Who's better Tavares or Stamkos?

kdfsjljklgjfg

Apr 4, 2007
Gloversville, NY
Tavares put up 58 goals and 46 assists for a total of a 104 point season in 56 games in his most likely final OHL season, for a rate of 1.86 points per game.

Stamkos put up 58 goals and 47 assists for 105 points in his final OHL season, very similar to Tavares' numbers, but Stamkos played 61 games for a 1.72 point per game rate, fairly lower.

If you are to complain that Tavares had matured and developed further as they were born in the same year and Tavares played a season after Stamkos had already moved on...well...Stamkos' final year, Tavares had 40 goals and 78 assists for a total of 118 points in 59 games, at an even 2.0 point per game rate, significantly larger than Stamkos.

Offensively, Tavares is miles better, and Stamkos' 23 goal season did not impress me for the hype he had around him. However, I cannot argue either defensively as I don't follow OHL hockey...at all...but it's not seeming like Stamkos is much better at this point.

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
Tavares hasn't even been drafted yet. I'd give each 3-5 years in the nhl before making any conclusions.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
This is obviously direly important, being Tavares hasn't been drafted and Stamkos finished his first season

It doesn't matter a wink who might be better at this point, regardless of what kind of hype was generated... Tavares deserved every ounce of hype he was receiving. Who really cares who's better right now.

This is about as irrelevant as it gets, except for the fact that there was a thread or two that once discussed the both of them.
:shakehead

hugehockeyfan88

Sep 6, 2008
Stamkos is better because he has already stepped on NHL ice and play a full season in the NHL.
At the end of the 09-10 season, we can answer this question seriously.

DaHabMan

Sep 23, 2008
Lasalle
Stamkos is better because he has already stepped on NHL ice and play a full season in the NHL.
At the end of the 09-10 season, we can answer this question seriously.

no not even in 09-10, you'll have to wait at least 4-5 years to get an accurate idea of whos going to be better and is better. Next year is not a fair comparison, tavares will be in his rookie year while stamlos in his sophomore year.

SnipShow

Mar 12, 2009
U.S.A.
I don't understand what Tavares has to do to earn respect around here, maybe he has to have a 50 goal season shooting right handed to impress people around here....:sarcasm:

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
If you go purely on their careers before the NHL, I would say Tavares is better than Stamkos.

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
1990 Birth Year Rankings

Incidently, a couple weeks ago Garl and I had a little debate regarding 1990 YoB players. Below is my ranking:

1990 YoBs
  1. Steven Stamkos
  2. Nikita Filatov
  3. Cody Hodgson
  4. John Tavares
  5. Victor Hedman
  6. Zach Bogosian
  7. Jacob Markstrom
  8. John Carlson
  9. Alex Pietrangelo
  10. Tyler Myers
  11. Erik Karlsson
  12. Luca Sbisa
  13. Dmitri Kulikov
  14. David Rundblad
  15. Jake Allen
  16. Evgeny Grachev
  17. Nazem Kadri
  18. Jordan Shroeder

And below is his 1990 BD ranking:

1/2.Hedman/Tavares
3.Stamkos
4.Bogosian
5.Fialtov
6.Hodgson
7.Rundblad
8.Kulikov
9.Markstrom
10.Pieterangelo

Once again based on what will one of this guys be ranked ahead of Tavares and Hedman? Yeah this 6'7 227 defensemen that dominate senior leagues are so dull. There tons of them around yeah?

Both Tavares and Hedman had great seasons. Tavares recieved MVP at WJC, Hedman rookie of the year in SEL, and 21 pts is insane for 17-18 y.o defrenseman. Sad that people can't appreciate this. There's absolutelyy no way Filatov and Hodgson to be ranked ahead of Hedman and Tavares at this point, just no way.
Filatov in his draft year played in russian 3rd tier, Hedman dominated in swedish 1st tier and was close to make swedish WC team.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Tavares put up 58 goals and 46 assists for a total of a 104 point season in 56 games in his most likely final OHL season, for a rate of 1.86 points per game.

Stamkos put up 58 goals and 47 assists for 105 points in his final OHL season, very similar to Tavares' numbers, but Stamkos played 61 games for a 1.72 point per game rate, fairly lower.

If you are to complain that Tavares had matured and developed further as they were born in the same year and Tavares played a season after Stamkos had already moved on...well...Stamkos' final year, Tavares had 40 goals and 78 assists for a total of 118 points in 59 games, at an even 2.0 point per game rate, significantly larger than Stamkos.

Offensively, Tavares is miles better, and Stamkos' 23 goal season did not impress me for the hype he had around him. However, I cannot argue either defensively as I don't follow OHL hockey...at all...but it's not seeming like Stamkos is much better at this point.

Stamkos all around game is going to be better than Tavares imo. I also think Stamkos skating ability is miles better. While the poster kind of made a fool of himself by acting as if no one could possibly like Tavares better at this point, I do think Stamkos is the better player for the future. 23 goals isnt 50 but the kid was 18. Stamkos is also only 7 months older than Tavares so there isnt a huge difference. Stamkos started out slow for sure but 46 pts in his 18 yo season really is not bad considering how little ice time he was getting for most of the season.

JL17

Mar 12, 2009
London
This is at the junior level

Stamkos better skater.
Stamkos better all around player.
Equal in goal scoring- both sat in their cozy spots on the PP and rifled shots home.
Tavares- slightly better passer not by much.
Equal in shot-both are above average for 90's.
Stamkos better at battling for pucks and not being afraid.
Don't know who's the better leader.

Next year in the NHL I can see Steve with a 40 goal year. He's been one of the best at the World Championship.

You really can't compare WJC experience. Both were on the team in 08 and played sparingly. But both had an impact. JT had Hodgson and Eberle with him on the PP. Stamkos was never the main guys like JT was this past year.

When they both played 2 or 3 years in the NHL I'll make the who's better decision.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

Wow. What's up with Tavares bashing?

Happens every year.

The closer we get to the draft, the more the consensus #1 pick gets bashed.

Soon, we'll be hearing that next years draft class is going to be deeper than this years class along with the top five projected picks next year being better than the top 5 from this year.

As May turns to June and the Draft gets closer, the bashing will intensify until Tavares gets selected #1 and then everyone will say it was a no brainer.

Happens EVERY YEAR

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
This is at the junior level

Stamkos better skater.
Stamkos better all around player.
Equal in goal scoring- both sat in their cozy spots on the PP and rifled shots home.
Tavares- slightly better passer not by much.
Equal in shot-both are above average for 90's.
Stamkos better at battling for pucks and not being afraid.
Don't know who's the better leader.

Next year in the NHL I can see Steve with a 40 goal year. He's been one of the best at the World Championship.

You really can't compare WJC experience. Both were on the team in 08 and played sparingly. But both had an impact. JT had Hodgson and Eberle with him on the PP. Stamkos was never the main guys like JT was this past year.

When they both played 2 or 3 years in the NHL I'll make the who's better decision.

Revisiting WJC08

I definitely thought that Stamkos was better than Tavares in the WJC08. You could see in that tournament Stamkos plays a more mature, responsible game. They played on the same line, and Tavares was good no doubt, but Stamkos' skating ability set him apart, and allowed him to help out much more defensively. Offensively it was a wash. Different type of offensive players, but none set themselves apart from the other

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
More than a year ago, TSN did a mini-poll among a considerable number of scouts, and nearly all of them considered Stamkos to be the better prospect - due primarily to the skating factor. I doubt it has changed a lot over the past year. Can't seem to find a link, sorry.

cheers

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
You'll get a better look at what Stamkos is capable of in 09-10. Melrose really stunted his growth and you're seeing the real Stamkos stretching his legs in the world champs right now. He and St. Louis look stellar.

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
Maybe i'm in the severe minority here, but I think Stamkos is only going to end up as good as Sam Gagner. Which I think is still really good, but not at the Patrick Kane level that people were touting him as.

I'm almost positive they've had similar stats (I know that doesn't mean much.) throughout their careers. But when I watch them play, although they have different skill sets, their total output seems the same.

Now the question of will Tavaras peak at those two's potential too? I don't think so. When Tavaras has a bad game he can still find a way to put up points. I think he'll peak higher, but maybe that's just me.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Tavares is better. No question about it. People just pick apart every little bit of his game because he's been in the OHL so long. The guy could have played in the NHL this season and I'm willing to bet he'd have been more productive than Stamkos.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad