Who's better Tavares or Stamkos?

Canuck71*

I see Stamkos play every home game for the Sarnia Sting and as of right now yes I would say that he is the real deal. Id say he is far better than Tavares based on the performance of Tavares everytime Ive seen him play live. Tavares has never really impressed me and doesnt have the speed at all to dominate in the NHL. Stamkos is one of these guys that can doninate on offense with his speed, scoring touch and playmaking abilities. You dont have to worry about Stamkos on defence either because he is always the first backchecker coming back and several coaches/scouts have said incluidng his own coach that he is a very smart and effective player in his own zone. Stamkos is not an overrated player and I think he will prove that to alot of people at the World Juniors this year.

Dave D

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
You do realize the coach decides whether they dump it or carry it in right?

You're joking right. There are players on each team that the coach trusts to make the right play because they are smart players with the puck - everyone else is encouraged to get pucks deep. This isn't minor hockey where everyone plays the same system. There are different rules for different players, that's how it works. Toews is not being told to put the puck deep - he's doing it on his own. If Kane/Lang/Havlat have the puck in the NZ with any kind of speed, they don't dump it in. Watch a little closer, you'll see what I mean.

Firewagon

Jan 26, 2006
JT and SS got some time together today against Salzburg. Without having seen them play together, my first thought is that they would be complementary. I would like to see what they could do, and whether they could win the confidence of Hartsburg together.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I thought we were saying that about Turris already?

Players like Sakic must be pretty plentiful - seems like there's a "next-Sakic" every draft lately. Toews, Turris, Stamkos...if these guys all live up to their potential, we're going to be in a hockey golden age.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Amen, Toews is right now, and will be through out his career, the superior player.

Bigger, stronger, smarter, better hands, better playmaker, future captain.

Kane hasn't scored in over a month, and it seems teams have figured out not only that he can't take the physicality, but what he does when he gets the puck.

better hands? better playmaker? Are you high? Toews is great and its a tough call between the two, but Kane is hands down the better passer, playmaker, and stickhandler. He is 19 and has connolly/datsyuk hands and patience.

War Admiral

Mar 24, 2006
Long Island
Tavares = Bossy/Nieuwendyk
Stamkos = ?

Stamkos, I reckon, will be good for 40 goals and 100 points in the NHL once he hits his prime. He'll also be an excellent two-way player.

Tavares should be good for 50 goals, and at least a 100 points. However, I don't think he's as defensively responsible as Stamkos.

Of the two, I guess I would prefer to have JT, but I wouldn't be surprised if Stamkos has a more productive career in terms of championships because of his balanced game.

I'm not going to make believe I know what Stamkos's ceiling is...but to put Nieuwendyk on the same playing field as Bossy is...is...is....crazy.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
yes, but born 18 dec, 1990, which makes him a 2009 draftee. If Rajala is picked before Hedman and Pääjärvi in the draft Ill walk on my hands to china.

He won't. Unless he grows 3 inches, makes next years WJC team and shows he's better than Pääjärvi. In any case, no matter what happens, he won't be picked before Hedman (well, most likely).

EDIT: Well, you never know who does the picking and who they prefer. But still, not very likely.

white_tiger

Sep 10, 2006
Phoenix
Stamkos will be the next Joe Sakic

Write it down.

INteresting.. Because that what everyone is saying about Turris to:).. Hmm if the Yotes Tank and we can nad Stamkos to? OH Darn Turris,Stamkos,MacLean,Muller,Hanzel .. Man it will suck to be a Yotes fam for years to come:):):):handclap:

WOTR

Jul 26, 2003
You're joking right. There are players on each team that the coach trusts to make the right play because they are smart players with the puck - everyone else is encouraged to get pucks deep. This isn't minor hockey where everyone plays the same system. There are different rules for different players, that's how it works. Toews is not being told to put the puck deep - he's doing it on his own. If Kane/Lang/Havlat have the puck in the NZ with any kind of speed, they don't dump it in. Watch a little closer, you'll see what I mean.

Your fundamental point was that Toew doesn't have the offensive game.

The players ARE being told to dump the puck if there is no play. I do agree that some lines are specified to dump maybe more than others, but they all are told to dump deep if there is nothing there. The coaches and organization has said this publically as a point that they want players to take chances, but be able to recoginize better when there is no play, then dump it in deep. There no question why Toews might be taking this lesson intensely lately and on that account, he might find the fine line a lot quicker than Kane, who is starting to turn it over quite a bit. (I do like Kane)

Toews playing it on the side of caution to avoid turning it over has far more to do with that fact he is playing top six minutes with less than a half a year of NHL experience. He is playing it defensively, sure, but in no way does that support your argument that he has limited offensive creativity.

newfieleafsfan29

Feb 20, 2008
tavares or stamkos

Who would you chose between these to awsome players i'd take stamkos
what do you think????????????????:handclap:

johnny canuckistan

Nov 14, 2006
Tough call. I might take Tavares, just because I've seen more of him and he's a brilliant goal scorer.

I'd rather have both, but if I could have just one I'd go with JT. Stamkos will be an excellent player, though.

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
It's tough. I think Stamkos has more of a chance to reach his talent ceiling but I think that if Tavares does become what he's touted to become, he'll be the better hockey player, maybe a generational talent.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Fo rme, Stamkos is the better player. When I've watched him play, he is everywhere, alway in the action. When he gets the puck, he alway makes a play, and he's alays open. Tavares puts up the numbers, but when I watch him play he just doesn't bring what Stamkos does. He's money below the hashmarks, and he's obviously a very prolific offensive player, but there are serious questions with the rest of his game for me, and that's why I'll take Stamkos, and even if Tavares turns into a 50 goal guy, I will still take Stamkos.

DayQuil*

Both players bring different type's of games... choose Stamkos, if you want a more defensive game from your player, also with the shootout being a big issue in the NHL these days, i think that increases Stamkos' value around the league. Tavares we all know is the goal scorer, but what i love about this kid, is his determination to improve every aspect of his game, and at the same time he is not afraid to acknowledge his weaknesses. Tavares knows he is not a shootout asset, and wasn't afraid to tell the coaching staff that at the world juniors, which showed a great sign of maturity. Another fact for Tavares is that his defensive game has tremendously improved since the begining of the year.

Canuck71*

Both players bring different type's of games... choose Stamkos, if you want a more defensive game from your player, also with the shootout being a big issue in the NHL these days, i think that increases Stamkos' value around the league. Tavares we all know is the goal scorer, but what i love about this kid, is his determination to improve every aspect of his game, and at the same time he is not afraid to acknowledge his weaknesses. Tavares knows he is not a shootout asset, and wasn't afraid to tell the coaching staff that at the world juniors, which showed a great sign of maturity. Another fact for Tavares is that his defensive game has tremendously improved since the begining of the year.

Couldent have said it any better. Im going to take the homer pick and take Stamkos though just because he has proven how talented he is and shows almost no weaknesses anywere in his game, he is even starting to be physical out there. Hopefully he will reach his potential and fill out to be a franchise centerman in the NHL.

StillaTMLfan*

S.Stamkos vs J.Tavares

I have had th previlage of watching both play. Both players will end up being impact players in the nhl one day. Who do you think will end up being the more important to the nhl club they end up with and why?IMO it will be S.Stamkos I absulty love his two way game and he reminds me alot like S.Yzerman.Whereas J.Taveres is more flashy he tends to have defebsive lapses at times.Stamkos all the way IMO:thumbu:

Canuck71*

Stamkos. He just impresses me game after game and rarely ever has a night off. His speed is incredible to watch just to see how fast he can get up to full speed and blow by defenders. He has some great moves to get by defenders and great vision to set up amazing plays. He's starting to become more physical on the ice and he posses a hard shot. He skates hard on the backcheck and he gets back as fast as he can to break up plays. He plays so well in the defensive zone and rarely gets caught out of position. Hes not going to get pushed around on the ice and sticks up for himself and his teammates. Now he's even on the top Penalty Killing unit on the Sting. He actually does it all and there is barely any flaws at all in his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: