Speculation: Who specifically was Andersen calling out

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Freddy had been getting tons of incidental contact recently... He was recently fined for embellishment. If this is the case, then it's not just the mishaps the Leafs players are making that he's concerned about. Instead, I think it's the overall commitment the players are, rather, are not showing. From what I see, our team seems to be playing from whistle to whistle--little to no extra-curricular stuff, not standing up for the goalie when he's being knocked down repeatedly. Basically a lack of appreciation for the guy that's keeping them in most games. The cushion we have so far going into the playoffs seems to be affecting the level of play.

What's frustrating is that this kind of outburst is generally reserved for the dressing room. If the guys aren't self-aware to the shortcomings in their level of play, how far removed are we then from a country club atmosphere?

(Ironically, the shot metrics from the first half of the season aren't too different from the second half. Also, the 100+ PDO the team was sitting on earlier in the season is shifting more towards the on-ice save percentage. Unfortunately, the shots against are of a much higher quality)

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
Does expressing your opinion to the press on how your team mates are playing have any value? Doubtful.
Assuming that players have more game than you're seeing can also be presumptuous.
Any athlete will tell you that when things are going right it's effortless and when things go south, it stays south no matter what they do. They honestly think they're doing the same things and even putting in more effort, working harder and they probably are.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
It happens to a lot of players (like Andy in October), but Kadri seems to get it worse than everyone.

Lots of players are playing poorly. With some looking like they're not even trying.

Does OP call out Bozak or JVR? Nope. It's always Kadri.

[MOD]

No, certain people are just far more sensitive about Kadri than anyone else. Bozak, JVR, Komarov, Gardiner, Andersen, Polak, Martin all get far more hate than Naz does. Far more.

Naz has been terrible for a little bit now. The whole team has. The OP is not a 'Kadri hater' in the least and has called out multiple other players just recently. Seriously, this calling people out over Nazem Kadri is getting ridiculous on these boards. And I know I'm not the only one who's noticed.

Last edited by a moderator:

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
It happens to a lot of players (like Andy in October), but Kadri seems to get it worse than everyone.

Lots of players are playing poorly. With some looking like they're not even trying.

[MOD]

JVR and Bozak, along with Polak are the go-to guys for hatred on these boards.Trying to imply that there are other reasons for fans crapping on Kadri right now is ludicrous. Half the team is playing like crap right now and Kadri just happens to be one of them - end of story.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Veterans do not call out other veterans, especially in a 2-0 game which one kid blew away for the whole team.

Someone had to say it. The coach is mindful that is Hunter's boy the hockey dad, who may be the future GM. Imagine that for the hockey mom.

To say they need a better attitude, that is just covering up a little bit. Sure, they can all play better, blah blah blah, but we all know who really really screwed up.

If this was Levio, Maricin, Moore, they're gone. After the first goal, Marner still gets to go on the power play.

Just ice it like Polak.

The Bozak line was on the ice for several icings last night, and guess what, nothing happened.

Just ice it.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Kadri is fine b.c he is playing tight defense on the opposing top line. To me if Marner, Bozak, JVR and to some extend Willie are not scoring while leaking goals in defense, they get demote to 4th line. For all the crap about JVR not playing D, he is the most consistent scorer on the team.
The thing is, it is not time to point finger at someone and boom, the team will start playing well again. I think the idea of always having lefty-righty pairing is really forcing the Leafs to not play their best 6 Dmen. Can't wait till Zai comes back, that way maybe both Borgman and Dermott can play in the same game.
The other thing is the team is not clicking in offense. I understand about playoff hockey....but when they played against the Caps, Leafs were still creating chances, heck, I would even say they created more chances than the Caps. They really need to get better in offense. Maybe mix the lineups a little. Put Willie-Marleau and JVR together. Let Kadri-Leo-Kap be the shut down line, have Matthews with Hyman and Leivo, then have a 4th line of Marner-Goat-Martin/Moore. Let Marner play against opposing 4th line grinder, let him learn and adapt to playing against heavy players. See how Willie do with both offensive player, last time that happened, he won MVP at the Worlds. Let Matthews play with Leivo and see if Leivo can create space and score with Matthews. Lets Kap uses his speed to compensate in Leo losing a step or two.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Freddy has to wake up to. Calling out other players on your team or whatever is so immature and unprofessional. Everyone rocks the boat together.

Lmfao Freddy is the sole reason why he’s even able to call anyone out right now. The guy is single handedly keeping this team afloat and it’s been evident for a while now. He can call out whoever he wants when he’s the only one doin his job consistently each and every night.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Lmfao Freddy is the sole reason why he’s even able to call anyone out right now. The guy is single handedly keeping this team afloat and it’s been evident for a while now. He can call out whoever he wants when he’s the only one doin his job consistently each and every night.

Give me goalie equipment and a pair of construction boots and I will stop 99% shots from the blue line, Andersen has lost us as many games as he has won.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Give me goalie equipment and a pair of construction boots and I will stop 99% shots from the blue line, Andersen has lost us as many games as he has won.

Frederik Andersen is showing game by game why he’s an elite goaltender. He makes a lot of high danger saves every single game and he is the SOLE reason why we are in playoff contention. This team despite having one of the most talented young cores in the league wouldn’t even be half of where it is without Frederik Andersen. His comments are completely warranted and I’m glad he said enough’s enough and called out the guys leaving him hung out to dry. Am I saying he doesn’t have miscues when playing the puck? Not at all, because he does, but he’s so good at playing the puck that I’ll take the miscues. This guy is an absolute warrior for our team and by far the MVP this season and last. If it wasn’t for him in the series vs WSH we would have been swept...

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I get management is holding true to their methods of patience and building a dynasty. But its going too far

They are 18 months removed from being last in the league and you've decided it has already gone too far? Sweet Jebus.

Funniest thing i keep hearing "leafs are safe in a playoff spot" we are far from.

Um, if you look at the standings I think you will find that they are, in fact, in a playoff spot - and they are 12 points clear with crappy teams behind them.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Freddy has to wake up to. Calling out other players on your team or whatever is so immature and unprofessional. Everyone rocks the boat together.
I don't agree he is signed here for years ,,,some players earlier in the year were anointed with absurd 6 and 7 years deals
freddy brought focus on the culprits ...no captain the next best player steps up
ifu played the game ud know ....Mathews wont call out mitch ,willie or gards

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Freddie showing frustration and leadership in a public situation is a good thing too. I like that honesty and urgency way more than Kadri going "herp derp, feel good, everything's okay don't mind my one assist in 20 games and counting thing."

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I think Freddy showing frustration and leadership in a public setting is a good thing. Same with Kadri who isnt too worried about his production, and focused on giving a good efort. Its way better then Bozak saying the usual "we need to work harder herp derp. Just ignore my attrocious defensive play from the past 6 seasons and countibg thing

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
one the of the dumbest posts I have seen on this site. Andersen was bad in October but has been the Leafs best player from November on. He is closing in on 3 amazing months of play. I get that you were being sarcastic with the 99% statement, but Andersen is the best goalie the Leafs have had since the start of 2000. Better than belfour, cujo, reimer, and all the rest. The team has not been providing him with any offensive support for a while now. We are in a playoff spot mainly due to three players and Andersen is one of them. Rielly, Andersen, and Matthews(even then he has been quite disappointing despite being so important to the leafs) are the leafs three most impactful players when taking in the entire season into account. We need the team to stop choking away leads and being poor defensively. Too many games we just go into a shell and stop playing offense, leading to Andersen having to face a variety of shots. The leafs voluntarily attempt to play defense, which rarely ever works considering we have several poor defensive forwards as well as odds of being able to turtle and have your goalie bail you out being slim. Andersen has the right to call out the leafs skaters. Babcock deserves to be criticized this year for his usage of certain players. The leafs as a whole are a team not playing well right now and are not winning many games. This team needs to take Andersen's comments to heart and start producing points.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I think Freddy showing frustration and leadership in a public setting is a good thing. Same with Kadri who isnt too worried about his production, and focused on giving a good efort. Its way better then Bozak saying the usual "we need to work harder herp derp. Just ignore my attrocious defensive play from the past 6 seasons and countibg thing

This guy cant speak about Kadri without trashing Bozak in every single thread, smh

Last edited:

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
one the of the dumbest posts I have seen on this site. Andersen was bad in October but has been the Leafs best player from November on. He is closing in on 3 amazing months of play. I get that you were being sarcastic with the 99% statement, but Andersen is the best goalie the Leafs have had since the start of 2000. Better than belfour, cujo, reimer, and all the rest. The team has not been providing him with any offensive support for a while now. We are in a playoff spot mainly due to three players and Andersen is one of them. Rielly, Andersen, and Matthews(even then he has been quite disappointing despite being so important to the leafs) are the leafs three most impactful players when taking in the entire season into account. We need the team to stop choking away leads and being poor defensively. Too many games we just go into a shell and stop playing offense, leading to Andersen having to face a variety of shots. The leafs voluntarily attempt to play defense, which rarely ever works considering we have several poor defensive forwards as well as odds of being able to turtle and have your goalie bail you out being slim. Andersen has the right to call out the leafs skaters. Babcock deserves to be criticized this year for his usage of certain players. The leafs as a whole are a team not playing well right now and are not winning many games. This team needs to take Andersen's comments to heart and start producing points.
sure bud, you must not reread your posts.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

[MOD]
Sadly some people just have a hate on for Kadri. Like the "Kadri cant play with half the wingers on the team" When people point this stuff out, and even say one negative thing about other players(like Bozak) they come at you like fire ants and say "no no stop hating Bozak. He gets most of the hate" The thing is people are just to sensitive about #42 minus king, as they cant deal with someone who believes he isnt perfect.
There is no question Kadri gets more hate then other players.
This whole thing of people calling out the fans of Nazem Kadri is getting tiresome and there are quite a few that see this as well.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Regardless of who Freddy was calling out, it was a well timed 'in your face' moment to the TEAM. One of their own has challenged them, the fella whose play has probably been the strongest on the team all year long. Hard to back away from that. I'm guessing Babs and Lou will be paying close attention to see if anyone doesn't pick up their play over the next few games.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I think we either need to accept this team is young and will make young mistakes or accept this team sucks and we need wholesale changes.

Rielly a very young dman made mistakes in consecutive games and those mistakes ended up being the winning goal in both cases.

Last night the dman should have played the 2 on 1 in the OT to take away the cross ice pass. that is not youth that is just Jake being Jake ;)

The more I think about Babcocks stubbornness and his desire to drill a certain system into the players game, I'm starting to think there is a bigger picture here, not just teaching the kids how to play playoff hockey but I think this is to see what the Leafs are lacking skill wise so Lou can target those types of players in the summer. the Leafs always seem to be a split second late on the dump in so IMO we are going to target forwards who excel at puck retrieval on the dump in. I think or D is piss poor in keeping the lanes clear and in advancing the puck when they are under pressure, I think we are going to target Dman who can make quick reads and advance the puck quickly.

The players we have today are in essence telling Lou what they are every time they lose a 50/50 battle, every time they turnover the puck in our own end. Although Leaf fans don't like the fact we have not won in regulation in almost 3 weeks, I think this experience will go a long way in shaping the team in a positive way in years to come.
Yes. We're young. Our expectations were too high. They'e still a decent team, it's just hard watching them not meet their potential.

Reactions: hullsy47

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->