You asked for it, here is your All Purpose San Jose Sharks Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irbes Mask

Like Wall
Jun 15, 2013
California
****, ****, **** the Sharks. We just lost Raffi for a bunch of the season and we can't even sign a former 30 goal scorer for us who still has plenty of gas and can hit, FOR LESS THAN $1M?

**** THE SHARKS.

Living in the past isn't healthy. Setoguchi isn't what he was then, there's no guarantee what he is now is of any use either.

Anyone would. For all the Seto bashing here, at least he can skate. JS is good for nothing but punching people in the face (and putting the Sharks a man down). For those that want that, I suggest MMA. For those that like skilled hockey... well, I'm disgusted by this move and others DW has been making. Becoming less of a fan.

If a transition year and a 13th forward signing is enough to shake your fandom, perhaps that's where you look in the mirror.

This tells you all you need to know about the anti-seto sentiment. It's garbage, based on nothing, with no objective evidence.

If he's going to shape up on any team it's on a contender that he actually wants to play for, even discounting any personal growth he's had in the intervening years, plus the talent that would be pushing him here. If he's going to succeed anywhere it's with San Jose, and at under $1m you take that every day of the week.

Scorched earth sucks.

The reality and your memory of what was differ greatly. The once was's of the Sharks won't be coming back to give you that feeling you got when they did what they did when they were here. There's no going back, sorry. Just move forward.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
He's a 2-point CAREER HIGH player. The only way he's not a liability is if he doesn't play.

There is simply no place on a contender or even a decent team for him.

Even when in the line up, he won't play enough to be a real liabiliy.

He has 1 year at 1% of the cap to be a cave man from time to time. Let's all quit making this such a big deal wheb it's a non-issue. The team wants to clean and straighten up the lockerroom, and Sabres fans say he was regarded as a very good teammate.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose

He has 1 year at 1% of the cap to be a cave man from time to time. Let's all quit making this such a big deal wheb it's a non-issue. The team wants to clean and straighten up the lockerroom, and Sabres fans say he was regarded as a very good teammate.

That part is applied to a lot of guys who really aren't contributing hockeywise. See Burish. When you start stacking your team with more of the same, it sort of goes down hill.

Irbes Mask

Like Wall
Jun 15, 2013
California

He is the sole NHL FA addition, folks will use him (foolishly) as the totem for the team's off season. It is not a big deal, but when that's all there is....

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I forgot about Fedun.

Hannan counts as an ufa signing since he was on the market.

TGS.png

cantskate

Sep 22, 2005
On the ice
If a transition year and a 13th forward signing is enough to shake your fandom, perhaps that's where you look in the mirror.

It's not a matter of one signing, it's a general direction and style of play. I prefer to watch high-skill, high-speed, puck possession teams. Maybe the Sharks will still be that, and I'm willing to take a wait and see approach, but like everyone else here, I'm speculating on what DW's moves will mean for the upcoming season and beyond. I don't like what I've seen.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It's not a matter of one signing, it's a general direction and style of play. I prefer to watch high-skill, high-speed, puck possession teams. Maybe the Sharks will still be that, and I'm willing to take a wait and see approach, but like everyone else here, I'm speculating on what DW's moves will mean for the upcoming season and beyond. I don't like what I've seen.

From my point of view, it's not as fast as the Blackhawks but it's good puck possession. We also know that they can play that fast since they did it against LA and the only quick person we lost was Boyle.

Looking at the team, there are at least 4 defensemen who are quick and can move the puck up quickly while two of them are rock solid defensively. If Irwin and Tennyson both improve, then potentially 6 players who can move the puck quickly. Forwards are basically the same but a little older. Six good top 6 players, Wingels and Torres(but injured) are good top 9 players and Sheppard's showing more good than bad IMO, Desjardins is a great 4th liner but the winger options there are miserable.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
I know this "Seto" lifestyle has taken on a life of its own. But that was also the knock on Carter and Richards, no? Didn't seem to hurt them in LA, where they are in a city with some of the most night-life distractions in the world.

Some people can handle the nightlife scene, others get absorbed by it and it ruins their dayjob. We don't know what category Setoguchi fits under. We can see that his production since the trade has been in a spiral down.

Personally, if Seto has settled down some, I would have loved for his return to teal (especially at 1M or less). We need a #3RW and Seto could have filled that hole for this upcoming (throw away) season. I just did not want him leading any of the rooks into that kind of lifestyle. Still hope the best for him, hope he scores 20 on the flames (just none on us).

It would have been an excellent reclamation project with no real risk or cost in assets. I don't buy the takes a spot from a rookie nonsense, either. None of the kids (including Goldobin) look to break camp in a top 9 winger role anyway. And with the logjam of 4th line veteran scrubs DW just signed, not much room for kids to make the top 12. (well, one spot for McGinn or someone to replace Torres)

Heck, a line of Torres/???? - Thornton - Setoguchi would have been a fun experiment.

LeeIFBB

Crossing the Rubicon
Sep 30, 2011
Tanning Bed
David Pollak ‏@PollakOnSharks 31m
Newest Calgary Flame, ex-#SJShark Setoguchi has been skating this month in San Jose, where fiancee resides.

Definitely seems like Seto, along with Stuart were the primary targets of DW's "not just live here" comments.
He should look in the mirror.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

amen. we are a worse team than last year as it stands right now. we made the right subtractions but no additions, and we need to make additions to compete, top-6/top-4 type additions. instead we got two players who are generously thought of as marginal 4th liners, to go with several other players who are also marginal 4th liners.

This is a self-inflicted wound, we were all pissed off waving around a pistol and shot ourselves in the foot.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Some people can handle the nightlife scene, others get absorbed by it and it ruins their dayjob. We don't know what category Setoguchi fits under. We can see that his production since the trade has been in a spiral down.

Personally, if Seto has settled down some, I would have loved for his return to teal (especially at 1M or less). We need a #3RW and Seto could have filled that hole for this upcoming (throw away) season. I just did not want him leading any of the rooks into that kind of lifestyle. Still hope the best for him, hope he scores 20 on the flames (just none on us).

It would have been an excellent reclamation project with no real risk or cost in assets. I don't buy the takes a spot from a rookie nonsense, either. None of the kids (including Goldobin) look to break camp in a top 9 winger role anyway. And with the logjam of 4th line veteran scrubs DW just signed, not much room for kids to make the top 12. (well, one spot for McGinn or someone to replace Torres)

Heck, a line of Torres/???? - Thornton - Setoguchi would have been a fun experiment.
Someone brought up Richards and Carter where you get both ends of the spectrum. Carter is OK and Richards is not. Richards' skills are quickly diminishing. It also has to do with the organizational response to the player. Do they address it and how do they address it? Are they effective in addressing it?

Different orgs handle nightlife differently. Both the Kings and Ducks played their home games in the playoffs like road games in their winning years, checking their guys into hotels even when at home. It tended to curtail the nightlife although there was still entertainment at those hotels, just a little more supervised.

My guess on Seto is that the Sharks tried to modify his behavior and failed repeatedly long before he was traded. Seto is far from unique in having issues in this regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland