Speculation: Who specifically was Andersen calling out

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
In isolation, sure.

But it's not just a couple of brain farts and miscommunication - it's several weeks full of them.

It's the similar misplays that cost us the game against St. Louis and Columbus.

Similar blown lead patterns that cost us several times in the past 2 weeks.
I think it was the loss against the blues that caused his anger to start to rise. Freddy was unbelievable and so on the ball, he deserved the shut out.

Multiple failed clearing attempts, leaving the goal scorer all alone in front to put in the rebound with 57 seconds left.

I felt bad for him there, if there was ever a game where the goalie deserved but got screwed out of a shutout, it was that one.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Even if Nylander was behind Konecny, he did enough to distract him. Andersen would have had the shooter. It was Gardiner's job to take away the pass to Couturier. Gardiner instead decides to help out Nylander leaving Couturier all alone to bury the shot.

Seriously now! It was not Gards fault

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
I think that Marner play coming out in front of his own net, upset and embarrassed Anderson most of all as it made him look bad by a real soft play by Mitch.

Freddy was holding the fort, shutting out the opposition and then suddenly this nonsense in front on him and it was suddenly game on again and the collapse was in motion again.

100% this. It eviscerated all the momentum the leafs had, and gave life to a flyers team which before that goal - the leafs had their heels on the flyers throats.

That stick lift quick wrist goal off of Marner will be on the Misplays of the week on sportsnet for a while.

Somehow it was way worse than an own goal...

The last 3 games we had chances at a GWG, wouldve masked this slump, i jist hope its a blessing in disguise to iron out the wrinkles, and stitch some buttons back on closer to playoffs.

Reactions: 54thecup

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I think it was the loss against the blues that caused his anger to start to rise. Freddy was unbelievable and so on the ball, he deserved the shut out.

Multiple failed clearing attempts, leaving the goal scorer all alone in front to put in the rebound with 57 seconds left.

I felt bad for him there, if there was ever a game where the goalie deserved but got screwed out of a shutout, it was that one.
marners play has been unacceptable ,,,very AHL like ,but one of the hardest things in the NHL if your small is u have be strong ,or like ken linseman ,doug Gilmour etc ...u gotta be a rat ,marner I fear will get hurt soon ,if hes not already hurt ,to me his fist step is slow on a back check ,hope I'm wrong but he doent play with the intensity connor brown or Mathews does ...I love fredie calling out this group .a sense of entitlement is creeping in ...not for long ...we don't want a muskoka 5 gang again ..lol

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
marners play has been unacceptable ,,,very AHL like ,but one of the hardest things in the NHL if your small is u have be strong ,or like ken linseman ,doug Gilmour etc ...u gotta be a rat ,marner I fear will get hurt soon ,if hes not already hurt ,to me his fist step is slow on a back check ,hope I'm wrong but he doent play with the intensity connor brown or Mathews does ...I love fredie calling out this group .a sense of entitlement is creeping in ...not for long ...we don't want a muskoka 5 gang again ..lol
I think with Marner its a case of time, he needs it to fill out a bit more, he wont be huge but he should be strong enough at some point to at least be capable of winning puck battles.

We made these kids into rock stars after a very short playoff appearance, so hopefully it's not getting to their heads.. but you never know. :/

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
Marners demotion kinda hints at who Andersen was calling out. Plays small and has always got away with it at lower levels. Entitled without question and protected by Hunter in all facets. He's never gonna help you in a tight checking playoff run.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Sadly some people just have a hate on for Kadri. Like the "Kadri cant play with half the wingers on the team" When people point this stuff out, and even say one negative thing about other players(like Bozak) they come at you like fire ants and say "no no stop hating Bozak. He gets most of the hate" The thing is people are just to sensitive about #42 minus king, as they cant deal with someone who believes he isnt perfect.
There is no question Kadri gets more hate then other players.
This whole thing of people calling out the fans of Nazem Kadri is getting tiresome and there are quite a few that see this as well.

Personally, I like Kadri better then Bozak. But I take them for what they both are. Grade B, 2nd line players at best who will come and go and will be forgotten in time.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
When it comes to resigning UFA's, personally I think it's all up in the air. It's the best player who can benefit your club that you can afford. JVR is almost the top goal-score, 1 behind Matthews. Bozak is the top assists leader among the Leaf centers. And Marner is one of the best play-makers as well. You literately need to build a line around JVR to try and squeeze that one attribute out of him. Well JVR does lead the team in something: - worst plus/minus. With his modified no-trade clause, unrestricted free-agent JVR wouldn't return as much as some might hope. But it might be addition through subtraction. I think you could put Leivo in his spot easily.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i wonder, and they were alluding to this on the radio, if the new(er) guard (ie: marleau, hainsey, andersen) are looking at the older-guard and not liking what they are seeing

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
Don't know why babcock is trying to recreate the kessel line with marner and getting hemmed in for fun every game, without the run and gun. obviously bozak needs to go

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Is there one or two players causing issues? He mentioned attitude change. Kadri is my bet for one player the other im unsure.

I dont want us to rush a trade but i too am sick of watching games..seeing the same mistakes over and over even when we win.

Also why sit Borgman? Physical and consistent but no Babs plays Carrick makes no sense at all

Maintenance day off? He’s a physical player. That can wear you down over a season. He’s a rookie...

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Bozak is brutal. He's not overly talented but has the work ethic of a lazy superstar.
As a big critic of Bozak, he has top 6 level offensive skills but work ethic is horrendous and defensive play is 4th line calibre.

thunder16

Nov 18, 2017
protected by Hunter in all facets. He's never gonna help you in a tight checking playoff run.[/QUOTMarners demotion kinda hints at who Andersen was calling out. Plays small and has always got away with it at lower levels. Entitled without question and

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
i wonder, and they were alluding to this on the radio, if the new(er) guard (ie: marleau, hainsey, andersen) are looking at the older-guard and not liking what they are seeing

That was more or less my reading of it. Looking at the vets who have been with the team for a while (and quite frankly all have been subpar as of late).

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
That was more or less my reading of it. Looking at the vets who have been with the team for a while (and quite frankly all have been subpar as of late).

I think it’s just the opposite. No matter how much skill you have, you have to make a commintment to the team. Something some of the young guys have been overlooking.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Seriously now! It was not Gards fault
There's 2 distinct ways of thinking about it: either Nylander pursues the puck carrier the system asks it's forwards to do, or he continues to tag along with the Flyer without the puck.

Gardiner should have recognized what Nylander was doing well in advance and should have reacted accordingly.

Gardiner was a bit too greedy in wanting to cut off the pass and quickly move the puck to Matthews. However, in 3-on-3 OT you kind of need to take risks like this.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
There's 2 distinct ways of thinking about it: either Nylander pursues the puck carrier the system asks it's forwards to do, or he continues to tag along with the Flyer without the puck.

Gardiner should have recognized what Nylander was doing well in advance and should have reacted accordingly.

Gardiner was a bit too greedy in wanting to cut off the pass and quickly move the puck to Matthews. However, in 3-on-3 OT you kind of need to take risks like this.

You probably missed Kelly Hrudey's assessment last night on HNIC of Nylander's recent defensive lapses, despite acknowledging him as a talented player...the two examples he used were from the OT winners by Columbus and the Flyers...which I totally agree with, but folks like to blame Gardiner because he hasn't played well this year...Nylander should have stuck to Couturier like tongue on an iron post in a cold winter's day...there never would have been a 2-on-1 if Nylander stayed with Couturier, not for Gardiner to defend, nor for Andersen to face...the forward's job is to help out his defense if he doesn't have the puck, and Nylander failed in both situations...he's young, so he's still learning.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

it really wouldn't surprise me if that's what it was.
the first crack in three years, i'm kinda surprised it took this long. honestly, there are a good chunk of this team i would happily walk away from and not even give them a second thought.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Somewhat agree. The fact it took so long yes. Way too many games...same mistakes at some point the leaders need to take a stand and speak up. So first Andersen, then Marleau in intermission.

I still wonder what the problem is. Is it they get down on themselves after a bad goal, or a missed chance? Is it the trade deadline is soon and some are letting it get in their head?

This is why i loved the Marleau deal. Even if he isnt getting pts his leadership is huge. Same with Hainsey unlocking Reillys offense. These 2 guys are what a team like Edmonton lacks. I can safely bet that say we didnt have those 2 ww wouldnt be in a playoff spot (obviously Andersen).

As for who exactly..well the deadline is a month away so we will find out. Any player causing problems (if thats the case) will be traded. So we if see a weird deal then I guess we know.

Patience is running thin. We all know our weakness' so therefore I know our management does. But we were told not to have super high expectations, that steady on the rudder quote and sticking to the building plan. I have a feeling we maybe underwhelmed in Feb. But if thats the case fasten your seatbelt for July..I really think we run hard at Doughty

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
pretty funny that freddy followed this up with a stinker, and his teammates had to bail him out.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Its about time his teammates bailed him out considering how many times he has had to bail them out since basically November.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad