Who won the Huberdeau-matthew tkachuk trade?

Who won?

• Florida

Votes: 224 31.0%
  • Calgary

Votes: 386 53.5%
  • Even

Votes: 112 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
If Calgary extends Huberdeau, it’s one of the most lopsided deals we’ve seen. Even if they don’t extend them, you can flip Huberdeau and Weegar at the deadline for a massive return. It’s hard to see this as anything but a massive win for Calgary
On the contrary, extending Huberdeau will probably lead in a horrible contract for a player in his 30s.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
If Calgary extends Huberdeau, it’s one of the most lopsided deals we’ve seen. Even if they don’t extend them, you can flip Huberdeau and Weegar at the deadline for a massive return. It’s hard to see this as anything but a massive win for Calgary
This.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Don't see how it's not Calgary. Either they remain competitive and keep both player, or they trade them away for a haul where each player gets a 1st+ at least on top of the Panthers 1st.

I understand the trade for the Panthers too, but giving up these future 1sts seems like a terrible strategy.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

m0rkoli

Jan 3, 2019
Florida didn't have many choices... Hubie had a no moment clause and he waived that to play in Calgary.
I would be 95 % sure that he resigns... So Florida next season with Hubie, got young gun with 8 y contract that could turn out to be hugely favourable to Florida in coming years.

Loved Weeger that's a shame...
At least the 1 round pick is top 10 protected, but Florida should do good for upcoming years so... anyways...

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
As a big Matthew Tkachuk fan I have a real tough time seeing him hitting 100pts again.

He is a very entertaining player to watch, plays with an edge and pisses teams off. Monster on the boards and in the crease. Fantastic hands in tight, deceptive shot, and a very gifted playmaker as well. Excellent defensive forward and drives play as good as anyone. My hangup with him has always been that the poor boy just cannot skate a lick. Like a spastic teenager. In a league that gets faster every year that's a liability a 'superstar' nearly 10 million dollar player can't afford.

Reactions: BouchBaby

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Give it a year, at least for Calgary's result.

The Flames got way more value back than anyone anyone could have expected. But at the same time, the 2 biggest assets could walk in a year.

Though that was already the case for them, and Huberdeau is a better player than Turtleboy (the other assets are just gravy). That's at least a win in the now for them

But if you end up with only a couple late 1st and/or 2nds (whatever the return is at the deadline) that's going to be disappointing for a 100point powerforward RFA going into his prime. Lord help the Flames is they do similar/slightly worse this year as last (solid regular season, but fail in playoffs), meaning they don't sell at the TDL only to see the UFAs walk.

Basically Calgary is still driving towards the "your guy walks in UFA" cliff, but they now have a even more assets to play with.
Meanwhile FLA just cashed out and transformed an aging asset into a bluechip one, locked up for his prime. I think both are happy for now, but Calgary is still dealing with a ton of risk.

Reactions: Kleefeld

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Florida didn't have many choices... Hubie had a no moment clause and he waived that to play in Calgary.
I would be 95 % sure that he resigns... So Florida next season with Hubie, got young gun with 8 y contract that could turn out to be hugely favourable to Florida in coming years.

At least the 1 round pick is top 10 protected, but Florida should do good for upcoming years so... anyways...
I think this is the important part too.

Why would he waive to Calgary if he wasn’t at least a little interested in an extension here?

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
As even as you can get.

Florida gets a guy 6 years younger than Huberdeau who has put up similar stats while not even hitting his "prime" yet.

Calgary gets 2 UFA's who should return decent assets if they are traded. I have a feeling Calgary resigns Huberdeau to a massive contract though.

Reactions: Video Nasty

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Calgary is the only reasonable answer here getting a return like that taking into account the situation they were in, they absolutely got more from moving Tkachuk than they "should" have

but it also might not be that bad for Florida long term either, they do get younger and don't have to give a 30 year old a big 8 year deal even if they are a really good 30 year old

Reactions: Kleefeld

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Considering how weak their bargaining position was with Tkachuk publicly wanting out and Gaudreau already having pushed his way out they did way better then I thought they would.

If they get Huberdau to sign an extension then Flames win this one big.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I voted even. I think both teams did a phenomenal job here.

On paper at first glance it looks like Calgary won big. But the reality is despite Tkachuk/Huberdeau providing "similar" offense, Tkachuk is the far better play driver, and the better two way winger out of the two. I think he's clearly the better player, which is no disrespect to Hubedeau is a fantastic winger himself, but Tkachuk is one of the best wingers in the game. Huberdeau is a tier below that despite his 115 or whatever point season he just had.

Then you factor in that Huberdeau was a UFA in a year, likely looking to cash in big time coming off that 115 point season, the Panthers were able to get a better player and get him signed to a simply brilliant contract extension as well... It's a great move by them. No doubt that contract extension drove the price up and is likely where a lot of the additional value Florida gave up came from. Weegar is a great Top 4D, and losing him will hurt the Panthers Defense(It looks so bad on paper right now, gotta believe something else is coming for that), and who knows what the 2025 1st will look like. That's so far away the Panthers could easily be awful by then and the Flames staring a gift horse in the face in three years. But I still think Florida did well here getting the younger, better player and getting him signed to a great contract.

But the Flames did great as well. Especially considering the circumstances surrounding them and Tkachuk. For the Flames, Matthew was essentially a 1 year rental as well. He could have easily pulled a PLD this summer, signed his $9M qualifying offer and walked into UFA in a year from now. So from the Flames perspective they traded a 1 year rental in Tkachuk for another elite rental in Huberdeau, AND because they allowed Tkachuk to negotiate and agree to a contract with Florida, they got a fantastic haul of additional pieces in the deal as well. They made the absolute best out of a bad situation and now have a number of different directions they can take the team, largely depending on how they start the year IMO(And whether Huberdeau is willing to re-sign).

So long as they avoid the absolute worst case scenario of letting both Huberdeau and Weegar walk as UFAs next summer, they come out of this deal in really great shape. But if Huberdeau or Weegar aren't willing to sign new contracts with Calgary, the Flames need to sell them and get whatever haul of futures they can get to go along with the 2025 1st and prospect they already got from the deal.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016

I think this is the important part too.

Why would he waive to Calgary if he wasn’t at least a little interested in an extension here?

Look like his NMC switched to a 8 team NTC this season so doesn’t look like he had a say.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I don't understand people saying it's a fleece, Huberdeau and Weegar are going to test the market. Not sure how 1 year of them vs 9 years of matthew tkachuk is better for Calgary than Florida?
Because it wasn't 9 years of Tkachuk... CGY had 1 years of of Tkachuk too.

Its basically Tkachuk for 3 1sts and a prospect if Tre actually gets off his ass and trades these two at the deadline. Thats incredible value for a guy that was leaving in 1 year. Would you think you fleeced someone if you traded Huberdeau for 3 1sts worth of players?

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I don't understand people saying it's a fleece, Huberdeau and Weegar are going to test the market. Not sure how 1 year of them vs 9 years of matthew tkachuk is better for Calgary than Florida?
How do you get 9 years from an 8 year contract?

In the short term, win for Calgary. A lot of the future is dependent on what happens after next year. Do the Flames move out these pieces and more for futures? Do they re-sign them? Do they keep them in an attempt to compete but they both leave? Does this trade translate into a Cup?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00