Speculation: Who specifically was Andersen calling out

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
In the first 40 games, the boys were doing so much right, outside of the obvious high offense, they were doing things such as holding onto leads, scoring empty net goals, getting shutouts, winning almost all overtime and even SO games. This is the same team, why the friggin change. Now they are going back to the problem they had last year in the first half. But the biggest problem is that nobody knows how to score anymore, including Matthews. It's getting so frustrating to watch.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
We scored a SHG vs Stl and it didn't set the wheels negatively in motion for them as it seemed to do for us last night vs Phi. Guess it could be that we're younger and more inexperienced as a whole compared to the Blues, but it seems like it's another hurdle we'll have to learn to overcome. That's my takeaway from the game more than Andersen's post-game comments being directed at anyone in particular.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
We scored a SHG vs Stl and it didn't set the wheels negatively in motion for them as it seemed to do for us last night vs Phi. Guess it could be that we're younger and more inexperienced as a whole compared to the Blues, but it seems like it's another hurdle we'll have to learn to overcome. That's my takeaway from the game more than Andersen's post-game comments being directed at anyone in particular.

The shorthanded goal didn't really throw us into a spin last night either - the 4 or 5 shifts after the goal, the Leafs actually played really well. Were buzzing around the Flyers net and had a few great chances on Neuvirth.

It just seems like every mistake the team makes right now, ends up with the puck in the back of the net, and as a goalie who is playing outstannding, that must be so frustrating - to see that lack of detailed-focus in front of you.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I’d say a couple things:

1) if I were to guess I’d say the comments would be directed more towards a few of the vets in the team than the younger guys. They’re the ones who are supposed to be leading by example.

2) I hope this isn’t indicative of any sort of split inside the dressingroom, but I don’t want to draw too much from a single offhand comment to the media. Teams has been in a slump, not unreasonable to presume things are a bit tense in there. Babcock will need to iron this stuff out.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
The shorthanded goal didn't really throw us into a spin last night either - the 4 or 5 shifts after the goal, the Leafs actually played really well. Were buzzing around the Flyers net and had a few great chances on Neuvirth.

It just seems like every mistake the team makes right now, ends up with the puck in the back of the net, and as a goalie who is playing outstannding, that must be so frustrating - to see that lack of detailed-focus in front of you.

Tough to say for sure. I just look at it as going on the PP with a lead gave us a best case scenario of getting an insurance marker. Instead, we end up with the complete opposite as Philly scores to make it anyone's game again. I agree though that even if our mistakes aren't many, the ones we do make end up being costly quite a bit.

The point gained from an OT/SO loss looks nicer when we come from behind to tie a game compared to when we cough up a lead. Hope we can progress to putting the opposition away in regulation as much as possible though.

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a play as over-analyzed as that OT goal....

A couple of brain farts and miscommunication led to a goal - happens every game, we can just hope the guys learn from it.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I wonder where Freddy is placed in the lockerroom hierarchy? Is he a player the others listens to?
If not, I don't hope his comments backfires - and some guys stops helping him out entirely...

Thoughts?

BTW - I like it when players speaks out - a change for better has to come from within.

hasn't that happened already?

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Can't blame Freddie.
I'd have even more choice words if I busted my ass night in and night out and gave my team a chance to win just to have it squandered by some lazy assholes every time.

Reactions: The Rat King

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I think that Marner play coming out in front of his own net, upset and embarrassed Anderson most of all as it made him look bad by a real soft play by Mitch.

Freddy was holding the fort, shutting out the opposition and then suddenly this nonsense in front on him and it was suddenly game on again and the collapse was in motion again.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I have never heard Andersen critic himself going back to the start of last season, I always found that odd.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a play as over-analyzed as that OT goal....

A couple of brain farts and miscommunication led to a goal - happens every game, we can just hope the guys learn from it.

In isolation, sure.

But it's not just a couple of brain farts and miscommunication - it's several weeks full of them.

It's the similar misplays that cost us the game against St. Louis and Columbus.

Similar blown lead patterns that cost us several times in the past 2 weeks.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I have never heard Andersen critic himself going back to the start of last season, I always found that odd.

He did say he had to be better in January last year in a media scrum after a blown lead. I can't remember specifically when it was.

Given how fragile and unusual goaltender confidence is, I'm totally fine with my goaltender not hanging himself out after a tough performance.

(Which, mind you, have been very rare this season).

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Just a heads up here for everyone! Matthews is the one who turned the puck over trying a cute no look backhand pass to Willy.

Willy had his guy and choose to chase the puck carrier. Gardiner had the right ice and right gap.

Matthews fault.

what an awful turnover by matthews. highlight of his night.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yep. Correct

The others have more than 1 point in 18 games.

If that's all you're going on without looking at the big picture, I can't help you. I expect something like that out of someone who just started watching hockey.

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
You could see Freddie's body language after the second goal he was upset. I'm glad he called them out. I suspect most of it was aimed at Marner. Teams need leaders. rowing the boat is fine but if no one calls signals you just flail in the water. Hoping for a big effort Saturday. I believe it will be telling towards the rest of the season.
Cant really blame Marner when he is playing with a centre who goes into hibernation half the time. If the Bozak line did something, then maybe that mistake doesnt happen

Captain14

Jan 3, 2018
Buffalo, NY
If I had the power, I'd do the following;

1. Healthy scratch Marner. He could use a couple games in the pressbox to straighten his game out. I'm a big fan of the kid but he's playing like **** and two of the four losses happened on his stick.
2. Trade JVR and Bozak for picks and add those picks (probably a 1st, 2nd + prospect) to Gardiner and make a move for a defenseman
3. Keep Brown with Matthews and Hyman until Nylander gets his **** together.
4. Scratch some veterans and play Kapanen and Leivo. Bruised egos are excellent motivators.
5. Change up the the PP with some new bodies.
You couldn't have captured my thoughts any more accurately. My bigger concern is Babcock not even doing one of those of your list.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
In isolation, sure.

But it's not just a couple of brain farts and miscommunication - it's several weeks full of them.

It's the similar misplays that cost us the game against St. Louis and Columbus.

Similar blown lead patterns that cost us several times in the past 2 weeks.

It is a concerning pattern, no argument there. Was an issue last season too.

Reactions: Tak7

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
If that's all you're going on without looking at the big picture, I can't help you. I expect something like that out of someone who just started watching hockey.

Right. The big picture. With an airbrush over your favourite.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I think that Marner play coming out in front of his own net, upset and embarrassed Anderson most of all as it made him look bad by a real soft play by Mitch.
agreed.
and Andersen was being casual about getting ready ...

The whole play was weird.
Carrick along the boards being manhandled.
Polak falling down behind the net.
Marner getting his pocket picked badly.
Freddie, not ready.
Quite the crapshow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
That is your opinion but not mine, he has term left on his contract and has done nothing, trading a lot of rentals is not the best way to get players that can help now and going forward Kadri is not an untouchable and should be traded.
I know your probably jumping for joy that Kadri is struggling but he will get scoring soon, and you will become silent when it happens just like last season.
There will/might be a time to trade Kadri but that isnt this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad