Who won the Huberdeau-matthew tkachuk trade?

Who won?

• Florida

Votes: 224 31.0%
  • Calgary

Votes: 386 53.5%
  • Even

Votes: 112 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I like this trade for both teams all things considered.
Florida got a great young player locked up for his entire prime. They paid a high price but Tkachuk is 24 and has a lot of elite seasons ahead of him. They may take a bit of a step back but not much and this trade keeps them in contention longer.

Calgary got an absolute haul considering they were trading a player everyone knew they were trying to trade. Huberdeau may even be the best player next season he was this season IMO but it was close. But he is older and not under team control past this season. Weegar is also good but not locked up for long. If Calgary can get them signed great. If not they should bring back some strong futures.
What they absolutely can’t do is let them play out the season and both leave as UFAs. Especially Hubs.

Tkachuk will not produce anywhere close to Huberdeau did without Barkov. Maybe even with him.
He is a 70 pt player driving his own line or with guy like Bennett

Not sure how the Florida guys will do in Calgary but I think Huberdeau will be fine with Lindholm
I don’t think it would really surprise anyone if Huberdeau is a better offensive player than Tkachuk this season. But Tkachuk brings a lot more away from the puck than Huberdeau does.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Tkachuk will not produce anywhere close to Huberdeau did without Barkov. Maybe even with him.
He is a 70 pt player driving his own line or with guy like Bennett

Not sure how the Florida guys will do in Calgary but I think Huberdeau will be fine with Lindholm

You saying Lindholm elevates his linemates better than Barkov does/will?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
You saying Lindholm elevates his linemates better than Barkov does/will?
No, I am saying Huberdeau is the line driver, he makes his line mates better. If he can get that many points with Bennett, he can with Lindholm.

Tkachuk does not have the same ability. He will do well with Barkov. He will not do well with Bennett.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
On the contrary, extending Huberdeau will probably lead in a horrible contract for a player in his 30s.
Wishful thinking from an Oilers fan. Players with extremely elite hockey sense age well. He isn't small either so his body should hold up. I really hope for Flames fans that they extend. I also see alot of Flames fans saying Weegar will be their 4th best D. You're going to be pleasantly surprised.... I honestly don't think that you're team is any worse than the start of the offseason. Huberdeau is the best player in the deal better than Gaudreau too. Weegar really impacts a game. Find a way to sign Kadri. The Flames will be way better than last year.

As a sens fan it's great to see atleast one team in the division get worse. No idea what Zito is doing here.

• Haha
Reactions: Rengorlex

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
It was a win for Flames the second that trade was made but in the long term it could work out better for the Panthers only time will tell

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Calgary puts themselves in a good position to make playoffs by the deadline (or has a good shot) in a somewhat open pacific with Weegar and Huberdeau. Bank that they are going for career years to up their next deal in doing so.

Calgary trades Weegar for first and almost ready forward prospect, Calgary trades Huberdeau for impact roster player and first round prospect. Both at 50% retained to maximize return.

Calgary then throws their hat in the ring in the playoffs with this line-up:

Mangi - Lindholm - Toffoli
impact roster player - Backlund - Coleman
Pelletier - Monahan - Dube
Lucic - upcoming prospect - Lewis

Hanifin - Andersson
Kylington - Tanev
Trade for someone at deadline - Zadorov

Markstrom

Basically get the most out of Huberdeau and Weegar during the season, roll the dice during the playoffs while still acquiring
assets towards the future. Best of both worlds.

Assuming Huberdeau wants to test the market of course.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I don't understand people saying it's a fleece, Huberdeau and Weegar are going to test the market. Not sure how 1 year of them vs 9 years of matthew tkachuk is better for Calgary than Florida?

Why would Huberdeau have tested the market? He was happy in Florida and by all accounts would have signed an extension. He's also the better player. Older sure. but better and still in his 20s. The value to me is:

Huberdeau staying in Florida > Tkachuk in Florida > Huberdeau in Calgary > Everything else

So - maybe Tkachuk in Florida is more valuable than Huberdeau in Calgary - but Huberdeau in Florida was more valuable still. So it was a dumb trade

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Florida gave up a top line forward (and probably a top 10-15 forward overall), a 3D and a first.

It’s insane.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I'd take 9 years of 24 year old Tkachuk over one year of 29 yr old UFA Huberdeau every day of the week. And even if Huberdeau re-signs with Calgary for 8 more years... I'd still take the much younger Tkachuk over that.

Tkachuk was 100% leaving Calgary soon anyway, so for Calgary it's......

1 year of Tkachuk
vs.
1 year of Huberdeau & Weegar(with a strong likelyhood of much more), plus Schwindt & a 1st.

Massive win for Calgary.

Also a lesser win for Florida, but they gave up a LOT to get their new guy.

Reactions: North Cole

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Huberdeau UFA 2023
Weegar UFA 2023
Late 1st
prospect

for

Tkachuk 8yrs/9,5M

Huby will command 10-11M/yr and Weegar 7-8M/yr. Huby likely wants his last long contract and so do Weegar. Florida couldnt afford both, so they signed a young PPG powerforward instead. I`d say Florida isthe winner in the long run, but Calgary won for next year.

Huberdeau UFA 2023
Weegar UFA 2023
Late 1st
prospect

for

Tkachuk 8yrs/9,5M

Huby will command 10-11M/yr and Weegar 7-8M/yr. Huby likely wants his last long contract and so do Weegar. Florida couldnt afford both, so they signed a young PPG powerforward instead. I`d say Florida isthe winner in the long run, but Calgary won for next year.
If I were Calgary I`d retain 50% on both and flip them for prospects + pics. They would get a haul.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Tkachuk was 100% leaving Calgary soon anyway, so for Calgary it's......

1 year of Tkachuk
vs.
1 year of Huberdeau & Weegar(with a strong likelyhood of much more), plus Schwindt & a 1st.

Massive win for Calgary.

Also a lesser win for Florida, but they gave up a LOT to get their new guy.

Uh it's not anything massive for Calgary if they don't sign Weegar AND Huberdeau.
But yes we know you hate on Florida any chance ya can.

We know your team doesn't know how to pull off a massive trade so you're new to this

Last edited:

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Until we know what happens with Weegar and Huberdeau it's even. If they sign or get turned into other top assets it's a resounding W for Calgary. If they walk Florida takes the W.

Reactions: I am not exposed

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Why would Huberdeau have tested the market? He was happy in Florida and by all accounts would have signed an extension. He's also the better player. Older sure. but better and still in his 20s. The value to me is:

Huberdeau staying in Florida > Tkachuk in Florida > Huberdeau in Calgary > Everything else

So - maybe Tkachuk in Florida is more valuable than Huberdeau in Calgary - but Huberdeau in Florida was more valuable still. So it was a dumb trade
You are forgetting age: Huberdeau’s 31-38 year seasons are less valuable than Tkachuk’s 24-31 year seasons on his next contract.

With this in mind. I have no idea who won and won’t try to figure it out until we see how each plays with each team.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Explain this massive win then?

Calgary got the best player in the deal, plus a good D-man, plus a prospect, plus a 1st round pick.

Huberdeau & Weegar will sign. Just wait a tick & see.

images.jpg

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Calgary got the best player in the deal, plus a good D-man, plus a prospect, plus a 1st round pick.

Huberdeau & Weegar will sign. Just wait a tick & see.

View attachment 572357

Calgary have the 8th year option for Huberdeau but he will want a lot of signing bonus money, not sure if the Gaudreau offer had that included?

Both of them will cost $16 or so million combined for at least 6-7 years

I see Weegar staying more than Huberdeau but we shall see. He's gonna want at least $6 million in my opinion.

I think this works for both teams in terms of their current plans.

If Treliving can re-sign one of the two and possibly flip the other while using that 2025 1st in a package for another player, could be a really slick move for CGY
He extends his window by a year and can now trade a defenseman and get a forward back.

Florida gets a prime aged top line winger, 30-35 goals and 80-90 pts if paired with Barkov and on the top PP.
Florida can recoup some of the lost draft capital with Duclair and Bennett end of this year.

After this year, Florida's cap opens back up and Bob will be eventually moved within next 2 offseasons.

We still have some solid forward prospects, Zito just needs to focus on building up that defense.

I like it for both teams but will agree, wish Florida kept one of Schwindt or the 1st but not worried about that for next few years.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
TL;DR - IMO, in a vacuum and with the known external factors taken away, I think it's relatively even.

With factors added in, Florida fans should be mad they paid more than expected, but should be happy with the player they got. Calgary fans are happy we got a way better deal than expected and we'll take that part of the victory lap for now. There are still many options on the pieces we received, so it's possible we could run a few more individual victory laps, or we might end up back tracking that initial victory lap.

I think both teams take a half step back in anticipation of several leaps forward though.

===========

Overall, I think it's even. There's even a slight bizarre facet to the trade where Calgary negotiated the deal to sign and trade and Zito paid the premium for that convenience, which perhaps is where the Scwindt and first come into play. I don't get why, but OK, but I think that was priced in. Heck, there's gotta be something specific that Zito paid Treliving a premium for beyond the assets swapped because it's also crazy for the timing of the deal to be consummated. It couldn't wait for the weekend to be over to be announced? It had to the Friday night?

Maybe it could be broken down to:
- Tkachuck @ 8 years for Weegar + Huberdeau @ 1 year
- Treliving doing work to extending Tkachuk camp, taking on risk/extra work on Weegar/Huberdeau deals and/or extra work to flip them, bidding war premium/quality for quantity for assets value (not skill), Zito convenience for the first and Schwindt.

But with circumstances known, I think Calgary got way more than any Flames fan ever expected. We were expecting a full on fleecing of our own. The fact we didn't get a full on fleecing was it's own victory lap. The rumored Blues deal was more what we were expecting so we got an absolute windfall.

Florida gets that top tier unicorn player they want and restructures their core to fit it in for an expected long period of contention. I've always thought it, but I have no doubt in my mind now that Zito loved what Calgary was attempting to build without elite talent/with some misfit styled pieces combined together. I think that's why he chased pieces like Bennett, Lomberg and now Tkachuk, and guys like Marchment really were excellent and exciting in that core. I wouldn't be surprised if he looked into Hathaway and other players of that ilk going forward. TBH, I think Florida fans also enjoy that style, no?

But I think somehow Zito hates dealing with contract extensions. I think that's why a few players walked and it seems Weegar and Huberdeau didn't even get counter offers. He almost straight up didn't seem interested at all. Treliving loves that stuff, so he swooped in and got value for giving Zito that type of convenience. Zito didn't even need to deal with the Tkachuk clan for the contract. Treliving did all of that and likely may have to do more with no guaranteed reward for putting in those negotiating efforts.

Calgary gets assets that fits a continued playoff mandate that the owners want, but gets a ton of flexibility in terms of both contending, retooling or rebuilding. Calgary also has the ability to add value to the deal purely by putting in some elbow grease and extending the players to a reasonable contract or retain and boost the asset trade values. But the whole situation isn't without risk and the whole damn thing requires a ton of elbow grease as well for Treliving to make it work.

For a retool contention, those that say the contracts of Weegar and Huberdeau might suck in the latter half, who cares. Their contract extension would also fit well when major Flames contracts expire, so it's a good fit for the cap structure. Trade them to their preferred destination for good value later on. If they won't re-sign and we are contending, then we flip them for a haul and likely for more contracts like this. If they won't re-sign and we rebuild, then we chase futures. It's actually insane how well this deal seems to fit for both sides longer term, even if things aren't completely apparent right now.

Most fans want and love a dynasty, but let's be honest. Calgary isn't going to accomplish that and even if they did, the process might take a decade. This especially not when Florida and Colorado and a few other teams are already looking to be well positioned in making those 5+ year contender teams with home grown talent; a few teams are also looking to be growing into their frames as well to be those 5+ year contenders (ie: Ottawa); and tank ultra teams that look to be impossible to chase to rock bottom.

If gambling is the metaphor, most fans love that roulette win. Treliving's plan (because ownership is always playoff mandate) seems to be 2-3 year roster retools and steady incremental movements upwards playing black jack. Those seem to be his restrictions and he's navigating them seemingly quite well so far IMO. NGL, I was crushed hearing that we were losing both JG and Tkachuk. I thought this coming season wouldn't be enjoyable at all. Treliving pulled an absolute rabbit out of his hat. I'm quite excited for this coming season. That on its own is its own victory lap as well.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
You are forgetting age: Huberdeau’s 31-38 year seasons are less valuable than Tkachuk’s 24-31 year seasons on his next contract.

With this in mind. I have no idea who won and won’t try to figure it out until we see how each plays with each team.

Huberdeau is definitely a better player than Tkachuk. He's had 4 very consistent years, and came a hair from winning the Ross this year. He is older, and will decline faster sure, but nothing hints at him slowing down in the next ~2-3 years yet based on 4 very consistent years in a row, and his best one yet in 2022.

Tkachuk - fantastic season obviously. But so much of the hockey world seems to think Gaudreau inflated his numbers a lot - he's not nearly as good offensively without him.

Will 8 years of Takchuk be more valuable to Florida than 7-8 years - or less - of Huberdeau would have been? Maybe - but I think there's a very very good argument to make that Hubedreau > Tkachuk next 3 years. And Florida wants to win now, so that should be the most valuable consideration, the next ~3 years. And having said all of that - we're still talking a 1 for 1 trade value. Florida added a whole lot on top of Huberdeau for this trade.

You're right that both teams got a lot - so it's still possible this can be a win/win, or even that Florida somehow ends up a big winner. But this sure seems very lopsided and overpayment as of today.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I honestly can’t believe how the media is trying to spin this as a win-win. It’s a fleecing.

They bring in Huberdeau and Weegar and try to sign them. If they can’t? Trade them at the deadline for ridiculous returns.

You either are a much better team with those 2 going forward, or you get rid of them and begin maybe the fastest rebuild the world has ever seen.

• Haha
Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad