Speculation: Who specifically was Andersen calling out

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Is there one or two players causing issues? He mentioned attitude change. Kadri is my bet for one player the other im unsure.

I dont want us to rush a trade but i too am sick of watching games..seeing the same mistakes over and over even when we win.

Also why sit Borgman? Physical and consistent but no Babs plays Carrick makes no sense at all

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
nobody has been good enough that they're beyond criticism, except maybe Rielly and Matthews. Even they need to step up, but at least they haven't been extremely underwhelming

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
For one, I really don't see Kadri needing an attitude change. His attitude throughout this stretch has been commendable, for all that we can judge. Works hard, doesn't take shortcuts to try and cheat for scoring, is saying all the right things in interviews.

If you look at some of his other comments, he mentioned his annoyance at facing a 2-on-1 on the PP and said something along the lines that the guys on the bench must be frustrated seeing that happen. As such, I'm going to guess that his comment was directed at certain players who make soft and/or lazy plays more than having an issue with people not stepping up. The whole Bozak line fit that description, and so could Nylander. (EDIT: Come to think of it, Nylander PP situation was him not keeping the puck in, but he then worked his butt off to get back and steer off the situation. I don't see Andersen having any issues there.)

Honestly, while he might very well have had someone in particular in mind, I think the root issue/message is that he is saying that they must demand a higher standard from themselves, and if you are not willing to do that then you perhaps don't belong in the group. It's a call to the team to shape up, even though frustration with a certain player or two is what caused it.

If I had to guess at who pissed him off, I'm going to say Bozak. He was floating a bit before he started to backcheck in that situation, and gave up on the play instead of trying a desperation move to stop it. Now I don't blame Bozak one bit there. First thing happens all the time, PP players are in a certain mode and you often see players react a bit slow when they need to get on the defensive. Second thing, he didn't have time. Still, I can totally see a goaltender get pissed because of the optics there. Fits the comments well.

Last edited:

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Start by looking at the guys on the Marner PP unit, specifically mentioned the lack of effort on the Simmonds goal. Considering the first goal, I think Marner would probably be the biggest focus of his ire right now.

To be fair, Marner was pretty critical of himself in his comments too.

Maurice Del Taco

Oct 13, 2015
I wonder where Freddy is placed in the lockerroom hierarchy? Is he a player the others listens to?
If not, I don't hope his comments backfires - and some guys stops helping him out entirely...

Thoughts?

BTW - I like it when players speaks out - a change for better has to come from within.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
A post on Reddit claims Freddy yelled “Wake the f*** up!” at the PP2 unit and was caught on mic. Take that for what it’s worth as I believe he’s calling out the entire team, himself included. (Although I would exclude him, he probably doesn’t)

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Agreed but here is the thing. Is Marners problem he feels sorry for himself? Or rather beats himself up? I feel Andersen was calling out certain guys he sees everyday, knows things we dont and is sick of it. I would be too if I were him. He is the reason we are in a spot right now..without him we would be just the same as edmonton.

I get management is holding true to their methods of patience and building a dynasty. But its going too far, perhaps the trade deadline is making me more anxious. Maybe even affecting our young core...but enough is enough. We have the best coach in the league yet game after game the same mistakes by the same people. Imagine we lose Reilly for an extended period ..wow.

We need to fix this issue. First play Dermott far more than Carrick. He looks like a stud...but we cant know true potential when he is paired with cement legs Polak or give away machine Gardiner.

Funniest thing i keep hearing "leafs are safe in a playoff spot" we are far from. These last 2 or so weeks remind me of our 1-11 skid with Wilson. If we cant fix this internally..im sorry but a trade needs to be made. I know itll happen but hurry up lol

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
A post on Reddit claims Freddy yelled “Wake the f*** up!” at the PP2 unit and was caught on mic. Take that for what it’s worth as I believe he’s calling out the entire team, himself included. (Although I would exclude him, he probably doesn’t)
Oh yeah, I heard that loud and clear. Can't promise it was Freddy, I thought it was Babcock to be honest.

Funniest thing i keep hearing "leafs are safe in a playoff spot" we are far from.
We have a 12 point cushion on some of the worst teams in the league. We could sleepwalk our way into the playoffs.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I wonder where Freddy is placed in the lockerroom hierarchy? Is he a player the others listens to?
If not, I don't hope his comments backfires - and some guys stops helping him out entirely...

Thoughts?

BTW - I like it when players speaks out - a change for better has to come from within.

I'm not sure about Freddy, but I'd be more interested to know where the three vets we signed in summer are in the locker room make-up and why Freddy feels like venting to the media will be beneficial.

Maybe nothing really get said beyond whatever Babcock says.

Reactions: cookie

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Start by looking at the guys on the Marner PP unit, specifically mentioned the lack of effort on the Simmonds goal. Considering the first goal, I think Marner would probably be the biggest focus of his ire right now.

To be fair, Marner was pretty critical of himself in his comments too.
critical is fine ...he ll do it next game too ...he s weak ...maybe put him on connor browns line ....
show him how it is ,,
Freddie knows more than hes letting on .
maybe some players are staying out late after losses etc ..
but at least we know what nylander signs for next year ..take browns contract and copy it.
marner has another year but players on pace for 10 goals that fall 10 times a game ,,,,get a little less ..
a little sarcastic remark ,but I think Freddie ,finally said what needs to be said
its priveledge not a right to be a leaf
these defensive mistakes are unacceptable any longer ,same guys ,making the DUMB and DUMBER guys look like maple leaf legends

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
It's probably everyone, and he has a point. Hopefully it is a wake up call for them, but probably not.

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
No doubt Marner is one of the culprits. But in no way should Kadri escape this. He has been invisible for almost a quarter of the season now. These are players that play for the back of the sweater and their play has always shown it.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009

Thoughts?

They better give respect to their #1 who gives them a chance to win everynight. He has every right to call someone out, he's been lights out for months now.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Watching Kadri, Gardiner and Bozak loaf around out there makes me sick. I suspect they're included in Freddie's call-out.

I'm a big Kadri fan when he's used correctly but he shouldn't be playing 3v3. He can't skate and takes ill-advised shots streaking down the side with his muffin of a shot and then it goes back the other way for an odd man rush.

The only people who should see any ice time in those situations are those who can skate and hold on to the puck.

There needs to be a closed-door players only meeting and maybe even sit some vets and give Leivo and Kapanen a shot. Some bruised egos might kick-start some of these bums.

Reactions: hullsy47

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I think we either need to accept this team is young and will make young mistakes or accept this team sucks and we need wholesale changes.

Rielly a very young dman made mistakes in consecutive games and those mistakes ended up being the winning goal in both cases.

Last night the dman should have played the 2 on 1 in the OT to take away the cross ice pass. that is not youth that is just Jake being Jake ;)

The more I think about Babcocks stubbornness and his desire to drill a certain system into the players game, I'm starting to think there is a bigger picture here, not just teaching the kids how to play playoff hockey but I think this is to see what the Leafs are lacking skill wise so Lou can target those types of players in the summer. the Leafs always seem to be a split second late on the dump in so IMO we are going to target forwards who excel at puck retrieval on the dump in. I think or D is piss poor in keeping the lanes clear and in advancing the puck when they are under pressure, I think we are going to target Dman who can make quick reads and advance the puck quickly.

The players we have today are in essence telling Lou what they are every time they lose a 50/50 battle, every time they turnover the puck in our own end. Although Leaf fans don't like the fact we have not won in regulation in almost 3 weeks, I think this experience will go a long way in shaping the team in a positive way in years to come.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

yah. Andy doesn't seem like the guy who would hold himself over everyone else.
I'm not gonna say he's saying out one guy - but more of, especially with them honouring Bower ( :( ) but stating that being a Leaf is a privilege not a right, let's not get complacent, and think we've achieved stuff.

the only thing i am gonna say is (and i'm saying this for consistancy) is that Andy better hope the next few games he doesn't lay a stinker or a HUGE muffin. He's totally 100 percent in the right to say what he said re: the team but the last two times goalies (also well within their rights to call out the team) did that, they had the worst games ever the next few days following.

Reactions: slozo and frog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->