Who's better Tavares or Stamkos?

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Tavares was the 4th most hyped player I can think of.

Lindros, Crosby and Lemieux being the other 3

I dont think people expected him to be the next "great one" by the time his draft year rolled around, but when he was 13-16 he was suppose to be.

Hockify

Mar 27, 2008
New York
tavares ainec.

his agents tried to get him declared eligible for the 2008 draft...and when that didn't work he tried to go to the ahl. also you would hear about him a lot more in the main stream media than stamkos.

No he didn't the Maple Leafs were the ones trying to see if they could do that. They were jonesing for him bad.

KingJet*

I bet if it was JT's draft year, LA might of won the lottery and would've taken JT, and then Tampa took Stamkos, and I think he would've had a more produceable rookie year.

zeus3007*

In 2005, there was a high end hockey card set released (over 100 bucks a pack if I remember right) featuring only 3 players. Sidney Crosby, Alexander Ovechkin, and John Tavares. If that doesn't tell you the Tavares hype, nothing will, ha ha.

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
Tavares. As much as Spezza was. Stamkos was great in years Junior years but i dont believe he showed the potential that his displaying.

I think scouts agreed he could score 30-40 maybe 50 here and there but not 60.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
since the lock out

crosby > tavares >>>>> Mackinnon = Yakupov = Stamkos > RNH > Kane > Hall > Johnsson
there was a serious push to allow tavares to get drafted a year early because eof how amazing he was in juniors and the fact that he started juniors at 15 instead of 16 because, and after breaking gretzky's ohl record he was worthy of that hype

I agree with your choosing of Crosby and Tavares a couple of levels above the rest and with MacKinnon being 3rd although he still has to live up to the immense hype in his draft year which is tough with all the pressure that comes with it but disagree with the others.
I would say.....

Crosby>>Tavares>>MacKinnon>Yakupov>Hall>/=Stamkos>Johnson>>Kane>RNH

arsmaster*

JT had had the most hype of any prospect ever.

More than Crosby more than Ovie, the exceptional status created it. Breaking Gretzky's records as a 16 year old compounded it.

toob

Dec 31, 2010
Tavares by quite a lot breaking Gretzky's record blah blah blah

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

More than Crosby more than Ovie, the exceptional status created it. Breaking Gretzky's records as a 16 year old compounded it.

I'm not sure about that. I remember Crosby being a 10 out of 10 surefire generational talent. Tavares had his fair share of hype of course but there were some questions about his skating leading up to the draft, i don't remember there being any questions about Crosby's game.

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
I agree with your choosing of Crosby and Tavares a couple of levels above the rest and with MacKinnon being 3rd although he still has to live up to the immense hype in his draft year which is tough with all the pressure that comes with it but disagree with the others.
I would say.....

Crosby>>Tavares>>MacKinnon>Yakupov>Hall>/=Stamkos>Johnson>>Kane>RNH

I watch alot of hockey but who the heck is Johnson?

Ironslave

May 22, 2008
Definitely would have been interesting. At the same time when Bob McKenzie did his "poll 10 scouts" for his annual final draft rankings he also asked the question of if eligible, would you take Stamkos or Tavares? 7 of 10 said Stamkos would have been their selection, which at the time, floored me. Tavares certainly had more hype prior to his draft year.

I was going to post this exact same comment. Tavares definitely had more/longer hype, but Stamkos had "quiet hype" and was probably projected as the better player by scouts. Remember, it was not a slam dunk consensus Tavares was going 1st overall over Hedman and Duchense.

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Tavares. He has a long way to go untill he can put up Stamkos like numbers. When Tavares gets an elite playmaking winger maybe we will see him post 50+ goals. But as I see it now Stamkos will be the best goal scorer for seasons to come.

Ironslave

May 22, 2008

Not true. The 2005 draft was the "Sidney Crosby sweepstakes". I would think Lindros or Lemieux were the most hyped prospects ever, but Crosby wasn't that far behind them.

Tavares definitely got a lot of hype for a long time, but he was by no means more hyped than Crosby, and certainly not even close to being as hyped as the same potential prospect.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Tavares no doubt. The next big thing etc etc. not Crosby level, but just a step below.

Stamkos was a good player, but he had competition with Doughty (and if I remember, some considered Bogosian and Filatov).

ed bruin

Feb 14, 2010
Newton
If the internet was around the time Daigle, do you think he would have been as hyped as Tavares or Stamkos?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad