You asked for it, here is your All Purpose San Jose Sharks Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
[Mod] Seriously, he may turn out to be an excellent 4th liner but really hasn't shown he can stick to an NHL squad's starting lineup.

He's put up great numbers for the situation he's been in. Remember Philly had pretty much no rookies/two-way contracts last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
When Torres isn't pre-occupied with recovering from injuries or serving punishments for being a cheap head-hunting dirtbag.......Torres is a speedy and skilled yet also tough and gritty forward with 15-20+ goal abilities. I don't like his recklessness but there's no denying that Torres has valuable offensive talent.

McGinn on the other hand offers little to none of that. He may provide something of a physical presence every few shifts and eventually develop into a serviceable forechecker or penalty-killer, but I don't really envision him getting a regular spot in the starting lineup, much less having the ability to be a regular contributor on the top two forward lines.

Basically, he's going to end up being like every other interchangeable 40-game, dozen-MPG, AHL/NHL carpetbagger whose name and existence you will have completely forgotten about 5 years from now.
I was just looking beyond the stuff that everyone talks about with Torres. I was looking at actual hockey playing skill which counts more than many care to admit.

McGinn isn't terribly slow. He's about as fast as Sheppard from my limited viewings of him.
Sheppard is the type of player that the Sharks hype but will bury them if they stuff their team full of them. Same goes for McGinn. They are both way slower than average. They aren't turtle slow, but they are slow. They need to be balanced with more guys like Wingels and Nieto. It really hurts that 3 of their top 4 forwards are in the slower than average crowd at this point. Hertl is not fast either.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Setoguchi to Calgary for 750k. His worth just keeps dropping and dropping. A testament that DW and many others would rather pay tough guys more than they would pay for Seto.

Also, it's like Seto and Galiardi are switching places.

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I'd rather have Setoguchi than John Scott, Burish, or Kennedy. He's signed for less and has more to prove, and if he sucks he would be a cheaper healthy scratch. DW has been backtracking all summer anyway so it's not like it would have hurt his credibility.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Setoguchi to Calgary for 750k. His worth just keeps dropping and dropping. A testament that DW and many others would rather pay tough guys more than they would pay for Seto.

Also, it's like Seto and Galiardi are switching places.

****, ****, **** the Sharks. We just lost Raffi for a bunch of the season and we can't even sign a former 30 goal scorer for us who still has plenty of gas and can hit, FOR LESS THAN $1M?

**** THE SHARKS.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
****, ****, **** the Sharks. We just lost Raffi for a bunch of the season and we can't even sign a former 30 goal scorer for us who still has plenty of gas and can hit, FOR LESS THAN $1M?

**** THE SHARKS.

Plenty of gas is quite an assumption. It looks like Setogouchi has fallen off a cliff. Perhaps he didn't take care of himself.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Let's just calm down. Seto may not have even wanted to come back

His services certainly weren't in high demand... My guess is he would have taken an additional 500k to play for the Sharks even if he had hard feelings.

Calgary is obviously taking a shot in the dark with him. Maybe it will pay off big for them, but if not, it won't be much of a loss for them.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
David Pollak ‏@PollakOnSharks 31m
Newest Calgary Flame, ex-#SJShark Setoguchi has been skating this month in San Jose, where fiancee resides.

Definitely seems like Seto, along with Stuart were the primary targets of DW's "not just live here" comments.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
David Pollak ‏@PollakOnSharks 31m
Newest Calgary Flame, ex-#SJShark Setoguchi has been skating this month in San Jose, where fiancee resides.

Definitely seems like Seto, along with Stuart were the primary targets of DW's "not just live here" comments.

I'm kind of shocked that he has a fiancee in SJ.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I bet he wanted to come to a California team, but he priced himself too high earlier in the off-season and now it's too late. DW is too stubborn/proud, the Kings/Ducks have their rosters mostly set.
If I were Anaheim, I'd rather have Setoguchi at 1 mil than Heatley.

zeus

Jul 1, 2003
Gilroy
I got my new issue of The Hockey News in the mail today. There is an article by Adam Proteau titled "Let's wise up and ice the ice girls." It definitely should be required reading for Doug Wilson.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I got my new issue of The Hockey News in the mail today. There is an article by Adam Proteau titled "Let's wise up and ice the ice girls." It definitely should be required reading for Doug Wilson.

Why would Doug Wilson have to read an article that has nothing to do with what he does? He doesn't have anything to do with that side of the Sharks.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
even if there was much truth to any of this, it would still be a comparatively good move compared to the absolute **** the team has done this preseason.

but none of that is true. seto is a pennies on the dollar reclamation project that would easily fill a bottom 6 spot in Torres' absence and give the chance of a ton of upside back with the team he actually wanted to play for.

this snacks of more hasso (financial) meddling.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Signing Seto is so pointless. I wanted him back at one point but he's now contrary to the culture the staff is trying to instill. If this is the way they want to go I want them to go all in with it.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Signing Seto is so pointless. I wanted him back at one point but he's now contrary to the culture the staff is trying to instill. If this is the way they want to go I want them to go all in with it.

oh? what culture is that? please, enlighten us. :rolleyes:

you have no idea what they are doing. no one does.

it isn't even clear THEY know what they are doing.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
[Mod] Seriously, he may turn out to be an excellent 4th liner but really hasn't shown he can stick to an NHL squad's starting lineup.

McGinn was never given the chance in Philly and as a Flyer fan whose watched him play the few chances (called up for injury replacement) he was given, he did a great job. ANd that included playing on the top 6 when called upon and scoring. He's a solid bottom 9 contributor who plays 110% every shift, busts his gut on every play, not afraid to drive to the net, good on the boards. And had the Flyers had any sense, they'd have given him regular minutes on the 4th line and allowed him to develop. you can't do that when you only get minutes to replace an injured player, no stablity. That Berube elected to keep Rinaldo over him, speaks volumes, Rinaldo has little to no redeeming qualities that contribute.
DOn't judge McGinn until you see him play, give him a fair chance. You give him a reg shift on the 4th line and you'll get repaid in spades. He's a very easy player to like.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
McGinn was never given the chance in Philly and as a Flyer fan whose watched him play the few chances (called up for injury replacement) he was given, he did a great job. ANd that included playing on the top 6 when called upon and scoring. He's a solid bottom 9 contributor who plays 110% every shift, busts his gut on every play, not afraid to drive to the net, good on the boards. And had the Flyers had any sense, they'd have given him regular minutes on the 4th line and allowed him to develop. you can't do that when you only get minutes to replace an injured player, no stablity. That Berube elected to keep Rinaldo over him, speaks volumes, Rinaldo has little to no redeeming qualities that contribute.
DOn't judge McGinn until you see him play, give him a fair chance. You give him a reg shift on the 4th line and you'll get repaid in spades. He's a very easy player to like.

I was impressed with McGinn the few times I saw him play. I personally am penciling him in on the fourth line. I don't see him as any worse than Brown or Burish and he has a WAY higher upside.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
Also, LOL Setoguchi. He'd contribute nothing whatsoever for 75 games next season. He'd be maddeningly frustrating for those games and would maybe pot 10 goals in 7 or something. Otherwise, he'd be worthless.

Don't get me wrong, I was in love with his potential at one point but those days are long gone.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Also, LOL Setoguchi. He'd contribute nothing whatsoever for 75 games next season. He'd be maddeningly frustrating for those games and would maybe pot 10 goals in 7 or something. Otherwise, he'd be worthless.

Don't get me wrong, I was in love with his potential at one point but those days are long gone.

Perhaps you haven't been following but even a diminished Setoguchi would potentially benefit this team. That's how bad the offseason has been.

If he actually PLAYS 75 games that's a ton more than Raffi, and his worst season is better than Brown and Scott's best seasons COMBINED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad