Post-Game Talk: Winter Classic - New York Rangers vs. Buffalo Sabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcdoughnut

Jan 22, 2017
New York
I was there! First outdoor game for me, and I loved it. Was definitely very cold but I had more layers than I can count, so I faired pretty well. Definitely didn't feel like I had to go inside out of fear of frostbite or anything.

The souvenir cup they were giving out with the hot chocolate is pretty nice too. Overall a really fun experience and glad to get a W!

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
If your best argument for this team winning a cup is that anything can happen in the playoffs or other teams are also flawed, then we're in trouble. I just hope we don't trade away any more draft picks based on this reasoning.
No one is saying that. I think we all agree that selling the farm is unwise.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Yeah and outside of winning the cup we’re probably the most successful team in the league in that time. Two years in a row we were a few bad breaks from winning the Cup so it’s not like saying that about Henrik and our chances is crazy.

He props up this team as he’s always done and as a result we’re better for it and it gives us a chance. This team is far closer to being capable of a long playoff run than it is tanking the season, no matter how much some of you want that.

And sorry, in this league where we see franchises stuck in mediocrity for decades, no team would or frankly should just throw away any time that they’re competitive.

I agree they shouldn’t spend assets on rentals but I don’t think they should actively sell. If someone offers you something you can’t turn down then you make the move, but you don’t torpedo your team in name of assets. Sorry, that won’t happen not for the Rangers not for any team. It’s hard to be good and make the playoffs in this league, that shouldn’t be taken for granted.

Just because our team isn’t perfect on paper and has flaws doesn’t mean it should be blown up nor does it mean they don’t have a shot.
You are The Truth

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Yeah and outside of winning the cup we’re probably the most successful team in the league in that time. Two years in a row we were a few bad breaks from winning the Cup.

Chicago? Pit? LA?

What exactly have we accomplished? We’ve thrown the we have Lundqvist anything can happen narrative for well over a decade and have 1 Cup appearance to show for.

Color me unimpressed with those results. If this team didn’t take the win-now approach Every. Single. ****ing. Year, and had some long term vision After striking gold with Lundqvist, we very well could have had a cup or two.

We’ve burned through so many picks over the last 12 years is sickening. Especially when you factor in how well we’ve done at drafting over that time.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
That’s awesome haha, guess that should’ve been to be expected for a game in Queens. Absolutely hilarious the NHL made this a home game for Buffalo.

For the handful who don't know, the Rangers cannot play a single game other than MSG as the home team, or they will lose city property tax exempt status for the Garden.

Remnant from 1982 agreement but it's worth ~50million/yr.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
For the handful who don't know, the Rangers cannot play a single game other than MSG as the home team, or they will lose city property tax exempt status for the Garden.

So why couldn't they play in Buffalo as the way team?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ

When does the agreement actually end? Is that known?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Because they wanted Fast in the event or he begged to be in it? Doubtful.

If he's at the point where he's not 100%, but wouldn't cause more damage by playing, I think they'd absolutely let him in for one game if he really wanted to.

He played under 10 minutes at ES. His average is over 12. I really don't think he was at 100%. After Lettieri played well last game, why else would they put a player who isn't 100% back in the lineup?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
So why couldn't they play in Buffalo as the way team?
I wish they did. Would have been awesome to have this game happen in the same location as the WJC.

But, the NHL probably figured they would be able to sell tickets easier if the location was by NYC and the NYR fans. There is still a decent amount of Buffalo fans on LI.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I have to give Gorton and AV some credit. They stuck with Carey as a 4th liner during a rough start to the season but he has been MUCH better. He can handle the puck, is making smart plays with it and creating chances. He and Nieves have really helped with depth scoring and swinging momentum.

Carey has been a great surprise. Where did we get him from? He just appeared one day.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I wish they did. Would have been awesome to have this game happen in the same location as the WJC.

But, the NHL probably figured they would be able to sell tickets easier if the location was by NYC and the NYR fans. There is still a decent amount of Buffalo fans on LI.

I honestly think it's pretty unfair. I didn't notice because I was too busy cursing, but did they play the goal song when Buffalo scored? When Miller scored having the goal song play in an "away game", made me feel uncomfortable.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I honestly think it's pretty unfair. I didn't notice because I was too busy cursing, but did they play the goal song when Buffalo scored? When Miller scored having the goal song play in an "away game", made me feel uncomfortable.

On TV, it sounded to me like they played the Rangers goal song for all three goals and the Sabres goal song for both of theirs.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Ok, that's a bit more fair. It would probably be a bit ridiculous to do only the Sabres goal song in Queens.

I think they realized what this was: way for them to have an NYC Winter Classic without the Rangers having to give up their tax exemption. Meaning that it was only ostensibly an away game. The Sabres were happy to do it because I'm sure they made more money off it than they would have off of a regular one of their home games.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
When 2 atrocious defensive teams play each other you get some very fun hockey.

That was actually an enjoyable game to watch tbh

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
BTW, this is something that I complained in previous Winter Classics on the main boards and didn't get anywhere. I understand why they stop the game halfway through the 3rd and OT, but I don't like that they do it. It may be the better option, but I don't like a random stoppage in a game that isn't there in a normal game. What if the stoppage prevents a high quality chance from happening and perhaps a goal?

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Carey is a career AHLer and should be dropped as soon as a bag of pucks becomes available, in case you haven't heard.

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Carey is a career AHLer and should be dropped as soon as a bag of pucks becomes available, in case you haven't heard.
A whole bag? You’re overrating him. Maybe we could get a shoelace that touched a public bathroom floor for ‘im.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad