GDT: “Whatever It Takes” (McDavid Injury Documentary) • Friday January 24 • After the Skills Comp • SNET

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I also do not know what the organization gets out of airing all of this and even making that documentary. I don't think it makes them look positive. Not saying negative, but kind of weird.

Like, what is the point in pushing this all out there so much. Why not just continue the season and just shut up about it.

I'm guessing a boatload of money from Adidas.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Not only did it heal. It evolved into a bio-metal material that is indestructible. This is McDavid, This is the way.

Fk69QjI.gif

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I also do not know what the organization gets out of airing all of this and even making that documentary. I don't think it makes them look positive. Not saying negative, but kind of weird.

Like, what is the point in pushing this all out there so much. Why not just continue the season and just shut up about it.
Are the Oilers behind the documentary though? At the beginning of the trailer Nine 7 Productions, Wasserman Hockey, Gruvpix Pictures, and Don Metz Films are listed.

Nine 7 is McDavid-related I'm guessing, Wasserman is involved with Orr Hockey Group (McDavid's agency), Gruvpix is based in Edmonton, and Don Metz left the Oilers last summer.

Reactions: Mc5RingsAndABeer

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
The main boards are so upset he didnt get surgery, he didnt miss the whole season, they missed out on making fun of an Oiler's misfortune, and that he didnt screw up his stride.

No one is ever really gonna know if this or the surgery is the right decision. Hopefully he makes it to 40 playing hockey without complications, but at this rate of guys purposely trying to injure him, he'll have a lot of other scars by then.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
And how does he get the information when both team and player have a strict blackout on this info getting out? And if Rishaug is a hack I guess that goes for every other sports reporter in Edmonton and for that matter the rest of Canada. SMH.

Rishag's job is literally a liason with sportsnet. Hes an awful reporter. The worst of the worst.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I don't think he's the worst either for what little my opinion counts for.

I think Matheson owns that title right now.

Is it just me or does Matheson seem to get under Tippett's skin with his lineup questions and suggestions? Tippett went so far as asking Matty if he wanted to coach the team a while back.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
So I was just watching a Rishaug video on TSN (its the 2nd video down in the NHL section right now), and Rishaug, at the 1:00 minute mark he clearly says "McDavid actually had a lot of success without surgery, that PCL did in fact heal itself Rod, and the results are showing this year". Soooo..... is Rishaug just relaying wrong information and his PCL is still unattached and torn, or did it actually heal and he has an in-tact PCL?

The docs in this thread are saying that it CAN'T heal on its own, without surgery, so either:

A) It wasn't fully torn, and it healed (Rishaug being correct, and the reports of his PCL being fully torn are not correct)
B) It was fully torn, and it didn't heal (Rishaug being wrong, and the docs on this thread being right)
C) It was fully torn, and it did heal somehow (Rishaug right, and the docs on this thread being wrong)

I'm very confused.

Last edited:

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
And how does he get the information when both team and player have a strict blackout on this info getting out? And if Rishaug is a hack I guess that goes for every other sports reporter in Edmonton and for that matter the rest of Canada. SMH.
Most of Edmonton's sports reporters are hacks lol.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
So I was just watching a Rishaug video on TSN (its the 2nd video down in the NHL section right now), and Rishaug, at the 1:00 minute mark he clearly says "McDavid actually had a lot of success without surgery, that PCL did in fact heal itself Rod, and the results are showing this year". Soooo..... is Rishaug just relaying wrong information and his PCL is still unattached and torn, or did it actually heal and he has an in-tact PCL?

The docs in this thread are saying that it CAN'T heal on its own, without surgery, so either:

A) It wasn't fully torn, and it healed (Rishaug being correct, and the reports of his PCL being fully torn are not correct)
B) It was fully torn, and it didn't heal (Rishaug being wrong, and the docs on this thread being right)
C) It was fully torn, and it did heal somehow (Rishaug right, and the docs on this thread being wrong)

I'm very confused.
Sounds like we may not know until the full documentary airs on Friday.

Seems like the insiders and beat writers only know what McDavid's camp is willing to tell them.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Sounds like we may not know until the full documentary airs on Friday.

Seems like the insiders and beat writers only know what McDavid's camp is willing to tell them.

So I'm listening to the Jason Gregor show hour 1 on tsn.ca right now as well, and Rishaug again clearly mentions (15:30 if you want to hear): "I'm told that the PCL did heal itself". So if Rishaug is wrong, it's because he was told wrong information. He isn't going to misspeak like that twice in 2 different interviews.

I'm starting to wonder if the "full tear" we were hearing about wasn't correct, and maybe it was a bad partial tear.

Reactions: ujju2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Sorry to hear, but looks like you've managed the injury very well. How bad were the ACL and PCL tears (i.e., partial or full tears)? Have your doctors given you any indication that you might need a knee replacement in the future?

Mentally, it's super tough for me to give up hockey, basketball, and running. Fitness is a big part of my life and those are my 3 primary forms of cardio.

The professional opinions tend to be when, not if, I need knee replacements. Usually if I get an X ray of scan done of the knees they tend to wonder how I even walked in. But I'm determined to prove anybody wrong and they're also fine with that. Most of the Doctors I've seen admire what I've been able to do. When I got WCB partial disability I told them I had two inches laxity in one leg. I said just pull on it, you'll see. The WCB doctor turned pale, told me to get dressed and said he's signing anything no questions asked. He couldn't believe it. Since then I've really tightened up the knees but it took years and I worked up to doing stuff like 250lb leg lift sets. I obviously gradually worked up to that but I can do 300, and surprise a lot of people in the gym when they here of my knee condition. I actually had to back off of the high weight leg lifts not due to harming my knee, but getting quasi compartmental syndrome in my thighs. (Norm Lacombe, ex-oiler, had the same problem)

Diagnoses weren't as precise when I had my knee injuries. They wouldn't even quote degrees of injury. It was partial tear or detached diagnoses back then. I believe the PCL is detached in one knee but I've made progress in the ACL and MCL apparently in both knees.

I can't tell you enough that if you have knee problems already while young its only going to get worse, not better, if you choose the wrong activity. For me I didn't really love basketball anyway so easy to give it up. Switched out to Tennis. As far as running I've found hiking (I love uphill grinds like Grouse Mountain) is really good. Cycling is really good for a lot of knee conditions, snow shoeing great. Really enjoyed it today out there. nice powder.

Thing is one day you could hit a crossroads where you start to realize these are the knees you got for life, and you'll want to make the best of it. I train like crazy on ellipticals in the gym, or even treadmills but instead of running I stride at a 10% up incline which is just as good a workout and trains me for my mountain hiking excursions. Its not really hard to get the same workout and buzz and find real fun things to do even with a knee injury.

Used to canoe bigtime as well. Till I got fedup lifting the damn thing up and down off the roof rack carrier. it was a heavy canoe. I drive an SUV so that's a big lift, lol.

Finally, if you do continue to push with things like running, basketball, hockey, one knee injury will inevitably become two. Its literally impossible to not start to harm both due to compensation. You'll wear both joints out if not careful. Also people run into hip problems, back problems, if they continue to run because your stride changes, and not for the good. If you can't run as anatomy intended its best not to do it at all is what I've figured out. People don't even notice how they compensate when they run. Others notice it though.

Hope you hear this as just advice. we all do what we want, but my heart goes out to anybody with these injuries and I just want to help reduce others pain and suffering. My goal is fitness for life, and that has served me reasonably well.

cheers

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
So I'm listening to the Jason Gregor show hour 1 on tsn.ca right now as well, and Rishaug again clearly mentions (15:30 if you want to hear): "I'm told that the PCL did heal itself". So if Rishaug is wrong, it's because he was told wrong information. He isn't going to misspeak like that twice in 2 different interviews.

I'm starting to wonder if the "full tear" we were hearing about wasn't correct, and maybe it was a bad partial tear.

Sure hope so. I know next to nothing about the injury (or injuries in general) but "fully healed" sounds good. :)

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
The professional opinions tend to be when, not if, I need knee replacements. Usually if I get an X ray of scan done of the knees they tend to wonder how I even walked in. But I'm determined to prove anybody wrong and they're also fine with that. Most of the Doctors I've seen admire what I've been able to do. When I got WCB partial disability I told them I had two inches laxity in one leg. I said just pull on it, you'll see. The WCB doctor turned pale, told me to get dressed and said he's signing anything no questions asked. He couldn't believe it. Since then I've really tightened up the knees but it took years and I worked up to doing stuff like 250lb leg lift sets. I obviously gradually worked up to that but I can do 300, and surprise a lot of people in the gym when they here of my knee condition. I actually had to back off of the high weight leg lifts not due to harming my knee, but getting quasi compartmental syndrome in my thighs. (Norm Lacombe, ex-oiler, had the same problem)

Diagnoses weren't as precise when I had my knee injuries. They wouldn't even quote degrees of injury. It was partial tear or detached diagnoses back then. I believe the PCL is detached in one knee but I've made progress in the ACL and MCL apparently in both knees.

I can't tell you enough that if you have knee problems already while young its only going to get worse, not better, if you choose the wrong activity. For me I didn't really love basketball anyway so easy to give it up. Switched out to Tennis. As far as running I've found hiking (I love uphill grinds like Grouse Mountain) is really good. Cycling is really good for a lot of knee conditions, snow shoeing great. Really enjoyed it today out there. nice powder.

Thing is one day you could hit a crossroads where you start to realize these are the knees you got for life, and you'll want to make the best of it. I train like crazy on ellipticals in the gym, or even treadmills but instead of running I stride at a 10% up incline which is just as good a workout and trains me for my mountain hiking excursions. Its not really hard to get the same workout and buzz and find real fun things to do even with a knee injury.

Used to canoe bigtime as well. Till I got fedup lifting the damn thing up and down off the roof rack carrier. it was a heavy canoe. I drive an SUV so that's a big lift, lol.

Finally, if you do continue to push with things like running, basketball, hockey, one knee injury will inevitably become two. Its literally impossible to not start to harm both due to compensation. You'll wear both joints out if not careful. Also people run into hip problems, back problems, if they continue to run because your stride changes, and not for the good. If you can't run as anatomy intended its best not to do it at all is what I've figured out. People don't even notice how they compensate when they run. Others notice it though.

Hope you hear this as just advice. we all do what we want, but my heart goes out to anybody with these injuries and I just want to help reduce others pain and suffering. My goal is fitness for life, and that has served me reasonably well.

cheers
Well done - 619 words! lol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Well done - 619 words! lol

After a good few hours of snowshoeing and sitting down with a nice coffee I could write volumes. As Lester Bangs used to say, I just love to write. heh. I type so fast it really doesn't take very long and I compose writing as fast as I type. I could probably parlay something like this into a pay gig...;)

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
After a good few hours of snowshoeing and sitting down with a nice coffee I could write volumes. As Lester Bangs used to say, I just love to write. heh. I type so fast it really doesn't take very long and I compose writing as fast as I type. I could probably parlay something like this into a pay gig...;)
I just finished a Stephen King book, so I was acclimated to reading your post....:sarcasm:

Reactions: TB12 and Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I just finished a Stephen King book, so I was acclimated to reading your post....:sarcasm:

He's a bit wordy too, lol. I love his ideas, the premise, sometimes more than the actual finished product. I think its why the movie adaptations do so well. His ideas are really good, while his writing can seem 5 times too long. Which must seem like a strange thing for me to be saying...heh

ps Is the book "It"?

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
He's a bit wordy too, lol. I love his ideas, the premise, sometimes more than the actual finished product. I think its why the movie adaptations do so well. His ideas are really good, while his writing can seem 5 times too long. Which must seem like a strange thing for me to be saying...heh

ps Is the book "It"?
Actually just read "The Shining" - puts the movie to absolute shame with the important details. The movie isn't even worth watching. Was going to read "Doctor Sleep" so wanted to get through that one first, being the prequel. Amazing detail - hard to imagine how he can come up with the detail as well as the background info.

Now onto "Scotty" by Ken Dryden - also good but not in the page turning way.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Actually just read "The Shining" - puts the movie to absolute shame with the important details. The movie isn't even worth watching. Was going to read "Doctor Sleep" so wanted to get through that one first, being the prequel. Amazing detail - hard to imagine how he can come up with the detail as well as the background info.

Now onto "Scotty" by Ken Dryden - also good but not in the page turning way.

Damn, I'm a huge Kubrick fan. I like the movie but its just a different beast than the book, and dated. I think it worked better in its time and the movie used a lot of effects, camera usage that were leading edge at the time. It may not be that great now, but its certainly very copied.

King must be a great researcher, but also of his own ideas and fleshing them out so well. Would be interesting to hear how he writes. Authors use a lot of different techniques. Some write their way through a story making it as they go, while others have the intricacies mapped out already on a wall and fill in the details with the writing. I suspect King is the former.

Did you read "The Game" by Dryden? Best sports book period. That said Scotty is sure getting stellar reviews.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Damn, I'm a huge Kubrick fan. I like the movie but its just a different beast than the book, and dated. I think it worked better in its time and the movie used a lot of effects, camera usage that were leading edge at the time. It may not be that great now, but its certainly very copied.

King must be a great researcher, but also of his own ideas and fleshing them out so well. Would be interesting to hear how he writes. Authors use a lot of different techniques. Some write their way through a story making it as they go, while others have the intricacies mapped out already on a wall and fill in the details with the writing. I suspect King is the former.

Did you read "The Game" by Dryden? Best sports book period. That said Scotty is sure getting stellar reviews.
Have not read that no - will have to though I think. He's a good writer.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

I'm very confused.

Will be interested to see the doc just for the sake of clarifying this point, lol. How a fully severed PCL could magically reconnect and be able to handle the same force and tension. Or maybe that video in the preview was just a first opinion before the injury was investigated further, and they found it was still together to some degree.

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
Man that is scary stuff, I can't imagine what the oilers would have done this year/future without McDavid. Nightmare situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad