Post-Game Talk: Winter Classic - New York Rangers vs. Buffalo Sabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I like Carey too. I think he's played well. I don't see him past the 4th line but he snipes one here and there. He's been really really good at the AHL level for a while. You know he's got to be just f***ing eating this chance up. It might not last very long but it's that underdog story of a guy that just keeps at it. I like to see people try to work out their dreams.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I honestly think it's pretty unfair. I didn't notice because I was too busy cursing, but did they play the goal song when Buffalo scored? When Miller scored having the goal song play in an "away game", made me feel uncomfortable.

It was an "away" game in name only. That was as much of a home game for the Rangers as any game at MSG is. Seemed as if it was 95% or so Ranger fans as from the many pans of the crowd, I think I saw two Sabre jersey's from the comfort of my cushy couch. When they panned the stadium after the Miller OT winner, it was all Ranger fans going bonkers in Ranger jerseys.

So this narrative that it was an away game for us is pure folly. It was as much of a home game as any other game.....

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Anyway my guitar/postal worker buddy went to this game. His youngest son on his second hitch in the Marine Corps got tickets for himself, his girlfriend, my friend and his wife to the game. The oldest--also in the Marine Corps was killed in 2009. You got to carry on though. Every one of them diehard Rangers fans.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Totally agree. After a 3-7-2 start this team is 18-6-3. That's outstanding, but a lot of people on here aren't happy unless they dominate a game for a full 60 minutes which is tough in today's NHL. I still think they can play better but I'm pretty happy where they stand in a very tough division after such a poor start.

Sticky request.

Reactions: mrjiggyfly

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
As long as our 4th line doesn’t give up points, or take dumb penalties, I’m satisfied.

If you get offensive production? That’s just mother****ing gravy right there.

tenor.gif

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
For the handful who don't know, the Rangers cannot play a single game other than MSG as the home team, or they will lose city property tax exempt status for the Garden.

Remnant from 1982 agreement but it's worth ~50million/yr.
Yeah, I knew that from the Stadium series we were the away team both games.

Still hilarious to have Buffalo of all teams be the home team. They had one of their 41 home games of the season occur 300+ miles from their actual city.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Rod Gilbert isn't a big Bruins fan either.

It's kind of funny how some of our brothers get all hot and bothered over Millbury's obvious dislike for the Rangers. To me, it's big f***ing deal.

Besides the fact he's an idiot, Milbury's hatred for the Rangers is more than made up for and trumped by Roenick's obvious love for the Rangers seeing that other than Sam and Joe, no one in the national media throws more bouquets the Rangers way than JR.

Funny, I always loved JR as a player and always wished somehow the Rangers could aquire him. But he's really grown on me as an announcer as he knows his shit, he does a good interview, he's kind of humorous at times , he's respected by pretty much everyone and like I said, you can tell for some reason he has this weird affinity for our team.

Anyone else notice this JR love for us? If not, next time he does a game of ours, listen to all the kudos he throws our way and you'll see what I'm talking about....:nod:

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
Had no idea Sam would be doing a broadcast for this. Like a true pro he stops himself from going OTT after the game winning goal as it's not an MSG broadcast - you can hear him toning it down on the goal call.

Milbury on the other hand sounds like his Mother's house has just been burgled. Almost worth not hearing Sam call the game.

Still undefeated outdoors :party:

LGR!!

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Well, that was one to remember. I missed the overtime goal by Miller because I was rushed to the hospital with hypothermia. **** my life. Was a great experience though. National anthem, the flyover etc.

Luckily I fly to Florida today to warm up a bit more.

Hope you're doing better. Where were you sitting? Did you not dress warm enough? Did you go up to an usher or EMT stating you weren't feeling well? It was no joke yesterday. Towards the 3rd, my fingers were definitely feeling it, even with glove liners, hand warmers and heavy ski gloves. Same with my toes, with sock liner, hiking socks, toe warmers on the bottom and top of my toes, with winter boots.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
@Amazing Kreiderman I hope you’re better, buddy, yesterday’s cold was no joke! We had a full ski gear head to toe and then some!

Otherwise, this was a bucket list experience for sure! Was at the game with my 13-year old son. This is going to be an experience I will be looking back onto over and over as something very special! JT’s OT goal was AWESOME and appropriate end to it!

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Crowd singing the goal song after Miller’s goal was pretty awesome.

Seemed like crowd was prob 75% Rangers fans? Anyone there have a better read on it?
More than that. I was in 508, seemed like it was 90-95% Rangers fans. No, I am not exaggerating.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Milbury does what Milbury does. He's somewhat of an oaf and it's the Bruins and the Islanders thing with him and he was an awful GM. No one trades a legit No. 1 goalie and the backup at the draft with the idea the guy they're reaching for is going to step right into the crease and be the starter at 18 years old. No one except Milbury anyway and that was as f***ed up as it gets. I don't think Keith Jones likes us very much either. I don't mind Roenick or Olczyk--to be honest I wouldn't mind replacing Micheletti with one of them because Joe sucks and IMO Joe is just really a cheerleader at heart. Maybe it's me though because even Davidson would piss me off at times.....and Sam.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
So for those that went, what % full would you say the stadium was. Hard to tell on TV, although there were definitely quite a few sections that had a lot of empty seats.
It seemed completely full. In the middle deck, field level, and hyundai club, you have access to indoor club. People were going in and out of there constantly.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I wish they did. Would have been awesome to have this game happen in the same location as the WJC.

But, the NHL probably figured they would be able to sell tickets easier if the location was by NYC and the NYR fans. There is still a decent amount of Buffalo fans on LI.
You have said this before because you said you have a few friends on LI that are Sabres fans. The game was easily 90% Rangers fans, so the few hundred Sabres fans on LI is a very insignificant amount. If anything the opposite. Would have been awesome to bring Canada and the US down here to play outdoors.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I honestly think it's pretty unfair. I didn't notice because I was too busy cursing, but did they play the goal song when Buffalo scored? When Miller scored having the goal song play in an "away game", made me feel uncomfortable.
Yes, they did blow a horn and play a song when Buffalo scored. No idea if it was their song, or not. As for the second part, are you serious?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I saw quite a few Buffalo fans in my section. Probably 15%-20% is a good estimate.

BTW, to me this is easily the best NYR jersey made in quite awhile.

Reactions: Maximus

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Hope you're doing better. Where were you sitting? Did you not dress warm enough? Did you go up to an usher or EMT stating you weren't feeling well? It was no joke yesterday. Towards the 3rd, my fingers were definitely feeling it, even with glove liners, hand warmers and heavy ski gloves. Same with my toes, with sock liner, hiking socks, toe warmers on the bottom and top of my toes, with winter boots.

I remember seeing the game tying goal and the next thing I know is waking up in the hospital. My friends called the EMT because I wasn't responding. They took me past the players locker room on my way to the ambulance apparently. I can't remember but my friends took photos haha. I'm doing better now.

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
I remember seeing the game tying goal and the next thing I know is waking up in the hospital. My friends called the EMT because I wasn't responding. They took me past the players locker room on my way to the ambulance apparently. I can't remember but my friends took photos haha. I'm doing better now.
Damn!! That's some scary stuff there. Glad you're feeling better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad