GDT: “Whatever It Takes” (McDavid Injury Documentary) • Friday January 24 • After the Skills Comp • SNET

McDocram99

Jan 21, 2020
So I was just watching a Rishaug video on TSN (its the 2nd video down in the NHL section right now), and Rishaug, at the 1:00 minute mark he clearly says "McDavid actually had a lot of success without surgery, that PCL did in fact heal itself Rod, and the results are showing this year". Soooo..... is Rishaug just relaying wrong information and his PCL is still unattached and torn, or did it actually heal and he has an in-tact PCL?

The docs in this thread are saying that it CAN'T heal on its own, without surgery, so either:

A) It wasn't fully torn, and it healed (Rishaug being correct, and the reports of his PCL being fully torn are not correct)
B) It was fully torn, and it didn't heal (Rishaug being wrong, and the docs on this thread being right)
C) It was fully torn, and it did heal somehow (Rishaug right, and the docs on this thread being wrong)

I'm very confused.

Only way that ligament regenerated or healed itself is if he did stem cell therapy...plenty of people avoiding reconstructive knee surgeries and knee replacements by doing stem cell therapy, someone like McDavid who has unlimited monetary resources and hundreds of millions of dollars at stake would destroy his career by having surgery, he just would never ever be close to what he was/is. Stem cell therapy would be the first thing to try prior to going the surgery route:

Regenerative Medicine for Sports Injuries

Traditional western based doctors simply can't agree on the function of the pcl let alone how to treat and injury to it given the different schools of thought, this is why he received different opinions, probably all different protocols:

Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL) Injury and Treatments – Caring Medical

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Will be interested to see the doc just for the sake of clarifying this point, lol. How a fully severed PCL could magically reconnect and be able to handle the same force and tension. Or maybe that video in the preview was just a first opinion before the injury was investigated further, and they found it was still together to some degree.

That is kinda what I was thinking as well. Maybe the preview is just being "melodramatic", to try and cause viewership? Would be weird to put that information out though, if they knew it wasn't real. Very strange. It sure would be nice if the documentary actually answers some questions, but I'm not getting my hopes up to be honest.

Edit: I just re-watched that intro, and when they are describing the injury, it is very clearly stating that the PCL was completely severed. It's not an opinion, it is stated as fact. So how could the PCL be healed now? Makes no sense, given what the medical guys on this thread are saying.

Reactions: Mc5RingsAndABeer

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Just because you aren't a doctor doesn't mean you cant read medical studies such as those that were registered with the National Institute of Health (NIH U.S. Government) or any other public record.

For example:

Long-term results of posterior cruciate ligament tear with or without reconstruction: A nationwide, population-based cohort study

- from Oct 2018

Conclusion

In the present study, we found that patients with PCL tears have a significantly higher risk of meniscus tear, arthritis and TKR than matched peers without PCL tears. Patients who had undergone PCL reconstruction had a decreased incidence of meniscus tear, OA (Osteoarthritis) and TKR (Total Knee Replacement) surgery compared with patients who were treated conservatively. We further observed that patients who underwent reconstruction within 1 year after PCL injury experienced a significant protective effect against these poor prognoses. The results of this study can provide a baseline of expectations for the future development of meniscal injury and arthritis following PCL injury with and without PCL reconstruction.

This scares the shit out of me. I think he'll have access to things that a regular non-athlete wouldn't but there's a limit to medical science when it comes to degenerative MSK injuries.

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
This scares the **** out of me. I think he'll have access to things that a regular non-athlete wouldn't but there's a limit to medical science when it comes to degenerative MSK injuries.

Well it's not guaranteed he will experience those things, just a higher risk. And still even then, occurence (actual reinjury/surgury and not just degernative arthritis) is only a small chance.

Like the others say, it really boils down to it's his choice, and he calculated that it is worth the risk. And unless his life was at risk, no doctor could tell him otherwise.

I mean, what is life if not just a series of risk management events.. haha

Edit: Sorry I didn't realize this was the Oiler's board. Didnt mean to intrude!

Last edited:

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Well it's not guaranteed he will experience those things, just a higher risk. And still even then, occurence (actual reinjury/surgury and not just degernative arthritis) is only a small chance.

Like the others say, it really boils down to it's his choice, and he calculated that it is worth the risk. And unless his life was at risk, no doctor could tell him otherwise.

I mean, what is life if not just a series of risk management events.. haha

Edit: Sorry I didn't realize this was the Oiler's board. Didnt mean to intrude!
I just feel like the demands that McDavid will make of his knees will far exceed that over the average patient in that study, which would predispose him to OA.

And that was my fault. I liked your post on the mains so I quoted it here.

Reactions: tenken00

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
That is kinda what I was thinking as well. Maybe the preview is just being "melodramatic", to try and cause viewership? Would be weird to put that information out though, if they knew it wasn't real. Very strange. It sure would be nice if the documentary actually answers some questions, but I'm not getting my hopes up to be honest.

Edit: I just re-watched that intro, and when they are describing the injury, it is very clearly stating that the PCL was completely severed. It's not an opinion, it is stated as fact. So how could the PCL be healed now? Makes no sense, given what the medical guys on this thread are saying.

