meaningless game.

Giordano went full stupid on that play and that's the nicest way to look at it.

hitman9172

Sep 30, 2006
Sounds like it. I am sure there will be more information once we get to see the whole documentary on Friday night.

A quick Google search seems to say it is possible for it to heal itself, it just takes much longer due to poor blood flow in that area and requires intense rehabilitation for stabilization, strength, etc.

A torn PCL will only heal if it's a partial tear, although not fully. Doctors have told me that the increased blood flow to the PCL can cause a grade 2 tear (severe partial tear) to heal to a grade 1 status (minor tear, but a feeling of "looseness" in the ligament). A grade 3 tear (full tear) will not heal in the sense that the PCL will never re-attach on its own without surgery. Surgery typically involves taking ligament tissue from your own body (e.g., the thigh) or from a cadaver donor, removing your previous PCL, and inserting the new PCL ligament into the back of your knee. Recovery requires 9-12 months of intensive rehab before returning to sports, and even then surgery only typically takes you one grade up (i.e., PCL surgery takes you from the stability associated with a grade 3 full tear to a grade 2 partial tear).

In my layman's opinion (based on what I've learned in conversations with my doctor and surgeons), the fact that McDavid has a full PCL tear, combined with other damage to the knee, and the high stress he puts on his knee by being a professional athlete, means it's likely (although not guaranteed) that he'll probably have some pretty significant knee issues down the road.

Reactions: Mc5RingsAndABeer

hitman9172

Sep 30, 2006
This is just a laymans view but an experienced one nonetheless. I had extensive knee damage in my left knee in a hockey game age 18. ACL damage, cartilage, meniscus damage. Then totaled my other knee in a work related accident 5yrs later, again similar injuries but this time with PCL damage. I was 23 and both knees were ****ed. Given that I had extensive injuries in both knees (rehabbed both as much as I could and its a lifelong process) it was estimated by Orthopaedic surgeons that I would require knee replacements , both knees, by age 40.

Sorry to hear, but looks like you've managed the injury very well. How bad were the ACL and PCL tears (i.e., partial or full tears)? Have your doctors given you any indication that you might need a knee replacement in the future?

Mentally, it's super tough for me to give up hockey, basketball, and running. Fitness is a big part of my life and those are my 3 primary forms of cardio.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Just proof that Rishag is the ultimate hack. Where was this story all summer? Instead of ranting about some 4th liner hes mad at and worshipping Mike Smith, actual reporting maybe Ryan?

And how does he get the information when both team and player have a strict blackout on this info getting out? And if Rishaug is a hack I guess that goes for every other sports reporter in Edmonton and for that matter the rest of Canada. SMH.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
A torn PCL will only heal if it's a partial tear, although not fully. Doctors have told me that the increased blood flow to the PCL can cause a grade 2 tear (severe partial tear) to heal to a grade 1 status (minor tear, but a feeling of "looseness" in the ligament). A grade 3 tear (full tear) will not heal in the sense that the PCL will never re-attach on its own without surgery. Surgery typically involves taking ligament tissue from your own body (e.g., the thigh) or from a cadaver donor, removing your previous PCL, and inserting the new PCL ligament into the back of your knee. Recovery requires 9-12 months of intensive rehab before returning to sports, and even then surgery only typically takes you one grade up (i.e., PCL surgery takes you from the stability associated with a grade 3 full tear to a grade 2 partial tear).

In my layman's opinion (based on what I've learned in conversations with my doctor and surgeons), the fact that McDavid has a full PCL tear, combined with other damage to the knee, and the high stress he puts on his knee by being a professional athlete, means it's likely (although not guaranteed) that he'll probably have some pretty significant knee issues down the road.
Well, will be interesting to hear more about how bad it actually was. If they were discussing grafts, I'd assume it was grade 3 obviously.

Is there such thing as a really bad grade 2? Ha. Where like the entire thing is torn but barely hanging on and could be rehabbed? Seems unlikely this is what the scenario was though if they were discussing such surgeries.

Can't wait to watch more! He inspires me to get off my ass.

hitman9172

Sep 30, 2006
Well, will be interesting to hear more about how bad it actually was. If they were discussing grafts, I'd assume it was grade 3 obviously.

Is there such thing as a really bad grade 2? Ha. Where like the entire thing is torn but barely hanging on and could be rehabbed? Seems unlikely this is what the scenario was though if they were discussing such surgeries.

Can't wait to watch more! He inspires me to get off my ass.

Yup, a very bad grade 2 is possible, where the ligament is barely hanging on, but should re-attach itself to a certain extent over time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad