GDT: “Whatever It Takes” (McDavid Injury Documentary) • Friday January 24 • After the Skills Comp • SNET

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I wonder how he didn't have surgery with a fully torn PCL. Not that I'm a doctor or anything, but when I grade 3 tore mine as well, they surgically repaired it right away.

What a tough ****ing kid man. Imagine the rehab from that. Nobody is like Connor. He's obsessed with being the best.

I'm curious if they will go into how they avoided surgery. Like, does the ligament just heal back on its own? Does he have a torn ligament forever and he just gets used to it somehow? Sorry, for likely stupid questions, but this is baffling to me, lol.

Reactions: ujju2 and RattsSSV

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
So is he going to play the rest of his career without a PCL in his left knee? Doesn't seem all that wise? But what do I know.

I think it’s the least important knee ligament for a hockey player, thankfully. It might even allow him to go faster lol.

But surely to god he still needs to have a functioning PCL? Or is that just wrong? Will McDavid have any long-term effects if there is damage that didn't heal properly. Man, I have SO many questions, lol.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
But surely to god he still needs to have a functioning PCL? Or is that just wrong? Will McDavid have any long-term effects if there is damage that didn't heal properly. Man, I have SO many questions, lol.

Is it possible he's wearing some kind of brace now? I would think that's enough to replace the stabilizing force that the PCL provides. Of course you would expect a brace to slow him down a bit though...

Guess we will find out this weekend :) Maybe...

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I'm curious if they will go into how they avoided surgery. Like, does the ligament just heal back on its own? Does he have a torn ligament forever and he just gets used to it somehow? Sorry, for likely stupid questions, but this is baffling to me, lol.

PCL and ACL can’t regrow due to lot it’s blood flow in that area of the knee. The MCL and LCL can regrow.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
PCL and ACL can’t regrow due to lot it’s blood flow in that area of the knee. The MCL and LCL can regrow.

My understanding is that a PCL without any tears/severe injuries in additional ligaments can be rehabbed. We won't really know the extent (I'm assuming Grade 3) and specifics of the injury. The fact that they had so many opinions on it probably means it was pretty severe but there were potential options.

If his other ligaments in the area are solid he should be fine... I am concerned that a similarly directed blow to his knee could cause him to destroy and damage the other ligaments in that knee that are probably doing more work than they are designed to. That could be career ending.

Reactions: Mc5RingsAndABeer

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
He did a lot of wincing at the beginning of the season, as well as being a bit timid. On top of what sounds like one of the most intensive rehabs in human history, he had the commitment and the balls to come back for the beginning of the season. What a warrior.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Hope that the people who like to talk shit about McDavid not being a leader read some of this and what he went through for rehab.

He might not be the biggest rah-rah guy in the world but his work ethic is f***in contagious and is exactly the type of leader I’d want to have as my captain.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
It's tough watching the severity of McDavid's injury now being revealed, and the infuriating part is that it occurs because Giordano panics when he gets beat wide in a nothing game. I agree with Koivu:

Then a handful of games into this season Giordano recklessly takes down Radulov:

Reactions: ujju2 and RattsSSV

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Waiting to see the documentary about his house as well.... That's what the mains thread turned into

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

So he just doesn't have a PCL anymore? Really?? Would surgery have allowed it to repair eventually? Doesn't that seem like the better decision long term if that is correct? Missing 1 year seems a lot better than not having a ligament FOREVER. Maybe not though, I'm certainly no doctor, it just sounds very strange as an option to purposefully choose.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
You were right all along to be stressed about this....:ha:

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Yea, they said otherwise. He didn't get it surgically repaired.
Wow. Nonoperative Treatment of PCL Injuries: Goals of Rehabilitation and the Natural History of Conservative Care

This sounds f***ed.

"Although good subjective outcomes and high rate of return to sport have been reported after nonoperative treatment of isolated PCL injuries, the resultant aberrant knee kinematics and loads often leads to arthrosis of the medial and patellofemoral compartments. The ideal management of PCL injuries remains uncertain and controversial. More research is needed on the optimal rehabilitations strategies in order to reliably improve outcomes after nonoperative treatment."

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Wow. Nonoperative Treatment of PCL Injuries: Goals of Rehabilitation and the Natural History of Conservative Care

This sounds ****ed.

"Although good subjective outcomes and high rate of return to sport have been reported after nonoperative treatment of isolated PCL injuries, the resultant aberrant knee kinematics and loads often leads to arthrosis of the medial and patellofemoral compartments. The ideal management of PCL injuries remains uncertain and controversial. More research is needed on the optimal rehabilitations strategies in order to reliably improve outcomes after nonoperative treatment."
Geez...this makes one queasy - hope they chose correctly. I don't know if any of the choices are ideal though on something like this.

I had a torn ligament in one of my knees when I was a kid and I never even bothered to find out which ligament it was. Obviously I never rehabbed or anything like this, because what's rehab when your 12, but still can't bend properly sitting on knees because of it. I an honestly feel it, just reading this...:(

duul

Jun 21, 2010

This sounds ****ed.

Yea, PCL's are weird since they are rare. I had mine remade through a cadaver, but from what I was told and researched on my own, they don't always go as planned and the recovery is very long for it to solidify.

Anyway, he had so many choices...but, I will mention that he had less than 24 hours to make his decision after the MRI. So like, 1-2 days after the injury, he was making what is essentially the decision of his life if we want to be a bit dramatic. Surgery or no surgery.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

This sounds ****ed.

So does this mean that he could still have complications arise in the future because they didn't choose surgery?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
It's tough watching the severity of McDavid's injury now being revealed, and the infuriating part is that it occurs because Giordano panics when he gets beat wide in a nothing game. I agree with Koivu:

Then a handful of games into this season Giordano recklessly takes down Radulov:

Giordano takes out Fowler with knee-on-knee hit - Sportsnet.ca

Fowler, Koivu, and McDavid in a two-year span.

Received a maximum fine ($10,000) for a slew foot in 2013. Yanked on Gagner's jaw protector in a scrum in 2013-14 and then did it again to Burrows a month or two later. The slew foot above on Radulov. Multiple other incidents that weren't penalized or dealt with by player safety.

He's a giant piece of shit.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino