Who won the Huberdeau-matthew tkachuk trade?

Who won?

• Florida

Votes: 224 31.0%
  • Calgary

Votes: 386 53.5%
  • Even

Votes: 112 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I don't understand people saying it's a fleece, Huberdeau and Weegar are going to test the market. Not sure how 1 year of them vs 9 years of matthew tkachuk is better for Calgary than Florida?
Except it’s not one year of them vs 9 yrs of Tkachuk

If you create a poll, be honest man

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
If i told you Calgary would get 3 1sts+ for tkachuk, you are gonna say its a massive failure?
Yes. Especially if they come from teams looking to contend at the TDL. You can't move a player of Tkachuks caliber and not come away with a surefire young star, A+ prospect, or a player of equal standing. 3 late 1st could very easily amount to nothing at all.

What they should do is a sign and trade with Huberdeau, not ship him as a rental at the deadline. Draft picks outside of the top 10 are wildly overrated on these boards.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
It's not obvious yet. Let's see if Calgary can sign Huberdeau.

For Florida, there has been some dissatisfaction with Huberdeau for a long time and since they weren't signing him, they moved him for a guy that is a more total package. They got their fit.
Nope. Not even close. Just this playoffs (and not from me). And as a matter of fact he lead the team in scoring in the 2020-21 playoffs.

Last edited:

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I don't understand people saying it's a fleece, Huberdeau and Weegar are going to test the market. Not sure how 1 year of them vs 9 years of matthew tkachuk is better for Calgary than Florida?

I understand the reasoning from the Panther's pov for doing it. Also, I wonder what competing offers looked like.

But, I think Florida overpaid because Huberdeau + Weegar could probably get a better haul at the TDL than Tkachuk. AND they added on top of it...

essentially what I'm saying is that Florida gave Calgary better value than Tkachuk to flip to some other team. They gabe Calgary the option to jumpstart a revuild with more value to sell than selling Tkachuk himself.
But again, could easily be the Panthers winning this thrade in a few years since GM's rarely think long term and Calgary might lose Huberdeau + Weegar for no value and be left with a late 1st round pick and prospect for Tkachuk

Last edited:

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Yes, it is. I just gave you the definition of a trade.

Care you explain why you disagree?
It's not hard to work out why that's wrong. The first reason is that you've given your own definition, and it's wrong. A trade is simply an exchange of one thing for another. There's nothing inherent in the concept of a trade that requires it to be mutually beneficial.

Imagine the Oilers traded McDavid to Calgary tomorrow for future considerations. I don't know in what universe you could say they didn't lose that trade, or that Treliving failed to properly effect a trade because he didn't consider whether the deal was beneficial to the Oilers.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Yes, it is. I just gave you the definition of a trade.

Care you explain why you disagree?
Fans on the internet need to have some baseless reason to justify their pissing matches with each other. Its the "my dad can beat up your dad" playground talk.

Let them have it.

Reactions: BlueMed

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
It's not hard to work out why that's wrong. The first reason is that you've given your own definition, and it's wrong. A trade is simply an exchange of one thing for another. There's nothing inherent in the concept of a trade that requires it to be mutually beneficial.

Imagine the Oilers traded McDavid to Calgary tomorrow for future considerations. I don't know in what universe you could say they didn't lose that trade, or that Treliving failed to properly effect a trade because he didn't consider whether the deal was beneficial to the Oilers.

No, you misunderstand the difference between intent and outcome. A trade, by its very definition, is a voluntary exchange between two or more parties meaning that each party makes the trade on their own behalf with the expectation of increasing their own value. It's not a zero-sum scenario like this thread is posing them to be. The outcome of a trade may be poor for one party or another due to poor calculation, incomplete information, etc. but it's not really accurate to suggest that Calgary's intent behind the trade was to make Florida worse off per say. They were voluntarily working together.

Bond

May 10, 2012
I doubt they'll flip them at the deadline because they will likely have a really good regular season and want them for a playoff run. Then Hub and Weegar will walk in the off season and Calgary will have only delayed the inevitable rebuild by one year.
Tkachuk said he wanted out and was gone in a week. Gaudreau said he would re-sign until 2 hours before deadline. Treliving won't hold both if they aren't signed. That's Oilers fan copium

For the Flames it was one year of Tkachuk or one year of Huberdeau and Weegar. Pretty easy choice. I'm guessing no sure fire young player was available.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
No, you misunderstand the difference between intent and outcome. A trade, by its very definition, is a voluntary exchange between two or more parties meaning that each party makes the trade on their own behalf with the expectation of increasing their own value. It's not a zero-sum scenario like this thread is posing them to be. The outcome of a trade may be poor for one party or another due to poor calculation, incomplete information, etc. but it's not really accurate to suggest that Calgary's intent behind the trade was to make Florida worse off per say. They were voluntarily working together.
I'm not misunderstanding anything. You're confusing voluntary with mutually beneficial. And exchanges can absolutely operate on a zero sum basis, and not all trades are done on one's own behalf. There are just a lot of wrong assumptions you're making. And all of this is to say that an NHL team can "lose" a trade, as we've all seen happen many times.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Yes. Especially if they come from teams looking to contend at the TDL. You can't move a player of Tkachuks caliber and not come away with a surefire young star, A+ prospect, or a player of equal standing. 3 late 1st could very easily amount to nothing at all.

What they should do is a sign and trade with Huberdeau, not ship him as a rental at the deadline. Draft picks outside of the top 10 are wildly overrated on these boards.
Calgary was essentially dealing with 1yr of tkachuk, getting 3 1st+ is a fantastic return for someone that is gonna leave

Fear

Nov 17, 2014
Tkachuk is really good and now signed long term. Calgary has no chance to sign him and got a boatload of assets. Both teams won, the only loser here is St Louis as they lost their chance to get Tkachuk cheap or in free agency

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

This is why I took even and we will see about the 2 players but they also got a first rounder in the deal as well.

My bet is that if Calgary can't resign them in the regular season then they get traded as deadline rentals.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Calgary wins it this year with both Huberdeau and Weegar alone being more value than Tkachuk as a single player.

Florida could win it next year in a landslide if both Huberdeau and Weegar leave in free agency.
I get Calgary can flip one or both of them and collect a couple 1sts/prospects but they're likely from contenders and late picks, harder to hit on high ceilings draftees there.

I think Calgary may be able to keep Weegar more than Huberdeau, Weegar seemed to love the boys trip out West, doing some dog sledding with the team.
Even though it seems Calgary needs to make a trade on defense, for a forward.

I see Huberdeau coming back to the East and Montreal will likely pay him whatever they need to, stitch an A on his jersey and move Drouin for cap.

Don't see both of them signing but ya never know, a playoff run can change things.

Calgary has the major risk attached but got some added value in 1st + Schwindt which was a nice move by Treliving while Zito seems to prefer paying a mid 20's yr old who shoots/scores more, being better defensively over the better, but older elite playmaker.

Happy it works for both teams right now and will miss Huberdeau and Weegar.

Last edited:

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Until Calgary re-signs those assets to long term extensions, Calgary has lost this trade by a country mile!
How on earth is Calgary winning this?

I see Huberdeau coming back to the East and Montreal will likely pay him whatever they need to, stitch an A on his jersey and move Drouin for cap.
You mean before the upcoming season starts? Because Drouin only has 1 year left on his contract.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Until Calgary re-signs those assets to long term extensions, Calgary has lost this trade by a country mile!
How on earth is Calgary winning this?

You mean before the upcoming season starts? Because Drouin only has 1 year left on his contract.
Possibly at deadline if he plays and builds some value back? They can retain on him.
Maybe snag a late 2nd or a 3rd + prospect?

Truthfully, I thought he had 2 years left for some reason.
Makes it easier for Montreal then.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Somehow this thread has turned into a debate about the definition of the word trade

So here's google: "exchange (something) for something else, typically as a commercial transaction."

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Immediately Calgary, without a doubt, now longer term it will depend if they can resign either of the main pieces and how the prospect and pick turn out.

• Haha
Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Tkachuk will not produce anywhere close to Huberdeau did without Barkov. Maybe even with him.
He is a 70 pt player driving his own line or with guy like Bennett

Not sure how the Florida guys will do in Calgary but I think Huberdeau will be fine with Lindholm

Reactions: Flamesgod

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5