Also puzzling is it is in contrast to Rishaug's report today in which he states ''10 days after the injury, McDavid was informed a major reconstructive surgery was required''

This is in contrast to the ''24 hours'' in the preview.

Suspect there was no clear cut opinion from various medical professionals.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Only way that ligament regenerated or healed itself is if he did stem cell therapy...plenty of people avoiding reconstructive knee surgeries and knee replacements by doing stem cell therapy, someone like McDavid who has unlimited monetary resources and hundreds of millions of dollars at stake would destroy his career by having surgery, he just would never ever be close to what he was/is. Stem cell therapy would be the first thing to try prior to going the surgery route:

Regenerative Medicine for Sports Injuries

Traditional western based doctors simply can't agree on the function of the pcl let alone how to treat and injury to it given the different schools of thought, this is why he received different opinions, probably all different protocols:

Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL) Injury and Treatments – Caring Medical

Ah makes sense now.

giphy.gif

:D

Hope they do go into detail about the healing process. Could be like a medical conference for HfOil docs like me.

Reactions: McDocram99

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
At one point didn't it come out in the news that the injury wasn't as bad as people thought? Then we find out almost a year later is was actually much worse? Lol

Imagine if speedytrurtle broke that news on these boards. Would have been a crazy summer.

space321

May 11, 2011
Dangerous play in a meaningless game by a dbag who has a history of injuring other players. Giordano hid behind his "aw shucks, it was an accident" excuse once again.

Also the "he texted McDavid after the game to apologize, what a classy guy". Good f***ing lord hockey fans and media have a hard on for "classy". Nothing giordano did or has done was classy. f*** that guy.

Reactions: TB12 and frag2

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
So I was just watching a Rishaug video on TSN (its the 2nd video down in the NHL section right now), and Rishaug, at the 1:00 minute mark he clearly says "McDavid actually had a lot of success without surgery, that PCL did in fact heal itself Rod, and the results are showing this year". Soooo..... is Rishaug just relaying wrong information and his PCL is still unattached and torn, or did it actually heal and he has an in-tact PCL?

The docs in this thread are saying that it CAN'T heal on its own, without surgery, so either:

A) It wasn't fully torn, and it healed (Rishaug being correct, and the reports of his PCL being fully torn are not correct)
B) It was fully torn, and it didn't heal (Rishaug being wrong, and the docs on this thread being right)
C) It was fully torn, and it did heal somehow (Rishaug right, and the docs on this thread being wrong)

I'm very confused.
I mean technically it's possible and I've heard of cases of ACL's for example scarring back together after complete rupture. These are obviously very rare cases, and I would assume more likely in a younger individual, although admittedly I haven't looked into the research on this.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Gonna pass on this. Don't really wanna see how badly Connor was hurt. Glad he's back to normal.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Just proof that Rishag is the ultimate hack. Where was this story all summer? Instead of ranting about some 4th liner hes mad at and worshipping Mike Smith, actual reporting maybe Ryan?

You cant report what is being meticulously locked down from reporters. NOBODY had this and not for a lack of bothering McDavids camp about updates on his leg

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I mean technically it's possible and I've heard of cases of ACL's for example scarring back together after complete rupture. These are obviously very rare cases, and I would assume more likely in a younger individual, although admittedly I haven't looked into the research on this.

Hopefully some actual information is provided in the documentary, or somebody in the media can ask "do you, or do you not, have an attached and healed PCL at this moment". This seems like a ridiculously obvious thing to ask, but.....

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
You cant report what is being meticulously locked down from reporters. NOBODY had this and not for a lack of bothering McDavids camp about updates on his leg

They should have a followup documentary about the lengths Rishaug and other reporters went to last summer to try to get some hint of what exactly was happening with McDavid.

Pretty impressive how they locked this down. There would have been a heck of a lot of people involved with his rehab.

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
We need more oil change....

I think this is blown out of proportion and I’m not sure why this i getting so much media. Good on McDavid but why disclose this in the middle of a playoff run....

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I've had hundreds of needles in my neck for ligaments via prolotherapy. Not mainstream, but ligaments can be coaxed to heal in this manner.

Reactions: McDocram99

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Gonna pass on this. Don't really wanna see how badly Connor was hurt. Glad he's back to normal.

I find it interesting. Lol.

I think this is blown out of proportion and I’m not sure why this i getting so much media. Good on McDavid but why disclose this in the middle of a playoff run....

Why does it matter if it’s during a playoff run? Lol.

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

I don't think it's blown out of proportion at all. The best hockey player in the world almost had his career significantly altered, and to attempt to avoid that, he went with a very risky alternative treatment method. This method may or may not have long term implications in his ability to play the game. If that isn't a big sports story, then I'm not sure what is.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Some of my buddies are pumped up to watch this. I honestly do not want to watch it. It's meh to me.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Your entitled to your opinion. It still doesn’t answer the question how they - and no other reporter in the country - didn’t break the story.

I thought I read somewhere that McD and the Oilers collectively decided to withhold info to prevent media gong show because it would be a huge distraction while he was rehabbing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad