You asked for it, here is your All Purpose San Jose Sharks Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
Also, LOL Setoguchi. He'd contribute nothing whatsoever for 75 games next season. He'd be maddeningly frustrating for those games and would maybe pot 10 goals in 7 or something. Otherwise, he'd be worthless.

Don't get me wrong, I was in love with his potential at one point but those days are long gone.

Well. He'd be better than John Scott.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
The question I pose to all of you, is this Seto's last chance?

Personally, if Hartley can't fix him, I don't think anyone can.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The question I pose to all of you, is this Seto's last chance?

Personally, if Hartley can't fix him, I don't think anyone can.

What credibility does Hartley have to fix anyone and certainly to say that nobody else could? Hartley's not a good coach.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
What credibility does Hartley have to fix anyone and certainly to say that nobody else could? Hartley's not a good coach.

Style of coach is more the thing. Hartley's kinda considered as one of the more drill sergeant guys out there and supposedly he's instilled a sense of self-discipline and responsibility into last year's calgary team. So hypothetically, if he can't get any discipline into Setoguchi's lifestyle, no one can.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
http://my.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=16400&user_id=208110

"Hannan had horrible numbers from last season and was the Sharks biggest defensive liability when he was on the ice. When Hannan was on the ice last year the Sharks enjoyed their worst save percentage (.899)."

what the **** does the goalie's save percentage have anything to do with a defender's effectiveness on the ice?

Fine, I give him the negative relative corsi, Scott Hannan isn't exactly the most adept puck mover on the Sharks, but the goalie's Poor Save Percentage is more Niemi's fault than Hannan's.

Stuart was far and away the Sharks biggest defensive liability last year. It wasn't even close. There's a reason why Hannan was retained while Stuart got sent packing.

Last edited:

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
I would rather have Seto than Kennedy or Burish. He did really well in some playoff games.

Can anyone specify what is wrong with Seto? I mean, did they pull him off their lawn or something? Did he poop on DW's car? Maybe he just doesn't try?

I would think he is worth the risk at under $1M. He should be more mature if he is getting married.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Would he though? Scott is a fringe 4th liner and knows it. Setoguchi is a fringe 4th liner but thinks he's a first liner.

I'd say Seto's more of a fringe 3rd liner than a fringe 4th liner. His TOI and production speak to that. If he's a fringe 4th liner putting up 27 points in a season, then there are a lot of 4th liners that shouldn't be in the league. Seto didn't need to be here because we already have three lines worth of wingers that are all clearly better than him now and going forward.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
Perhaps you haven't been following but even a diminished Setoguchi would potentially benefit this team. That's how bad the offseason has been.

If he actually PLAYS 75 games that's a ton more than Raffi, and his worst season is better than Brown and Scott's best seasons COMBINED.

I actually haven't been following the team. Anything interesting happen? :sarcasm:

I'd take Brown over Seto. That's the god honest truth. Both are liabilities on the ice but Brown less so. Brown also doesn't need to be coddled with PP time and O-zone starts to be useful. Off the ice, Seto has too much baggage to bring back.

Of course Seto would be better than Scott but Scott has a very defined role. I'd take Scott for 6 minutes a game for 15 games or whatever over Seto for all 82 doing jack ****.

cantskate

Sep 22, 2005
On the ice
Well. He'd be better than John Scott.

Anyone would. For all the Seto bashing here, at least he can skate. JS is good for nothing but punching people in the face (and putting the Sharks a man down). For those that want that, I suggest MMA. For those that like skilled hockey... well, I'm disgusted by this move and others DW has been making. Becoming less of a fan.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I actually haven't been following the team. Anything interesting happen? :sarcasm:

I'd take Brown over Seto. That's the god honest truth. Both are liabilities on the ice but Brown less so. Brown also doesn't need to be coddled with PP time and O-zone starts to be useful. Off the ice, Seto has too much baggage to bring back.

Of course Seto would be better than Scott but Scott has a very defined role. I'd take Scott for 6 minutes a game for 15 games or whatever over Seto for all 82 doing jack ****.

Thank you. You know that night in and night out, Mike Brown is going to play his ass off even with his limited skill set. Seto, not so much. Coaches don't have time for floaters unless they have an unreal amount of talent then they can tolerate it to a certain extent. Setoguchi doesn't have that type of skill to warrant that type of leash.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Thank you. You know that night in and night out, Mike Brown is going to play his ass off even with his limited skill set. Seto, not so much. Coaches don't have time for floaters unless they have an unreal amount of talent then they can tolerate it to a certain extent. Setoguchi doesn't have that type of skill to warrant that type of leash.

Another point: Depending on where he is in the lineup, Seto would be playing against 1st, 2nd, or 3rd liners who can play and he'll be useless. Scott and Brown are just gonna be useless against other 4th liners in most, if not all situations.

It won't be worth the coaches time to try to set Seto up against the opposing team's weakest line when they could send out better players to do that if they wanted to.

cantskate

Sep 22, 2005
On the ice

In my view, there is a big difference between Brown and Scott. Brown may not be that skilled, but he skates pretty well and can play a regular shift without hurting the team. He may even chip in from time to time offensively. Brown MAY fight, but that isn't his purpose or value. Scott's only value is to fight.

I'm not saying that they should have re-signed Seto, and it's a dead issue anyway unless Calgary decides to trade him at some point. However, as some others have pointed out, there are others in the league that are making 3 times what Seto is while having equivalent stats (points, +/-, etc.). This is measuring him on his bad times with Winny/Minny. To be honest, I didn't see Seto play much last year, and didn't know he had developed a rep as a floater.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I would rather have Seto than Kennedy or Burish. He did really well in some playoff games.

Can anyone specify what is wrong with Seto? I mean, did they pull him off their lawn or something? Did he poop on DW's car? Maybe he just doesn't try?

I would think he is worth the risk at under $1M. He should be more mature if he is getting married.

Indeed.

Seto was known to have a ton of off-ice and attitude problems.

When he was here? We'll take those and 25-30 goals at $1m or less. We're idiots not to.

Would he though? Scott is a fringe 4th liner and knows it. Setoguchi is a fringe 4th liner but thinks he's a first liner.

On the teams he's been on he is closer to a first than a fourth liner. In SJ, not so much.

I'd take Brown over Seto. That's the god honest truth.

This tells you all you need to know about the anti-seto sentiment. It's garbage, based on nothing, with no objective evidence.

If he's going to shape up on any team it's on a contender that he actually wants to play for, even discounting any personal growth he's had in the intervening years, plus the talent that would be pushing him here. If he's going to succeed anywhere it's with San Jose, and at under $1m you take that every day of the week.

Scorched earth sucks.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Not sure what all the fuss is with Scott. He hasn't been a liability so far.

He's a 2-point CAREER HIGH player. The only way he's not a liability is if he doesn't play.

There is simply no place on a contender or even a decent team for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad