Speculation: Who specifically was Andersen calling out

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I know your probably jumping for joy that Kadri is struggling but he will get scoring soon, and you will become silent when it happens just like last season.
There will/might be a time to trade Kadri but that isnt this year.
Kadri hasn't been scoring but IMO he hasn't been struggling. He's been doing exactly the job the coach wants. Matchup against the top lines and keep them from scoring wild.
You don't get demoted on this team for offense. You get demoted for defense.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I agree one of those things are not like the other. Kadri even when he isnt playing well at least gives a solid effort unlike the other guys. Another thing is that he isnt a role player which the other guys are.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
A team that relies on out-scoring its opponents is unable to do so? First time I've heard of that. But seriously, the even strength offense had dried up. I'd go so far as to suggest that the referees are keeping our boys in games where they have no reason to be in.
NiJQfSV.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Kadri hasn't been scoring but IMO he hasn't been struggling. He's been doing exactly the job the coach wants. Matchup against the top lines and keep them from scoring wild.
You don't get demoted on this team for offense. You get demoted for defense.
Yup he needs to start producing but if he isnt scoring, then you better not be a liability which he hasnt been.
Remember when Bozak got demoted to the 4th line beginning of the season? He wasnt producing and was hurting the team too. Kadri despite not scoring, hasnt been demoted which tells me he is playing okay.
The truth though is that everyone including Kadri need to play better

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It is a concerning pattern, no argument there. Was an issue last season too.

Was an issue at the beginning of the year, and even worse than it is now.

It was only masked behind 6-5 games and outscoring your own mistakes mentality, but the mistakes were just as egregious if not worse and more frequent.

When Andersen was giving up 5 goals against regularly, that is not because of sound defense and poor goaltending, in last goal wins style of play.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yup he needs to start producing but if he isnt scoring, then you better not be a liability which he hasnt been.
Remember when Bozak got demoted to the 4th line beginning of the season? He wasnt producing and was hurting the team too. Kadri despite not scoring, hasnt been demoted which tells me he is playing okay.
The truth though is that everyone including Kadri need to play better
Exactly. Marner wouldn't be sent to the 4rd line by Babs because he has 3 goals. He is sent there because he's been an issue defensively. Insert Brown.
Everyone has a job to do in Babcock's mind. Play the role he wants, work hard and compete and you are fine. Offense to Babs is 2nd in terms of how you complete your task.

Reactions: stickty111

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Was an issue at the beginning of the year, and even worse than it is now.

It was only masked behind 6-5 games and outscoring your own mistakes mentality, but the mistakes were just as egregious if not worse and more frequent.

When Andersen is giving up 5 goals against regularly, that is not because of sound defense and poor goaltending.

If Andersen had just an average sv% during the start of this season, they wouldn’t have been giving up as many goals against.

Now under the supposedly better defensive system the team is performing worse. I don’t see how anyone can be happy watching this team’s performance the last few weeks

Reactions: dsred

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

Wonder if the veterans will step up. It was veteran mistake that caused the GTG, veterans that couldn't bury a well executed 2on1 and a veteran who misplays the 2on1.

As bad as Marners giveaway was (and it was game changing), they didn't do what they needed to either.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
If Andersen had just an average sv% during the start of this season, they wouldn’t have been giving up as many goals against.

Now under the supposedly better defensive system the team is performing worse. I don’t see how anyone can be happy watching this team’s performance the last few weeks
As I said before, the people who believe in the "defence wins championships" narratives are happy. Funny thing is despite playing the "defence wins championships" way which is apparently the way we should play, we havent improved defensively and are losing games. You would think that for playing this way, we would win a lot more.
Its kind of bad that our goalie needs a .950 SV% just so we can win a game.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Dump and chase = < quality and less odd man scoring chances against and thus less goals against.

Run and gun = lots of giveaways and turnovers = > shots, scoring chances and much higher quality of scoring opportunities for opponents.

Defensively the Leafs have always been a train wreck and their last years bottom 10 in goals against or this years 1st month where Leafs were among the worst in goals against, was only masked better by their offense as fans didn't notice all the pucks going in the Leafs net, only focused on how many Leafs were scoring.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
You have to be kidding in thinking Nylander could attack the puck carrier. He’s not even close enough to touch him wth his stick.
No, Gardiner's stupidity set of a chain reaction. Nylander slows down when he sees Gardiner shift his focus to the puck carrier. What Gardiner did makes negative sense. Philadelphia's number 11 is a rightie so, aside from passing to his buddy, the only other dangerous options he has are to

- make a power move and cut in, or
- stop up and look for a passing option.

Forcing him to take the relatively sharper angled shot is what the Leafs want. Freddy is in position and the shot location gets worse and worse.

If Gardiner had covered the right guy, Nylander would not have slowed down, and Andersen would be in the perfect position to stop the shot or the net drive.

All of the players should have been "fresh" as it was the start of overtime. There is no excuse for a defender here. Nylander could have been a little quicker but I wouldn't blame him.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Whole team is in a funk right now.

Even AM34 hasn't looked quite right since returning from that concussion.

IMO Bozak and his lifeless corpse need to go. Kadri needs to get someone more dynamic than Komarov on his wing as well.

Wish Babcock would tinker with the line a bit more to try and stir some results that didn't involve putting skill guys with Matt Martin and shuffling his bottom pair D.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
As I said before, the people who believe in the "defence wins championships" narratives are happy. Funny thing is despite playing the "defence wins championships" way which is apparently the way we should play, we havent improved defensively and are losing games. You would think that for playing this way, we would win a lot more.
Its kind of bad that our goalie needs a .950 SV% just so we can win a game.

I agree with you in principle, but to say our defence hasn't improved is inaccurate. Our goals against is down compared to earlier in the season, and although Freddy has played a large part in that, we have definitely cut down on the quality chances we give up every game.

The problem is that it has come at the expense of our offensive production.

Reactions: stickty111

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
No, Gardiner's stupidity set of a chain reaction. Nylander slows down when he sees Gardiner shift his focus to the puck carrier. What Gardiner did makes negative sense. Philadelphia's number 11 is a rightie so, aside from passing to his buddy, the only other dangerous options he has are to

- make a power move and cut in, or
- stop up and look for a passing option.

Forcing him to take the relatively sharper angled shot is what the Leafs want. Freddy is in position and the shot location gets worse and worse.

If Gardiner had covered the right guy, Nylander would not have slowed down, and Andersen would be in the perfect position to stop the shot or the net drive.

All of the players should have been "fresh" as it was the start of overtime. There is no excuse for a defender here. Nylander could have been a little quicker but I wouldn't blame him.

What happens if Nylander simply stays with Couturier all the way back and Gardner plays Konecny the puck carrier blocking his path to the net on a basic 2-2 situation?.

Anderson was angry because Nylander couldn't have played it any worse and both Gardiner and Anderson were forced to readjust and couldn't in time as they both scrambled to take Couturier too late.

Reactions: cookie

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Earlier in the season Gardiner was letting the shooters take the puck untouched to the net on 2 on 1's. This time he decided to take the shooter, I pretty sure Freddy was pissed at Jake! You cant leave Freddy guessing on plays like that,.

Last edited:
Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Yes, blame Kadri :shakehead

I see the Kadri haters were just waiting for an opportunity to start blaming him for everything again.

Any proof that Andy was calling him out specifically? No? Then stop making stuff up.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
I'll say this, regardless of who he was directing the comments to, I'm glad someone on the Leafs is showing some anger and emotion. They have seemed wayyy to laxed the last little while and don't seem to be getting frustrated enough with the losses piling up. Some determination that we must win needs to be there. I don't believe the Bruins have a better team then us, but they seem relentless and don't seem to accept that losing is ok. The leafs have definitely lost some swag and not playing with that passion we saw earlier. Hopefully this is the turning point.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

I see the Kadri haters were just waiting for an opportunity to start blaming him for everything again.

Any proof that Andy was calling him or specifically? No? Then stop making stuff up.
It's tradition. People were just waiting for Kadri to struggle. It doesnt matter though, when he gets going again, those people will look dumb again.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
It's tradition. People were just waiting for Kadri to struggle. It doesnt matter though, when he gets going again, those people will look dumb again.

It happens to a lot of players (like Andy in October), but Kadri seems to get it worse than everyone.

Lots of players are playing poorly. With some looking like they're not even trying.

Does OP call out Bozak or JVR? Nope. It's always Kadri.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010

Any proof that Andy was calling him or specifically? No? Then stop making stuff up.

Settle down, his whole thread is speculation about who was being called out. No one has any proof of who it is.

BUT.... I really doubt it's against Kadri, who's going through a slump. That would be ridiculous.

Goalies can't really affect goals for, only goals against. So I'm pretty sure he's really pissed about the number of goals he's let in lately, and how some really lousy plays have been made that led to those goals. Freddy's been playing his heart out to keep us in games, only to have it all ruined by some serious dumb plays. I think he's really had to dig down, and you can only do that so long and so often.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
What happens if Nylander simply stays with Couturier all the way back and Gardner plays Konecny the puck carrier blocking his path to the net on a basic 2-2 situation?.

Anderson was angry because Nylander couldn't have played it any worse and both Gardiner and Anderson were forced to readjust and couldn't in time as they both scrambled to take Couturier too late.
I agree that Nylander took the wrong guy on the Flyers' counter rush but Gardiner's actions still baffle me. Though the man is skating backwards, he's still the fastest of the four relevant players. His moving to the center ice from the Flyers' blueline on would indicate that he acknowledges that Nylander is pursuing the puck carrier and that he, by virtue of that, should be covering the open man. His last second change in coverage is indicative of two things

- his wanting to break the play up and move the puck to Matthews for the break away chance

- a lack of spatial awareness wrt the ice available to make the cross crease pass

Gardiner's last second change in coverage sends the wrong message to Nylander so he slows down.

Both players could have avoided this by communicating who's got who. For all we know, Babcock might emphasize that only his forwards should pursue the puck carrier in OT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad