Who's better Tavares or Stamkos?

Oshie26

Jun 27, 2006
Your kidding right? Tavares won the CHL Rookie of the Year Award as a 15 year old. And you are actually comparing them?

Samshow

Aug 4, 2006
Ontario
i have yet to see del Zotto play in the o but at the ohl cup he looked unreal id say that tavares looks better right now then stamkos but givin time i think stamkos will be more of a threat on the ice

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
i love stamkos, but tavares is up there with malkin, crosby and ovechkin imo. not even close.

puckyou

Nov 12, 2006
Hey, Stamkos is lighting it up right now, more so than Tavares! And you think I am kidding?

Stamkos is lighting it up more than Tavares, how do you figure?!?

Stamkos -- 18 goals in 21 games (average of 0.857 goals per game)
Tavares -- 16 goals in 18 games (average of 0.888 goals per game)

And Tavares is seven months younger than Stamkos, with an additional year of OHL experience under his belt.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Yeah, I know, he sucks. Nearly a goal per game at age 16 and two months is awful. :shakehead

:biglaugh:

I agree man, that's a ridiculous statement.

The kid scored 45 goals in 65 games in a league that's DOMINATED by 17-19 year olds. John Tavares is something special, people. I would not be the least bit surprised to see him score 50 in the NHL one day. He's going to be a generational talent, and I can only hope the Rangers can fall far down in the standings in his year to get him.

Oh yeah and anyone who wants to argue that his stats were a bi-product of playing with overager Peter Tsimikalis... you're out of your minds. Just take a look at where Tsimikalis is now, and what he's doing.

Tavares was basically a one-man wrecking crew last year at the age of 15...

That is just unreal.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki

So what happened to him? Has his developement stopped or just slowed down?

And score 50 goals in the NHL? Is that like a special feat or something? Everyone is doing it. This kid has been hyped practically since he was 8, he has to break Gretzky records to reach that hype.

And anyone who thinks I'm being serious should just... Hell, I don't know what they should do since I've never made a mistake like that, but the point is, I'm not serious, I'm just sick of the hype these guys get and the disappointment that follows if you actually believe every word.

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
So what happened to him? Has his developement stopped or just slowed down?

And score 50 goals in the NHL? Is that like a special feat or something? Everyone is doing it. This kid has been hyped practically since he was 8, he has to break Gretzky records to reach that hype.

And anyone who thinks I'm being serious should just... Hell, I don't know what they should do since I've never made a mistake like that, but the point is, I'm not serious, I'm just sick of the hype these guys get and the disappointment that follows if you actually believe every word.

Ero, maybe the math gets lost in the English-Finnish translation, but he hasn't slowed down.

Last year, he scored 45 in 65 games, and average of 0.692 goals per game. And this year, as mentioned above, he has 16 in 18 games for an average of 0.888 per game. I'm no math major, but it seems to me that he's picked up his scoring pace.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I think Stamkos will be the better pro--I think he's better defensively that Tavares ever will be...and if their offense is on a par,then take the beterr 2-way guy...

Oshie26

Jun 27, 2006
Hey, Stamkos is lighting it up right now, more so than Tavares! And you think I am kidding?

I hope your kidding.

Stamkos has played two more games, with two more points and two more powerplay points. Stamkos is playing with a better core with guys like Trevor Kell and Harrison Reed. Their whole team is basically plus in the plus/minus category.

Tavares is playing with a weaker bunch of guys. Only four guys on the team aren't minus and he is one of them. He holds a bigger load than Stamkos with more expectations and a bigger role in the locker room.

Overall, both of these players are good. The fact is, Tavares is still playing good hockey and is still a better player than Stamkos. The fact that he has played in the league longer and won't get drafted until 2009, unlike Stamkos who will go in 2008, is phenominal. Stamkos is playing just like Tavares did last year. The thing is, Tavares has more experience and will be a better player in the long run. The 1990 birthyear is one of the strongest birth years in a long time. It will be an exciting 08 and 09 draft.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
The 1990 birthyear is one of the strongest birth years in a long time. It will be an exciting 08 and 09 draft.

You got that right. I already can not wait for that '09 draft. Though things can change by then, it's looking to be something else.

Don Draper

Feb 7, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
If Tavares just continues at his current pace for the next 2.5 years without improving, he will go down as the OHLs highest goalscorer in league history. The players on the top of that list played 5 seasons and were overagers by the end. He could end up smashing the goalscoring mark if he really picks it up and gets some solid help around him. He could even be at the top of the point totals as well.

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
I wasn't diminishing Stamkos with my earlier comments -- he could be a frequent All-Star and be quite a nice sniper for a lot of years in the NHL. But Tavares could be a Hall of Famer. His talent level is that good.

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
Upon reading this thread today, I e-mailed with a buddy who works in the OHL, and here's what he replied with:

"Tavares is a stud. Big, strong, great hands. They say there are questions about his skating but he reminds of Rick Nash in that he seems to get where he's going and doesn't get beat to too many loose pucks.

Last week Pete Peeters was working with Bryan Pitton, an Oilers draftee. I asked Peeters what he thought of Tavares and he said he looks like he could be another Joe Thornton.

Stamkos is terrific. Reminds me a bit of Corey Perry. I'd say he's close to Tavares."

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Ero, maybe the math gets lost in the English-Finnish translation, but he hasn't slowed down.

Last year, he scored 45 in 65 games, and average of 0.692 goals per game. And this year, as mentioned above, he has 16 in 18 games for an average of 0.888 per game. I'm no math major, but it seems to me that he's picked up his scoring pace.

Well that's not much. He should be dominating right about now.

Entrancemperium

Jul 30, 2005
:biglaugh:

I agree man, that's a ridiculous statement.

The kid scored 45 goals in 65 games in a league that's DOMINATED by 17-19 year olds. John Tavares is something special, people. I would not be the least bit surprised to see him score 50 in the NHL one day. He's going to be a generational talent, and I can only hope the Rangers can fall far down in the standings in his year to get him.
Oh yeah and anyone who wants to argue that his stats were a bi-product of playing with overager Peter Tsimikalis... you're out of your minds. Just take a look at where Tsimikalis is now, and what he's doing.

That is just unreal.

Well we're due for a number one pick so from your lips to gods ears buddy even though I don't want my beloved blueshirts to suck I think getting Tavares will benefit us for the future but it's a long time untill it's draft day for the kid.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Uhhh, a goal per game pace puts him at around 60-65 goals on the year in the OHL as a 16 year old. I don't care who you are thats absolutely amazing.

I just think that after hype like that he should be breaking some records, not just being amazing.

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
I just think that after hype like that he should be breaking some records, not just being amazing.

Dude, you're killing me! ;)

With two seasons left to go before he was drafted, Sidney Crosby scored 72 goals in 57 games at Shattuck St. Mary's prep school. Tavares is on pace for 57 goals this season (if he plays all 68 of Oshawa's game) against much tougher competition, after scoring 45 times as a 15-year-old against that same impressive competition.

If you want to compare them based on age instead of just relative to their draft year, Crosby was young for his draft year while Tavares is old for his. Sid scored 54 goals in 59 games with Rimouski in 2003-04, the year just after he turned 16. That works out to .915 goals per game.

Tavares now has 17 goals in 20 games (.850 per game) in a league that is much less offensively oriented, and he just turned 16 seven weeks ago.

I don't know what else we can do or say to convince you that what Tavares is doing is exceptional, but it truly is. He's an amazing player.

puckyou

Nov 12, 2006
Tavares with a hat trick today -- 20 goals in 21 games now. He's now on pace for 64 goals.

Also had an assist, giving him 34 points, putting him on pace for 110 points after scoring 77 points in 65 games last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad