Ok, I hear you. For this 3-way to work Jurco has to be included Let's make it

Tomas Jurco
Caps 1st 2015
Dmitry Orlov

For Jumbo Joe

Sounds fair?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I was going to add healthy Rinne. IMO, Rinne, Rask and Lundqvist are the Vezina group. When they are on their game and healthy, you can add Bob, Varlamov, Smith and Bishop to the follow up group.

Quick is up there but he gives up too much of the upper half of the net when he goes side to side. In style he is most comparable to Rask who is also aggressive.

Can't ignore that Quick fits very well in LA and Raask fits very well in Boston. Don't think they'd be quite the same if switched, for example.

Just not my type of return for Jumbo. If the Sharks trade him, they need to gear the return towards futures. Johansson and Brouwer are more transitional pieces. Jurco is arguably the same way although less proven and possibly more potential. The Sharks would need to trade Thornton for a good 1st round pick or that level of a young prospect. They'll focus more on quality than quantity.

Trading Thornton will be more about the team setting a new direction that anything else. I cannot imagine JT getting a return that would "cement" the future for the team. They're not going to get a young JT, or even a young PM or young Couture in return.

You need one or two superstar/franchise level forwards to win a cup. If the Sharks decide that JT isn't that, they should realize that they are very unlikely to receive that kind of player, or that kind of future player, in trade. The Sharks would still be looking to fill that hole, and it isn't going to be easy.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Trading Thornton will be more about the team setting a new direction that anything else. I cannot imagine JT getting a return that would "cement" the future for the team. They're not going to get a young JT, or even a young PM or young Couture in return.

You need one or two superstar/franchise level forwards to win a cup. If the Sharks decide that JT isn't that, they should realize that they are very unlikely to receive that kind of player, or that kind of future player, in trade. The Sharks would still be looking to fill that hole, and it isn't going to be easy.

Which is why something like a 1st round pick in a supposedly talent-laden draft is a must if they're going to make that move. They need one franchise level or something relatively close to it asset in return for Thornton and the best bet is going to be a draft pick over a tradeable young player or prospect.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Can't ignore that Quick fits very well in LA and Raask fits very well in Boston. Don't think they'd be quite the same if switched, for example.
Quick and Rask are extremely similar, very aggressive. They both need defenders who are rock solid protecting the back door. Switching them would probably be the easiest swap for either in terms of potential destinations if they moved. Rinne and Lundqvist are more unique in style.

cantskate

Sep 22, 2005
On the ice
Ok, I hear you. For this 3-way to work Jurco has to be included Let's make it

Tomas Jurco
Caps 1st 2015
Dmitry Orlov

For Jumbo Joe

Sounds fair?

Caps would probably want something coming back in addition, like a 3rd round pick?

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke
Dreger "at some point this season, when he's stuck on the 4th line and questioning his future & the future of the team...."

Hope_Smoke ‏@Hope_Smoke
Dreger "...Joe Thornton may re-evaluate about staying in SJ & not waiving his NTC"

Dreger get's worse by the day.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
McClellan isn't going to make the team worse to try and make Thornton leave. What Pejorative Slured nonsense.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Dreger's Analysis of the SJ Sharks Forward Depth Chart

1. Hertl
2. Nieto
3. Couture
4. Pavelski
5. Wingels
6. Sheppard
7. Kennedy
8. Torres
9. Burish
10. Desjardins
11. Marleau
12. Thornton
13. Brown
14. Scott

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Lol.

Ultimately the coach has the say on what players he skates where. It would be job suicide to put Thornton in a bottom 6 role.

That depends really. If DW is the guy behind it and has Hasso's approval for it, it isn't necessarily job suicide. Besides, Thornton would still find a way to be productive in a 3rd line role or even on the 4th. However, the players will not likely allow it to happen.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Dreger get's worse by the day.

Hope Smoke: Pierre LeBrun: “Saying that, Thornton wasn’t good in the playoffs. Neither were Couture, Pavelski and Niemi was the worst of all†… “Doug Wilson never asked Joe Thornton to waive his NMC this summer.†… “I think Stalock is going to wrestle the job away from Niemi & I think that’s what the organization wants.€

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
That depends really. If DW is the guy behind it and has Hasso's approval for it, it isn't necessarily job suicide. Besides, Thornton would still find a way to be productive in a 3rd line role or even on the 4th. However, the players will not likely allow it to happen.

If their ultimate goal becomes taking a team that is good enough to win right now and purposely making them worse, I'm out. That's ass backwards. I can see if they're a team like the Flames with Iginla, but this team already has young talent. There is no sense in not trying to win.

Putting Thornton outside the top 6 is not trying to win.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
This is the funniest thing I've read all day. Well done sir. :laugh::laugh:

Old joke. I've mostly seen it done with the Maple Leafs, but I'd be willing to bet that even then it was poached from other, earlier references, possibly in other sports (I could see it having gone through a Cleveland Browns phase before)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad