Who's better Tavares or Stamkos?

crthomp

Apr 18, 2007
Stamkos now or Tavares this time next year

Who would you rather have and why, Steve Stamkos right now or John Tavares this time next year.

So I'm not asking who is better as of right now, cause I know a lot of people would say Stamkos, I'm asking at this time next year will Tavares game be better than stamkos right now?

What are your thoughts?

Diamond Joe

Apr 7, 2007
Toronto, ON
I would say it depends on the team I have. If my team is a skating team I probably have to go with Stamkos, someone who will carry the play over the line and make something happen either by dishing the puck or scoring. If my team prides itself on possession I'd probably have to go with Tavares, a guy who if given the puck anywhere from inside the top of the circles is going to make a team pay, someone who can carry the puck out of the corner and score. However with Tavares' stats this year and the inherent idea that he's becoming more well-rounded maybe he doesn't necessarily do nothing but score, maybe he plays the point on the PP on occasion. All depends on what kind of team I have now...not saying pick for need necessarily but they're both different players and I believe Tavares with all the hype will maybe be more of a pure point producer.

WeSt_CoAsT_eXpReSs

Dec 29, 2005
Surrey. B.C.
Hm the last post about type of play makes sense ... but i think most teams that pick these players will be dictating the type of play that the team will utilize. But all in all I would most likely choose Tavares higher ceiling ... seems like a player that could do more with less and i think this kid is bored waiting till he hits the NHL

deanosaur

Feb 17, 2008
AB/MB
I would say it depends on the team I have. If my team is a skating team I probably have to go with Stamkos, someone who will carry the play over the line and make something happen either by dishing the puck or scoring. If my team prides itself on possession I'd probably have to go with Tavares, a guy who if given the puck anywhere from inside the top of the circles is going to make a team pay, someone who can carry the puck out of the corner and score. However with Tavares' stats this year and the inherent idea that he's becoming more well-rounded maybe he doesn't necessarily do nothing but score, maybe he plays the point on the PP on occasion. All depends on what kind of team I have now...not saying pick for need necessarily but they're both different players and I believe Tavares with all the hype will maybe be more of a pure point producer.

well said. i like that alot actually.
stamkos would thrive off playing on a team like oilers where they do lots of skating
tavares would look good ina wings jersey as they are puck possession, as ive been told.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
I'd take Tavares, just because I think his upside is bigger. He could establish himself as one of those top generational players like a Sakic/Yzerman/Francis in their time IMO. I don't think Stamkos potential could reach that, although he could be a perennial all-star. I could be totally wrong, just saying I'd take Tavares.

GarretJoseph*

I think the Islanders need to tank the season next year to land him.. if hes as good as crosby then he might help them get a new arena and bring them back to the glory days..ect..ect...

they need to do something & i'm a nyr fan.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I think the Islanders need to tank the season next year to land him.. if hes as good as crosby then he might help them get a new arena and bring them back to the glory days..ect..ect...

I dont really think you need to tank to last place, pretty much the entire top 5 will give you a shot at something really special. Hedman and Paarjavi might even be superior to Tavares in 5 years.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Stamkos. For the bird in hand value. He already has the skating, he can show a bit of a chip on his shoulder at times, he also skates back pretty well too. It could be argued that as such, you can maybe already set a ceiling on his upside more easily, because there isn't going to be any sudden surges ahead in his fundamentals, he's already doing so much.

Whereas you might find yourself wondering how amazing Tavares would be if he picked up another gear, or played with higher intensity, or hustled back on D better. Granted he has made commendable improvements in those areas already this season. But he still has more ground to make up before he matches Stamkos IMHO.

Probably... probably... Tavares'll develop enough to indeed match or surpass Stamkos for overall impact eventually. But I'd be happy enough with Stamkos that I wouldn't feel a need to even take the small amount of risk associated with a "probably" on Tavares.

Bullet

Jul 17, 2007
Tampa Bay area

The Islanders would only trade him away for peanuts like they did with Luongo, Bertuzzi, McCabe, Chara, Jokinen ect.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
When I've watched them live, it isn't even close. Tavares puts up points and is so dangerous down low, but Stamkos is literally EVERYWHERE. He has so much energy, does something with the puck every time, and is always a threat. He backchecks hard and has excellent positioning. His offensive upside may not be as high but I think Stamkos will be a better pro than Tavares.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Who would you rather have

A 90-100 point scorer

OR

A 70-90 point scorer who plays two-way hockey

Boyesfan

Feb 4, 2008
I wonder if the blues will suck bad enough to get him.... I know a lot of blues fans want the blues to spend like Philly did but I am all for sucking at least one more year and have another top pick.. And hopefully grab him..

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Tavares no question

Stamkos is an incredible player too, but Tavares just has too much of a skill set. The things he can do with the puck are incredible

On big ice in the WJC we saw the "average" skating Tavares rise up the ranks and gain regular ice time. Tavares always seemed to setting up plays and opening up the ice. Stamkos was good too, but he didnt stand out as much as other guys like Halsichuk, Mathias, Turris and Tavares.

In the O, he uses his size and just dominates. His point total says that. Now even though he had less points this year, his PPG was the same. He also had 72 assists (around there) and showed his ability to set up

Now Tavares could have a bad year next year, but we never know. Based on what ive seen of both (about 10 games each in the O) + an extra year of development for tavares, i see tavares as better

The Hockey Hitman

Jul 26, 2006
I'd love to have this problem...."hey, which guy do you want Stamkos or Tavares?"

Theres really not a wrong answer, or a right answer to this question. Both players will be elite scorers in the league. Stamkos is seemingly a more complete player overall in terms of two way ability. Its a shame that Tavares can't enter the league right now along with Stamkos.

I'm just happy that the Lightning's season isnt' a total loss, that we get to draft Stamkos and I'm really looking forward to seeing this kid in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad