Who won the Huberdeau-matthew tkachuk trade?

Who won?

• Florida

Votes: 224 31.0%
  • Calgary

Votes: 386 53.5%
  • Even

Votes: 112 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yakupov fan

Jul 20, 2022
If Calgary extends Huberdeau, it’s one of the most lopsided deals we’ve seen. Even if they don’t extend them, you can flip Huberdeau and Weegar at the deadline for a massive return. It’s hard to see this as anything but a massive win for Calgary
I doubt they'll flip them at the deadline because they will likely have a really good regular season and want them for a playoff run. Then Hub and Weegar will walk in the off season and Calgary will have only delayed the inevitable rebuild by one year.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't understand people saying it's a fleece, Huberdeau and Weegar are going to test the market. Not sure how 1 year of them vs 9 years of matthew tkachuk is better for Calgary than Florida?
I think many are saying Calgary won because most didn't expect to bring in a player the caliber of Huberdeau on this deal. Most were thinking a player on a bad contract and some futures.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Depends if Calgary can extend Weegar, and they need to have the balls to trade Huberdeau at the deadline I think no matter what to come out ahead. Otherwise I think it's pretty even.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I think Calgary comes out ahead, but I also think it depends on how they play it.

If I'm Treliving, I'm not running the risk of either Huberdeau or Weegar getting hurt this year. I'd ask them if they're interested in signing long term, but I'd be fully prepared to flip them for picks and prospects now. Start the retool. The core you had wasn't good enough to get you deep in the playoffs. The two biggest pieces are now gone. Both acquired players have favourable cap hits. Huberdeau would fetch something considerable on his own, and Weegar should get a good haul.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Looking at just the immediate trade, Calgary wins. They got more assets than they gave up.

How they manage those assets this year however is a different story. Whether they re-sign/trade/let them talk does not effect the actual trade itself. Looking simply at this transaction, Calgary wins. Florida does get Tkachuk for a decade which is great for them, but just straight up asset value I give the edge to the Flames. Hopefully they do the right thing with the guys they acquired, otherwise it'll be a massive failure.

I think this trade is closer to even than most people think, it's not complete robbery as some people are suggesting.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Neither team "lost."

I started the day thinking FLA were out of their minds and Calgary made out like bandits, but I've moved to a more neutral position.

FLA moved on from a 30 year old, soon-to-be UFA and turned him into a 24 year old superstar who is now cost-controlled for 8 years. The cost to do so was an inconsequencial draft pick and a Dman they obviously soured on during the playoffs. It's a hefty price no question about it, but I really don't hate it for them.

Calgary shocked the hockey world with this return. For them to make out like they did after having their backs up against the wall is insane. That said, they are far from being out of the woods. This can still work out very poorly for them. Getting two guys back who are on the last year of their deal is a massive risk. Will they extend? If not, will they be dealt at the TDL for an underwhelming return as is historically the case?

If Calgary over plays their hand, maybe at the deadline they only get a 1st and B level prospect for Hubs and a late 1st and 3rd for Weegar. in that case, this becomes a massive failure.

FLA at least knows what they are getting for the next 8 years.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Carolina didnt win the Hamilton trade, its very debatable if this would be a win for Calgary.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Toronto and Tampa. Florida made themselves even less of a playoff threat.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Calgary wins the trade but still loses.

They won the trade because they got the better assets (by far). Now, assuming they are going to lose Hubs....they need to flip that asset for even better assets (ie a boatload of picks that all hit). If that happens it's a win. If not...its a loss. If huburdeau resigns with them...also a win.

Rinkrat

Feb 11, 2007
Gotta be Calgary. They’d have to completely mishandle both Huberdeau and Weegar to lose this deal. They’d have to lose both Huberdeau and Weegar for nothing to lose the deal. Or resign both to bad long term contracts. Any other combination of outcomes, including trading one or both Huberdeau/Weegar, gives Calgary a big win. Tre isn‘t Mike Milbury or Dim Benning so unless the Calgary ownership group meddles in things I can’t see Tre screwing this up.

My hope is they flip Huberdeau for a similar haul to what they got for Tkachuk and sign Weegar. If they get anything close to the Tkachuk package for Huberdeau, combined with the other assets they got from Florida, this would set Calgary up for years to come.

Edit…and they also got rid of Tkachuk. That’s a win in itself.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
What's odd about judging this is that if Calgary wasn't able to get the sign part into the sign and trade they clearly won the trade in a landslide. How could Florida give that up for a guy who might be gone in a year?

But with the deal in place, I think it swings back the other way. Two rentals a first and a prospect for an eon of MT in his prime? That's a terrific trade for FLA.

Obviously MT signing that deal was contingent on him getting sent to a team he liked, but that's not him demanding to be traded to florida.

Calgary did a good job of getting out of that sticky situation and doing everything they could to maximize the value of what they were sending out. Florida did a good job by aquiring that immense value, but had to send something comperable back.

If MT is traded unextended you can exploit that CGY is in a shitty situation and lowball them. A signed MT is something there will 100% be a bidding war for, and you'll get appropriate value back.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Trades are voluntary transactions designed to be mutually beneficial between two or more parties.

Stop with the zero sum rhetoric..."WhO wON thIs trAdE?"

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Trades are voluntary transactions designed to be mutually beneficial between two or more parties.

Stop with the zero sum rhetoric..."WhO wON thIs trAdE?"
What they are designed to do vs what the fulfill depends on each individual transaction. You have ones that better both sides, and then you have ones like the Forsberg-Erat trade, or this one, where one side gets robbed. Obviously Florida voluntarily made this move, but that doesn’t excuse it for being a horrid one.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Neither team "lost."

I started the day thinking FLA were out of their minds and Calgary made out like bandits, but I've moved to a more neutral position.

FLA moved on from a 30 year old, soon-to-be UFA and turned him into a 24 year old superstar who is now cost-controlled for 8 years. The cost to do so was an inconsequencial draft pick and a Dman they obviously soured on during the playoffs. It's a hefty price no question about it, but I really don't hate it for them.

Calgary shocked the hockey world with this return. For them to make out like they did after having their backs up against the wall is insane. That said, they are far from being out of the woods. This can still work out very poorly for them. Getting two guys back who are on the last year of their deal is a massive risk. Will they extend? If not, will they be dealt at the TDL for an underwhelming return as is historically the case?

If Calgary over plays their hand, maybe at the deadline they only get a 1st and B level prospect for Hubs and a late 1st and 3rd for Weegar. in that case, this becomes a massive failure.

FLA at least knows what they are getting for the next 8 years.
If i told you Calgary would get 3 1sts+ for tkachuk, you are gonna say its a massive failure?

Reactions: dukeofjive

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
What they are designed to do vs what the fulfill depends on each individual transaction. You have ones that better both sides, and then you have ones like the Forsberg-Erat trade, or this one, where one side gets robbed. Obviously Florida voluntarily made this move, but that doesn’t excuse it for being a horrid one.

But people always frame trades as win/lose when the entire essence of a trade is a win/win for each party. One party may win more than they other, but they are designed by their very nature to be mutually beneficial, and I just don't see why people can't understand that.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Florida got by far the best asset.

Tkachuk for 9 years in his prime is more valuable than anything the Flames may get.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00