You asked for it, here is your All Purpose San Jose Sharks Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Old joke. I've mostly seen it done with the Maple Leafs, but I'd be willing to bet that even then it was poached from other, earlier references, possibly in other sports (I could see it having gone through a Cleveland Browns phase before)

An old joke is still new to someone who has never seen it before. ;)

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
What has me excited about this season is all the potential youngsters that could be in the line-up.. the doom and gloom on here is quite thick.. Sharks are to good to NOT make the PO's. I look forward to seeing who pairs with Mueller, will Goldobin get put on JT's wing? Does Hertl get his own line? How will Burns' return to D pan out? Can Torres be a factor and play? When healthy the Sharks are deeeep. I think Stalock blossoms making Nemo all but trade-bait.

The Sharks current D and potential guys who could step up-

Burns,Vlasic,Braun,Demers are all core players who should have spots locked up for the next 5+ years. That leaves 2 spots.

Irwin, Mueller, K.A., Fedun, Doherty, Tennyson-
whom of these 6 is likely to stick?? Who becomes that LHD we are missing? Does Irwin become trade bait? Would the Sharks turnover the 3rd pairing D to rookies? Mueller is the obvious choice. I am intrigued by Fedun to be honest. Has the skills we lack on the back-end (smart puck mover,skates well) could be a solid 4/5/6. And he's only 23..

This season holds many keys to our future. What youngster gets packaged with Nemo as trade bait? Does Kennedy last the whole year? If the rookies on D step up, what youngsters can be parleyed into restocking picks? Hertl/Nieto shine or 2nd yr slump? Drop the puck please!!!!

cantskate

Sep 22, 2005
On the ice
What has me excited about this season is all the potential youngsters that could be in the line-up.. the doom and gloom on here is quite thick.. Sharks are to good to NOT make the PO's. I look forward to seeing who pairs with Mueller, will Goldobin get put on JT's wing? Does Hertl get his own line? How will Burns' return to D pan out? Can Torres be a factor and play? When healthy the Sharks are deeeep. I think Stalock blossoms making Nemo all but trade-bait.

The Sharks current D and potential guys who could step up-

Burns,Vlasic,Braun,Demers are all core players who should have spots locked up for the next 5+ years. That leaves 2 spots.

Irwin, Mueller, K.A., Fedun, Doherty, Tennyson-
whom of these 6 is likely to stick?? Who becomes that LHD we are missing? Does Irwin become trade bait? Would the Sharks turnover the 3rd pairing D to rookies? Mueller is the obvious choice. I am intrigued by Fedun to be honest. Has the skills we lack on the back-end (smart puck mover,skates well) could be a solid 4/5/6. And he's only 23..

This season holds many keys to our future. What youngster gets packaged with Nemo as trade bait? Does Kennedy last the whole year? If the rookies on D step up, what youngsters can be parleyed into restocking picks? Hertl/Nieto shine or 2nd yr slump? Drop the puck please!!!!

I'm not as optimistic about the youth prospects. The AHL Sharks have missed the playoffs the past four years and haven't really been close. There are a few recent draft picks with potential, but every team has some prospects with potential. Counting on the kids this year seems overly hopeful. The shallow pool is a direct result of DW trading away so many 1st and 2nd round picks over the past 7 years.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
I'm not as optimistic about the youth prospects. The AHL Sharks have missed the playoffs the past four years and haven't really been close. There are a few recent draft picks with potential, but every team has some prospects with potential. Counting on the kids this year seems overly hopeful. The shallow pool is a direct result of DW trading away so many 1st and 2nd round picks over the past 7 years.

See: Sommer, Roy

cantskate

Sep 22, 2005
On the ice
See: Sommer, Roy

Easy to dump on the coach, and maybe the criticism is justified, but again, I'd argue that trading away numerous high draft picks for 7 years has had a profoundly negative affect on the talent pool. In any case, I don't see many young guys coming up that look to have a major impact. Hertl probably has the best chance. Even talented guys like Mueller are probably not going to jump from Juniors to the NHL, especially defensemen.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
FWIW, as of today, the Sharks have 50 players signed to contracts:

44 NHL deals, 6 AHL deals. Two NHL deals (Bergman, Mueller) can slide.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Man I was looking at the picks traded and it's remarkable how good this team has been despite the drafting.

-Guerin for 1st
-Rivet for 1st, Gorges (Got two second back- and wasted them)
-Campbell for 1st, Bernier
-Wallin for 2nd
-White for 2nd
-Burns for Coyle, Seto, 1st
-Boyle for Wishart, Carle, 1st
-Huskins/Moen for Bonino
-2nd for Ehrhoff

So we essentially got Burns and 6 years of Boyle for 8 1sts, three top 4 d-man (all left handed, lol), and a 2/3 center. In addition, we had Petrecki and Kaspar bust.

For what it's worth, I'd make the Boyle and Burns trades time and again, but man, given this team refuses to sign quality free agents, and is essentially built through the draft, it's pretty amazing how good they've been.

Hertl-_____-Pavelski
Goldobin-Couture-Nieto
Rodd-Tierney-Wingels

Vlasic-Burns
Mueller-Braun
Shauser-Demers/Demelo/Tenny/Doherty

Stalock
Grosenik

Obviously, there are some holes in the 30 and under group, but really the team is a single home-run away from remaining one of the elite teams.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Facebook-like-btn.png

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Man I was looking at the picks traded and it's remarkable how good this team has been despite the drafting.

-Guerin for 1st
-Wallin for 2nd
-White for 2nd
-Huskins/Moen for Bonino
-2nd for Ehrhoff

So we essentially got Burns and 6 years of Boyle for 8 1sts, three top 4 d-man (all left handed, lol), and a 2/3 center. In addition, we had Petrecki and Kaspar bust.

For what it's worth, I'd make the Boyle and Burns trades time and again, but man, given this team refuses to sign quality free agents, and is essentially built through the draft, it's pretty amazing how good they've been.

Hertl-_____-Pavelski
Goldobin-Couture-Nieto
Rodd-Tierney-Wingels

Vlasic-Burns
Mueller-Braun

Stalock
Grosenik

Obviously, there are some holes in the 30 and under group, but really the team is a single home-run away from remaining one of the elite teams.

I was bored one time, so I looked up all the NHL regulars the Sharks have drafted who are still playing in the NHL and the forwards in particular are pretty impressive.

Marleau, Clowe, Goc, Pavelski, Bernier, Michalek, McGinn, Seto(sort of a regular), Bonino, Couture, Wingels, Coyle, Hertl, Nieto.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

-Guerin for 1st
-Wallin for 2nd
-White for 2nd
-Huskins/Moen for Bonino
-2nd for Ehrhoff

Hertl-_____-Pavelski
Goldobin-Couture-Nieto
Rodd-Tierney-Wingels

Vlasic-Burns
Mueller-Braun

Stalock
Grosenik

but, but, bu-bu-but, but, but the wasted draft picks! If I take all those picks and go back and select the best players picked after those #s that the Sharks could've had, I could assemble a virtual all-star team! :sarcasm:

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
but, but, bu-bu-but, but, but the wasted draft picks! If I take all those picks and go back and select the best players picked after those #s that the Sharks could've had, I could assemble a virtual all-star team! :sarcasm:

My complaints will be minimal if Goldobin and the 2015 1st turn out well.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
My complaints will be minimal if Goldobin and the 2015 1st turn out well.

Staying on the positive side, I agree and then some.. Should Mueller pan out and fill the void at LHD, the Sharks are pretty set for the future on D. Vlasic,Burns,Braun,Demers,Mueller.. Let irwin, Abeltshatser, Doherty, Fedun, etc battle for the 6/7 spots.

Use 2015/2016 drafts to focus on offensive players. Trade up potentially. players the Sharks could move(KA,Doherty,Tennyson,Hamilton,Tierany) along with Nemo, Kennedy, Irwin.

I think Goldy on JT's wing is a Calder lock:nod:

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Does anyone know where I can find the clip (preferably youtube) where Sharkie got stuck in the rafters when he was trying to rappel down to the ice? I've been trying to look and figured the Sharks board would be a good place to ask.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

-Guerin for 1st
-Wallin for 2nd
-White for 2nd
-Huskins/Moen for Bonino
-2nd for Ehrhoff

8 firsts? 5 firsts. You are also missing the Winnik trade (since you included the Bonino trade).

I don't see the 3 top-4 Dmen. I see Ehrhoff and Carle, both of whom likely wouldn't be Sharks anyways due to contract demands.

In general, I don't have a problem with those trades. It is what contenders should do. DW should never have gone after Guerin, and the Moen/Huskins/Wallin are ones where DW performed subtraction by addition...

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
8 firsts? 5 firsts. You are also missing the Winnik trade (since you included the Bonino trade).

I don't see the 3 top-4 Dmen. I see Ehrhoff and Carle, both of whom likely wouldn't be Sharks anyways due to contract demands.

In general, I don't have a problem with those trades. It is what contenders should do. DW should never have gone after Guerin, and the Moen/Huskins/Wallin are ones where DW performed subtraction by addition...

Agree about Burns/Boyle

Didn't like the Guerin trade or the McGinn trade or Bonino trade. The rest were gambles that GM's take. Granted, we have little to show for ALL those trades over the years.:cry:

McGinn-Wingels-bonino would have been a awesome 3rd line to watch

Los Tiburones

Jun 11, 2002
Visit site
If the Sharks really want to go full-tilt youth movement, potentially at the expense of rushing their young players and destroying their careers, could see this to start the season:

Marleau Couture Nieto
Goldobin Thornton Hertl
Tierney Pavelski Wingels
Sheppard Desi Brown

Would be an entertaining experiment....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad