Who won the Huberdeau-matthew tkachuk trade?

Who won?

• Florida

Votes: 224 31.0%
  • Calgary

Votes: 386 53.5%
  • Even

Votes: 112 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Impossible to evaluate right now. If they can extend both, cgy wins. But I doubt they keep either one.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's not obvious yet. Let's see if Calgary can sign Huberdeau.

For Florida, there has been some dissatisfaction with Huberdeau for a long time and since they weren't signing him, they moved him for a guy that is a more total package. They got their fit.

RapidKnight

Dec 29, 2021
In a vacuum it’s certainly Calgary but Tkachuk seems like a good fit for Florida.
However, when Huberdeau is on ice his team bleeds shots against which makes it seem his offense is the product (to some degree) of his linemates cheating.
This move makes Florida less dependent on rush offense which should help their playoff performance.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
It’s easy to say the Flames but as mentioned it matters how they manage the assets. In one year it could be Tkachuk signed long term for a late 1st. I think it’s pretty even. Guys like Tkachuk are impossible to aquire

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Huberdeau and Weegar don't have to re-sign in Calgary for them to win this deal still, they just have to flip them and not what they did last year with Gaudreau which is get caught up in being a contender at the deadline if your top UFA won't re-sign

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I'd take 9 years of 24 year old Tkachuk over one year of 29 yr old UFA Huberdeau every day of the week. And even if Huberdeau re-signs with Calgary for 8 more years... I'd still take the much younger Tkachuk over that.

Reactions: jonlin

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
Huberdeau and Weegar don't have to re-sign in Calgary for them to win this deal still, they just have to flip them and not what they did last year with Gaudreau which is get caught up in being a contender at the deadline if your top UFA won't re-sign

Yeah, I mean, if you don't have all your players signed until they are 50, why even try to compete for the cup?

Patrik Barkov

Jun 25, 2016
Trade Huberdeau for a 1st, a good prospect, and ssomething else at the deadline
Ttrade Weegar for a 1st

you won
While I agree that on paper Calgary got more here your scenario is essentially magic beans for a young top-10 winger locked for 9 years.

Now if they can sign Huby and/or Weegar it's a different story but I don't hate this for Florida at all.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
If Calgary can extend Huberdeau for a reasonable contract I might change my mind but as of today Florida wins. They got the best player in the deal for 8 years who is only 24.

Way too early to call though.

VIPettersson

Apr 9, 2018
Calgary, just because of their situation alone. Tkachuk informed them he wasn't staying their hand was forced. After the Gaudreau gaffe they had to get something back. Despite this difficult situation they were able to get an Allstar in Huberdeau a 3-4 Dman in Weegar and a first. Yes, Florida gets an extended Tkachuk but that doesn't matter to Calgary. He was never going to sign that contract with the Flames. To get this kind of value when you really don't have all that much leverage is a win in my book.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
If Calgary trades Huberdeau as well for even more assets - then they win. Re-signing him could be a big pricey mistake

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
I don't understand people saying it's a fleece, Huberdeau and Weegar are going to test the market. Not sure how 1 year of them vs 9 years of matthew tkachuk is better for Calgary than Florida?
Want to know OPs reasonings for allowing a option to change votes

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I get why Florida did it but Tkachuk was in an immediate must-trade situation and you would think that Zito could have exerted more pressure.

We have seen star players in these situations return much less.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I don't understand people saying it's a fleece, Huberdeau and Weegar are going to test the market. Not sure how 1 year of them vs 9 years of matthew tkachuk is better for Calgary than Florida?

It's a massive fleece. Calgary wins in a landslide, and the poll results show that most everyone agrees. Nice to see Calgary fans get some GOOD news this summer for a change.

Huberdeau for Tkachuk alone would have been a slight win for Calgary(assuming he signs in Calgary......and they always do sign with their new teams). Add Weeger, the prospect and the 1st? LOL. Huge Flames win.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
wait and see. Depends if Calgary can get Huberdeau and Weeger signed or what kind of assets they receive for them if they're flipped at the deadline.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
While I agree that on paper Calgary got more here your scenario is essentially magic beans for a young top-10 winger locked for 9 years.

Now if they can sign Huby and/or Weegar it's a different story but I don't hate this for Florida at all.
It’s not 9 years it’s only 8. Its not an extension on a current contract. He was unsigned so it’s just an 8 year deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00